PDA

View Full Version : Petsmart Dwarf Puffer fish...

Brian Bivens
07-19-2007, 9:23 PM
First off, has anyone purchased dwarf puffers from Petsmart? How did it turn out, any health issues?

Next, I have heard mixed reviews, that they are peaceful, aggressive, semi aggressive. That they must be kept alone, in groups, species only, with other fish... I have heard it all. Can someone who owns them, with real experience tell me about their compatibility, their temperament etc...

Thank you

exu
07-19-2007, 10:09 PM
I have had good luck with the puffers at petsmart. Only place you can get them in my area. Species tank is recommended as they can be very aggressive and territorial. Read this for my own experience trying to integrate them into a community setup.
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118897
1 puffer for every 3 gallons seems the general rule. I have kept 3 in a 10 gallon and they seem pretty content. They do require live or frozen foods. Frozen bloodworms seem to work really well, though I have seen a few people report that they can't get theirs to eat them. I have never had any problem. They relish baby snails. They will not eat flake food.

jm1212
07-19-2007, 10:12 PM
species only, but you can keep them in groups

since petsmart only feeds flakes to their fish, the DPs you will find are usually pretty thin...

bullseye69
07-19-2007, 10:49 PM
I have 2 DP's from pet smart for about 5 months now and they are doing great. i have them in a 10 g with 1 oto, and they don't bother the oto. i would say also to do a species only. i have tried to put ghost shrimp in but they are eaten within the hour. mine are not to picky if you condition them on frozen food, i have mine eating frozen bloodworms and glass worms, their man food is i feed them pond snails. the trick for the bloodworms as i found out is to try to only put in a few and let it go in the current of the filter, that way they think it's alive and go after it. i enjoy them and I think you would too. Also never put in a apple snail the can open there flap and will eat them (just a side note)

spirals
07-19-2007, 11:22 PM
I'd agree with the species only tank, they can be mean little buggers when put with community fish. At my store I feed them bloodworms and brine shrimp. Hilarious to see this little puffer with a bloodwork the size of its body sticking out of its mouth.
Get at least a 10G, 2/3 fish, some plants, and enjoy :)

FishyMatty
07-19-2007, 11:27 PM
I didn't get mine from a chain store but I have 7 in a heavily planted 20g with one pair of apistogramma trifasiata. I used to have 5 black neons in there but it was a little too crowded. I also have a bunch of ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp in with them. I never saw any aggression towards any of the other fish and only mild squabbling between puffers and thats because there is a breeding pair in there.
I would have to believe that like most fish petsmart or petco sell their puffers are from fish farms where inbreeding is the standard and that could definitely cause aggression.

lia-w
07-20-2007, 1:28 AM
Oh, I have been looking at them as well. Good to hear that they live.

fgump
07-20-2007, 1:55 AM
I would have to believe that like most fish petsmart or petco sell their puffers are from fish farms where inbreeding is the standard and that could definitely cause aggression.

I'm pretty sure my next tank is going to be a 20 gallon DP tank. And the only place I've seen them for sale around here is PetsMart. If what you say is true, where would you suggest getting them?

mostlycichlids
07-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Just make sure they don't catch them in a net if you buy any. They need to be kept in water and should not be introduced to air. They can suck a lot of air in which can fill their stomach and can kill them. The proper way to handle them is to catch them under water in a cup and then transfer them. Thats my 2 cents.

yonsu
07-20-2007, 10:58 AM
I was told that PetSmart is actually breeding their own dwarf puffers, which explains the price drop in the past few years. Not sure how true this statement is. In any case, I have seen the employees at my PetSmart feeding frozen foods..

FishyMatty
07-20-2007, 11:18 AM
If they are breeding their own DPs then it is most likely they are being inbred. I got 4 of mine from a non chain LFS and three mail order from AZgardens.com
The three from AZ are the sweetest of the bunch. But my breeding pair is from the LFS.
The reason for not catching the puffers in a net is just in case they puff. I have scooped my DPs in a net before as well as green spotted and figure 8 puffers. Never had a problem. I don't disagree that it is just good practice to scoop them in a cup of water but in most cases if done correctly netting should be fine. If the guy nets them and they do puff air you will know it and then don't buy them.

J double R
07-20-2007, 11:20 AM
guys, if this turns into another fish store bashing thread, it's going to get deleted, end of story. lets make sure we keep this civil and appropriate :)

mostlycichlids
07-20-2007, 11:36 AM
guys, if this turns into another fish store bashing thread, it's going to get deleted, end of story. lets make sure we keep this civil and appropriate :)

What? No one was bashing any stores! I for one like Petsmart and shop there every week. In fact 4 of the thirteen posts compliment Petsmart for their dwarf puffers!

Gouramigirl71
07-20-2007, 1:01 PM
I got my dwarf puffers from petsmart and one of them is doing great. He killed the other one though. I have a couple of feeder guppies that were given to me in with him and he just ignores them. I guess he just didn't like that other puffer in there with him!

Dwarf Puffers
07-20-2007, 1:09 PM

Ummm... Jdub... I didn't hear anyone bash. At all. :flamed: :confused:

FishyMatty
07-20-2007, 1:10 PM
Hey bud, you know we don't even have PetSmart around here, I've never been to one either.
Any way no bashing from me.
Sorry

PufferFan
07-20-2007, 2:17 PM
i have a ten gallon puffer tank i have ottos and ghost shrimp in there and its working out great

link in sig also that will take you to the dwarf puffer forum

J double R
07-20-2007, 2:19 PM
why get so defensive? i said IF. (read previous post)

IF.

KidInTheHall
07-20-2007, 8:47 PM
Because you went on the offensive before anyone even did anything wrong.

dixienut
07-20-2007, 9:55 PM
i have 5 dp all from petsmart they are doing fine, but i have had them for a year, the puffs i see in there now are thin with internal parasites.. as i was going to get more of them due to the loss of 2 in my 10, male had wound and female died of loneliness stopped eating and hid. put her in with the others and she was so happy... but the male didn't want her and she hid and starved..

they are very intelligent and very teritorial, i have 4 f and 1 m and he's the boss.. the other 2 she was the boss.. but even the boss needs to be loved..
i would use a 20 L for the extra footprint as they chase each other all the time.. the females are on a constant pecking order...

very nice fish to own.. mine don't bother gost shrimp ..or all their snails but a few they are lazy and only want frozen bloodworms.. the 2 deceased ones only liked snails..

severum mama
07-20-2007, 11:37 PM
I suspect he isn't going on the offensive so much as there have been an inordinate amount of chain store-bashing posts lately. It's getting old, and could become a legal issue (not saying that it will). To me, that post reads as simply a warning.

At any rate, I don't often purchase fish from chain stores and would recommend buying them at a mom and pop place if you can find one. If the mom and pop joints around you don't sell them, it may be possible to special order. In many cases, I find that the standard of care for fish is higher at local businesses (though this is certainly not always the case), and as such, I try to patronize these sorts of stores.

PPMN
07-21-2007, 12:15 AM
Mine are from Petsmart...were very healthy when I got them and have had them for a year now. I've never had a problem with buying fish from Petsmart, other than ich occasionally which I've also seen in fish coming from the small LFS's around here. The only thing I find is that smaller LFS employee's and usually more knowledgeable.

PPMN
07-21-2007, 12:19 AM
By the way, they will usually be anywhere from "skinny" to "super-skinny" at pet stores. It's because they are young, and also don't get fed appropriately more often than not. So to the person who said the skinniness means they have internal parasites, well...I would say that probably isn't the true most of the time.

galen
07-21-2007, 10:28 PM
wow, the usual keyboard warriors are at it AGAIN!