PDA

View Full Version : How can i get rid of Hydra?

starrystarstarr
03-28-2007, 9:59 PM
I have some in my cherry shrimp tank and its making me crazy. Noticed the hydra after a blow up of cyclop population. Ive been doing 20-30% water changes every other day and feeding my shrimp once every 3 days. I just want the f*3^ing hydra gone!!

nickmcmechan
03-29-2007, 3:07 PM
Try extensove gravel cleaning daily with 20% water changes for next 2-3 weeks...

liv2padl
03-29-2007, 4:36 PM
salt is useful for the erradication of hydra at 0.3-0.5 % for five days. you'd have to remove the shrimp temporarily of course.

starrystarstarr
03-29-2007, 4:40 PM
I removed the shrimp to a qt 10g tank. Have risen the temp temp 100+ degrees and added some salt >;D I'll keep it like that for a few days and of course do tons of water changes. GRRRR so upset over the whole thing. Thank you all for your imput.

VTwinFanatic
03-30-2007, 3:17 PM
I have the same problem...what exactly are the problem w/ the hydra being in the tank?...Ive read that they (certain species) can eat small fish and inverts, but the ones in my tank are 2mm at the most. I have 100's of cherry shrimp and dont seem to be missing any...lol....but what is the real problem with them if they arent bothering anything?

liv2padl
03-30-2007, 3:27 PM
what is the real problem with them actually nothing. ;)

starrystarstarr
03-30-2007, 7:26 PM
Ive read that they can eat baby shrimp, didn't want to take that chance. And they can have a nasty sting to small animals. I just don't want a crazy amount of them in my tank. heres a link with some info about them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydra_(genus)

loaches r cool
03-30-2007, 8:46 PM
salt is useful for the erradication of hydra at 0.3-0.5 % for five days. you'd have to remove the shrimp temporarily of course.

What does that work out to in specific gravity do you know? I have hydra in my brackish tank and its thriving.

starrystarstarr
04-03-2007, 10:41 PM
I put in tons of salt and turned up the heat for about 3 days. Doing water changes (about 99%) twice a day for the first 3 days. Now i'm just doing water changes to get rid of left over salt and have every thing nice and clean. In a week my shrimp will be back in their home.

PufferFan
04-04-2007, 12:58 AM
lol i had hydra twice in two tanks both wile they where cycling i simply let them die im cycling a ten gallon and a 5 gallon we will see if they get them...

do they need light?

apistomaster
04-04-2007, 3:25 PM
Only Flubenol works on Hydra. I have never tried it with invertes but I doubt if it is safe. Hydra are the "Day of the Triffids" of the aquaria. If you have live plants and feed bbs and or cyclops/daphnia you WILL have Hydras. You can starve them out to invisibility by only using FD CyclopEeze and live microworms don't seem to turn them on but they are virtually impossible to eliminate no matter what some products claim and none of the arcane eradication methods found on the net or publications work.
They are a dismal prospect, they can harm small aquatic life forms but thy are mainly an unsightly nuisance creature.
Larry

mags50
04-21-2007, 1:44 PM
:confused:
I have some in my cherry shrimp tank and its making me crazy. Noticed the hydra after a blow up of cyclop population. Ive been doing 20-30% water changes every other day and feeding my shrimp once every 3 days. I just want the f*3^ing hydra gone!!
what is hydra its not little like worms is it

loaches r cool
04-21-2007, 5:49 PM
Here are some pics I took of them in my tank... sorry not the best pics since they are very tiny (like 1/4" at the tallest) and I dont have any fancy macro lense or anything (just my 3.2MP point n shoot).

http://tristan.homelinux.net/fish/forum/hydra1.JPG

http://tristan.homelinux.net/fish/forum/hydra2.JPG

Aislinn
04-22-2007, 10:20 AM
They look like little aliens. Those are some pretty good pictures for being taken with a point 'n shoot.

untoldlegacy
04-24-2007, 12:11 AM
hmmm thing on wikipedia says hydras are biologicaly immortal, sounds like tons of fun to get rid of ;)

nickmcmechan
04-25-2007, 12:46 AM
So, should we worry if we get Hydra?

stepan
05-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Prevention: If you catch your own live food, you should always place it in a bucket for 15 minutes. The present Hydra will attach themselves to the side and the bottom of the bucket.
Treatments:
1) Raising the temperature to 45 degrees((110F). Prior to this remove the fish and the snails from the tank. The plants can be left in the tank since they can stand this temperature. The temperature only needs to be kept this high for a short period, 5 minutes will suffice.
2) Treat the aquarium with Dactycid(Colombo).

ronw007
05-16-2007, 3:05 PM
I had hydra in my guppy tank about a month ago. From what I have read it comes from feeding newly hatched baby brine shrimp. I had a breeder net in my guppy tank with new baby's and was feeding them three times a day and about 2 weeks later is when I noticed the hydra. I had come across some info while seaching another web site and it explained in great detail what hydra are, where they come from and what to do to get rid of them. Try to google hydra and see if you can find the info, if I could find the info I would send you the link. From what I have read they are very harmful to young fry, they have a type of venom/toxin that even if the fry come in contact with them they will eventually die. I got rid of them once my fry where transfered out of that tank. I scrumbed down all the sides and bottom of the tank very well and did at least 50% water change and as of 3 weeks I have not seem the hydra. Hope this helps.

ronw007
05-16-2007, 7:30 PM
Here is the info I was talking about.

http://www.yatfs.com/new_page_10.htm

Hope this helps