African Clawed Frog unable to use rear legs.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LindaD

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Ontario, Canada
I haven't posted here in ages.. I'm probaby the oldest member with the least amount of posts. LOL I need some help and figured this was the place to ask. ;)

My male ACF has lost most of the use in his rear legs. He basically went from singing and mating to being pretty much paralyzed in the past 24 hours.

He's housed with a female in an overfiltered 10g. I'm in the process of setting up a 40g long for them. Currently they are both about 2 inches not counting legs. She perfectly fine.

I've dropped the water level to make it easier for him to get air. He's spending the majority of his time at the surface though. He's also eating fine.. so I'm thinking this may be an injury?

Has anyone ever experienced this before? I'm wondering what his chances would be for recovery and whether I should think about euthanizing him. It's pitiful watching him trying to maneuver using only his front legs. :(

LindaD

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Ontario, Canada
No, no visable symptoms at all. His legs are normal.

He did escape the tank a week ago.. I stupidly left the lid open after feeding them. He landed on the dresser and then took off across the floor. I was in the room when it happened and I caught him pretty much right away. He was fine when I put him back in the tank. So I didn't think much of it.. Plus they or I should say he has been trying to mate with the female since. Unless he tried to jump again and injured himself hitting the lid? Or a decoration? There is a piece of Mopani wood in the tank.

Edit.. they are fed mainly frozen foods with the odd sinking pellet here and there.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I have been digging around all over the place looking for mention of paralysis. I have found nothing with any information at all. Just alot of info or redleg, bloating, and parasites and fungus. I think that dropping the water level is a good idea. Is there any redness to the undersid eof the abdomen?

LindaD

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Ontario, Canada
I've attached a couple pics I just took. No redness on his belly. I see nothing out of the ordinary with him.

The first pic you can see how he clenches his feet when he's on the bottom. He also had what seemed to be like a seizure right before I took that pic. I've never seen anything like this before. I don't know what to do for him. :(

ACF.jpg ACF1.jpg ACF2.jpg

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
gosh, I am really at a loss. I would pm Vicious_fish here on AC and see if he has any insights....Other than that, I will keep digging around for information on things you could try. I have my fingers crossed for you and your ACF!

LindaD

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Ontario, Canada
I just euthanized him. :(

I was just about to seperate him from the female (she started biting and pestering him) and he started having some sort of constant convulsions or seizures for almost 10 minutes straight. :confused:

I'm completely stumped as to what happened to him. He was perfectly fine..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store