PDA

View Full Version : How long before releasing guppy fry into general pop.?

iamgroovy
10-22-2007, 6:42 AM
In general, how many weeks should I keep my guppy fry seperated from the rest of the tank. I realize alot depends on growth rate but I'd just like a general idea.

Mine are about two weeks old and I feed them two to three times a day and they are a little over a 1/4 inch (5 or 6 mm) long now.

Lupin
10-22-2007, 6:49 AM
What fish do you have in your community?

JohnInFlorida
10-22-2007, 7:59 AM
They should be fine once they're "bigger than a mouthful"! :drool: :naughty:

Keep Smilin'
John :)

iamgroovy
10-22-2007, 8:10 AM
What fish do you have in your community?

The only other occupants are adult guppies, brigs snails, cories and cherry shrimp.

They should be fine once they're "bigger than a mouthful"! :drool: :naughty:

Keep Smilin'

Yes, but that's a little difficult to judge....

JohnInFlorida
10-22-2007, 8:26 AM
Didn't mean to sound like a smartazz ...
If it's still "difficult to judge" they're still too small. But if all they have to dodge is adult guppies and shrimp, they shouldn't need much longer.

Keep Smilin'

iamgroovy
10-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Thanks John!
Maybe another week then...they're starting to show just a little hint of color and look more like little fish than tadpoles now...The sound of the airpump attached the nursery is really annoying so I'm anxious to release them and shut it off!:)

OhNo123
10-22-2007, 3:15 PM
I have guppy fry that are between 1.1 month to 3 days old. :D I'm not releasing them until they are more then 1 inch.

Dwarf Puffers
10-22-2007, 3:21 PM
Sounds good to me, I've had 1 different platy babie survive happily each pregnancy, and now have the mother platy (Around 1.7"), first born (1"), second born (1/2"-3/5") and new baby (1/4"-1/3") all doing well in a 75g including female bettas.

iamgroovy
10-22-2007, 6:33 PM
I have guppy fry that are between 1.1 month to 3 days old. :D I'm not releasing them until they are more then 1 inch.

If I wait until they are more than 1 inch, that nursery will be awfully crowded! :)
I wish I had room for a seperate fry tank...hmmm MTS strikes again!

jm1212
10-22-2007, 7:09 PM
˝-žin should be fine, depending on how big your adults are. male guppies are pretty little, but females can acctually get to 2 inches long.

iamgroovy
10-22-2007, 8:16 PM
Yes, my males are pretty small but my females are amazons by comparison!

sheloudre
10-28-2007, 7:07 PM
In July, we had 20 fry born. After a full month, they were all roughly 1/2 - 3/4" long - we put a couple of them back into the main tank, and the adults had lunch. Thank god we didn't put all of them in - only 1-2 of the biggest ones. So we kept the rest out for another 2-3 weeks. I won't make that mistake with the batch we just got last monday - another 20. They stay in the QT tank until they are big enough.

Maybe try putting a female in a breeder in the fry tank, see what she does? Ours try to go after the babies when they see them if they're too small. That's how we tested for size, after the first error above.

PS> it didn't seem to matter how much we fed the adults either. They still went after babies.

Eupterus
10-28-2007, 8:03 PM
I highly reccomend the breeder trap/ breeder net method. You can see the other fish's reaction. If they see them and nip..you'll know. Lacking this I would put them in a plastic cu[p..anything that would allow the adults to see them.

iamgroovy
10-29-2007, 12:59 PM
I have them in one of these:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=14698&Ntt=nursery&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

sheloudre
10-29-2007, 5:23 PM
Wow! haven't seen those before, but man would they be handy!
A filtered breeder - novel idea! Mine never seem to get much water movement inside them, even when i put them in where water is moving most.

iamgroovy
10-29-2007, 8:34 PM
Yes, it is a nice little nursery. Of course, I'm not using any of the inside pieces. I never had to put the female guppies in it. The day after I got it, one of my females dropped fry so I just scooped them up and into the nursery box. Actually, after I scooped a couple in there, the others seemed drawn to it (safety in numbers?) and it was easy to catch them and put them in. I've even noticed fry born since, hovering around the nursery. I've caught a few but most end up as lunch for mom and dad:(