Where does a betta REALLY live in the wild?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Featherfin

Student
May 2, 2007
Savannah, GA
All information is taken from Labyrinth Fish: The Bubble Nest Builders

Written by Horst Link

Published by Tetra in 1991

(Okay, just in case some of you don't know, there are MANY species of betta. The veil tails and fancy bettas you usually see don't ever exist in the wild because they've been bred to look the way they do by natives in Thailand, Borneo, Maylasia, etc..but to keep this from getting insanely detailed, I am going to focus only on the wild form of Betta splendens, the original form of the Siamese fighting fish, as it is most pertinent.)

Link says:

"In my opinion, the natural distribution range is very much smaller than had been supposed until now and is, in fact, restricted to central, western, and northern Thailand...Betta splendens lives in paddy fields and associated ditches, in marshes and flooded grass pits and in the klongs (canals) of the residential parts of towns and villages. At different times of the year, they may be very numerous."

"These fish are seen to best advantage in a smaller tank 70cm long by 40cm wide and about 30cm high containing plenty of plants in parts...(he goes on to list what kinds of filtration, lighting, heat...species of plants...the kind of gravel. He's very particular - but notice that he believes they should have all of these things to be healthy)

you'll need to know this word for the next paragraph:
ten·a·ble
/ˈtɛn
ə
bəl/
Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ten-uh-buh
l]
Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1.capable of being held, maintained, or defended, as against attack or dispute: a tenable theory.

The view that fighting fish often live in mudholes and therefore can be kept in such conditions is not really tenable. The fish will exhibit their full finery in a well-established, balanced aquarium and it is only under such conditions that their keeper will be able to appreciate their beauty at its best."

---

Here is a klong:

a paddy field:

These aren't mud puddles, obviously.

Just because they have labyrinth organs doesn't mean they can live in a cesspool. It just means they can live in warm, shallow, slow moving water with a low oxygen content.

In conclusion, let's treat bettas like all other fish, and give them enough room, flow, filtration, plants, heat and food to thrive.

soobie

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
eastern oregon, USA
Real Name
Sue
Hear hear! :clap:

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
I agree with everything in this thread.

anybody willing to make it a sticky? (i know its fairly specific to be made a sticky, but i will definitely keep this in my list of "quick reference links" to send to the many people that need to read it.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
That's the wild bettas. The ones from the LFS? Their natural biotope is a plastic cup.

I kid, I kid.

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
That's what I've read about them too.

You'll notice when you upgrade a betta from a 5 gal to a 10 gal, that it is in fact happier! Their natural environment is not the mud puddles that some folks make it out to be. In fact, I keep a couple of female bettas in a heavily planted 45 gallon, and they are great community fish, and they love to rest on the leaves of my plants and hide throughout the plants and rockwork. I had 3 females, but the odd girl out had to move to her own 10 gallon. Again, she's happy.:)

Great post, very informative! As we all can see, they do NOT live in puddles!!!

feemia

AC Members
Mar 20, 2007
South-Central Washington
From http://betta.tasarin.net/aquarium.php

"There is a stereotype that in the wild, bettas live in tiny muddy pools, and therefore that it is acceptable to keep them in small tanks, but bowls are usually too small. In reality, bettas live in vast paddies, the puddle myth originating from the fact that during the dry season, the paddies can dry out into small patches of water. It is not a natural state of affairs by any means, and in the wild, fish trapped in such puddles are likely to die in a short period of time when they dry out."

When I was planning to purchase my betta, I remember thinking that a 10 gallon tank for one fish was a waste of space, but I wish now that I'd gone with the 10 instead of the 5. He seems a bit bored in the 5, and I think he would move around and display himself much more in a 10. It's actually a waste of a fish to put a betta in a tiny bowl.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store