PDA

View Full Version : What should I pay for 125 gallon used from craigslist

Kuthoht
12-29-2008, 10:57 PM
I'm in talks with a man about purchasing his 125 gallon tank.

It comes with an oak stand, 2 eheim pro II canisters, heater, glass top and flourescent light fixture.

He will include gravel and rocks if I wish as the tank is currently setup and running in his house with african cichlids.

He is asking $550.

I went to his house and viewed the tank in person. Everything appears to be in working order but the tank could use a good cleaning.

Is this ballpark for this setup? or should I offer less?

Any input is appreciated :)

ChrisK
12-29-2008, 11:00 PM
I'd offer 350-400. Did he say why he was getting rid of the tank?
what type of light fixture?

Kuthoht
12-29-2008, 11:02 PM
He is working on his PhD at the local college and wants to get out of the hobby. The tank has been for sale now on craigslist for 16 days. He is also selling 3 other smaller tanks that I'm not really interested in.

I just wanted to get some feedback from someone else. To me $550 seems a little high.

oh the light fixture is just your standard flourescent strip light. Two 36 inch tubes I think.

H3D
12-29-2008, 11:05 PM
$250 for the tank...$100 for each of those filters...plus the extras...sounds fair. Never hurts to see if they will go lower.

ChrisK
12-29-2008, 11:13 PM
thats really just a throw away light...I'd say 175 max for the tank and stand 30 for the glass top and 100 each for filters so 400-450 max...I bet he takes it!!! Let us know. And welcome to AC by the way

titansfever83
12-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Definitely try to go lower, I paid 300 for mine but it did not come with a filter, well not a canister, it come with a small 20 gal sump made by crystal clear exotics. Though the man did give me a very nice and very tall Oceanic stand and the aquarium is ALLGLASS.

try 400 or 450, the worst he can say is no. He will not be needing the money once he gets out of school:silly:

Kuthoht
12-29-2008, 11:59 PM
Couple pics of the tank.

titansfever83
12-30-2008, 12:21 AM
Looks like a really nice clean tank. Though I'm sure there are a few scratches where those big a$$ rocks are.

Really depends how bad you want it. If you plan to use everything he is offering then all you need is water, right?

I bought two heaters, an FX5, new substrate...... So I probably have about $600+/- in my 125 gal.

yourchoice
12-30-2008, 12:59 AM
Even with the conversion to Canadians funds I think that tank would sell pretty fast at$500- 550us.Nice filters.

What do you plan on keeping?Looks 18-20in high.

1oooop
12-30-2008, 1:27 AM
I'd say bout 300 for all of it...

Kuthoht
12-30-2008, 1:35 AM
Well I've been in the aquarium hobby for over 20 years. I've never owned a tank larger than 40 gallons. In that time I've tried most everything I could fit into tanks that size or smaller.

I know its fairly common but I'm interested in trying an oscar tank. I was thinking about a pair of oscars with some other compatiable tank mates. I think with a tank that size I'd like to go with some larger fish.

As a side note the owner is willing to part with some of his mbuna cichlids. They're are probably 30-40 of them in the tank but they're all small 1-2 inchs long that he bred. I'm considering just taking them but I'd rather stock with my own fish instead of just inheriting someone elses. They also would not go with oscars.

spunjin
12-30-2008, 1:44 AM
You could put more than a pair of oscars in a 125. Offer $350 for it and put the extra $$$$ into supplies.

titansfever83
12-30-2008, 3:50 AM
I would take the mbuna's if you think you can get rid of them quick. would be like cash back for buying the tank or maybe a butt load of store credit

WateryWorld
12-30-2008, 4:56 AM
The stand being oak adds to the value. Looks to be in very good condition, at least better than most you find used, even if you say it is dirty. If you want to save, maybe wait for one that doesn't have an oak stand. It's nice looking, I wish I had that stand. I think he set a good asking price if it comes with all necessary misc supplies.

Kuthoht
01-06-2009, 1:51 AM
So I bought the tank. Negotiated the price down to $450 from $550.

The man who sold me the tank helped me move it from his house to mine which was only like 3 miles away. He also threw in a bunch of flat rock he had used for cichlids.

I have the tank setup and filled. The tank came with over 100 lbs of pool filter sand substrate. I choose to keep this as I like the way it looks and I've never actually used sand. Since the tank was already setup for 2 years the sand was established with bacteria so that was another plus to keeping it. It did make the tank VERY murky and cloudy after first filling lol. Huge bacterial bloom but its mostly cleared up by now.

After cleaning up the tank and filters its in really good shape I'd say. One of the intake tubes for the eheim filter broke when I was moving it. The plastic was very brittle and just snapped. I was able to find a replacement on Big Al's for $7 so not a big deal really but I'm only running with one filter for the time being.

I have 1 tiger oscar, 1 tinfoil bard, 3 silver dollars, 1 pictus catfish currently in the tank. The oscar is only like 2 inches long so its a baby. I hope these are all capatiable tank mates in the long run.

I've attached a few pics of the tank one of which shows how cloudy the water was after initial filling.

Nolapete
01-06-2009, 2:13 AM
I wouldn't have paid that much for it, but all that matters is that you feel that you got a good deal on it.

I paid $100 for a 210 gallon with custom carpenter built stand, xP3, 40 gallon sump, 3 Eheim pumps, 36" UV sterilizer, and a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff. It had a Fluval, but the motor was burnt out on it.

Which is why I never consider filters like that in the price. They could work for a long time, but they also could burn out the very next day. It's a chance you take. They are far to expensive to repair that's for certain.

Congrats on your tank. I'm sure you'll enjoy it a long time.

Blueiz
01-06-2009, 8:39 AM
Pricing used tanks depends a lot on the area you live in. 500 dollars was a nice price for that, unless you are on the west coast where large tanks go really cheap..

1oooop
01-06-2009, 9:20 AM
Pricing used tanks depends a lot on the area you live in. 500 dollars was a nice price for that, unless you are on the west coast where large tanks go really cheap..

not really... here in the west coast I think the standard price for a 100G(just the tank itself) is about 125$ which is not too bad

Blueiz
01-06-2009, 10:37 AM
not really... here in the west coast I think the standard price for a 100G(just the tank itself) is about 125$ which is not too bad

Here on the east cost, you would be lucky if you got that for under 300. Check out craiglist and compare between states on the east coast and states on the west coast.

H3D
01-06-2009, 10:59 AM
I think its a great deal as well. It really irks me when people underestimate the value of used merchandise. By my estimate they got over $1,200 worth of product for $450. Looks pretty nice too.

Nolapete
01-06-2009, 11:06 AM
There's not that big a difference in price no matter where you live. You simply need to understand what a deal is and what is not. A deal is NOT someone trying to recoup what they spent getting out of the hobby. A deal IS someone just wanting to get rid of something they no longer use that is taking up space. People are always trying to get back what they put into the tank on Craigslist. I laugh at them and keep looking. With a bit of patience, you'll find great deals. This one, unfortunately, was only a so so deal.

jameshilljr
01-06-2009, 11:21 AM
With a bit of patience, you'll find great deals. This one, unfortunately, was only a so so deal.

I guess you're talking about a lot of patience... This is a good deal, because I have been looking on craigslist for about 9 months now for a 125 setup like that under 500 bucks...:rant2:

H3D
01-06-2009, 11:22 AM
There's not that big a difference in price no matter where you live. You simply need to understand what a deal is and what is not. A deal is NOT someone trying to recoup what they spent getting out of the hobby. A deal IS someone just wanting to get rid of something they no longer use that is taking up space. People are always trying to get back what they put into the tank on Craigslist. I laugh at them and keep looking. With a bit of patience, you'll find great deals. This one, unfortunately, was only a so so deal.

That is absolutely untrue! There are many factors that go into the cost of a used tank. A deal IMO is based on the value of what you got vs. what you paid. Just because you got a bunch of stuff cheap doesn't mean that it was a better deal than someone who paid more for what they got. It just means you paid less, not that you got a better deal.

Nolapete
01-06-2009, 11:51 AM
So, you're saying that $1500 worth of stuff for $100 is not a better deal than $1000 worth of stuff for $450? That makes a whole lot of sense.

H3D
01-06-2009, 12:14 PM
So, you're saying that $1500 worth of stuff for $100 is not a better deal than $1000 worth of stuff for $450? That makes a whole lot of sense.

That's not what I was saying. What I am saying is that the value of the deal is directly relevant to where you live. If someone were to go to my LFS and purchase all the stuff new that the OP got it could run them close to $4,000. The OP got them for $450. According to you, you could have purchased all the same items you got used for $150 for $1500 new.

So where I come from he got a great deal. ;)

Nolapete
01-06-2009, 12:25 PM
If your LFS charges $4000 for 2 canisters, an oak stand, 2 light strips, and a 125 gallon tank, you need a new LFS because they are charging you 4x what that stuff should sell for.

BTW, from YOUR LFS, the stuff I got for $100 would cost $7000. HAHA!

pebble
01-06-2009, 12:41 PM
things are more expensive in other regions on the retail market. his setup would cost about 1000-1500 bux if it was new in new york. not to mention a tax rate of over 8%. i would assume that is all-glass brand he got. 450 is a great price, dont listen to what others say, just enjoy your tank man. have fun

Nolapete
01-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Yah, but it's only a few hundred dollars difference throughout the country if anything not 4x as much. Case in point, the setup here in New Orleans would cost 1000-1500 new depending on the LFS. So no difference and I'd expect New York to be much higher than here.

pebble
01-06-2009, 12:57 PM
in the city, it will definitely cost more rather than other places in ny. and hey, if u would of talked like a really cheap person, that guy probably wouldnt even bother helping u moving the tank to your place at all. lol

H3D
01-06-2009, 1:37 PM
If your LFS charges $4000 for 2 canisters, an oak stand, 2 light strips, and a 125 gallon tank, you need a new LFS because they are charging you 4x what that stuff should sell for.

BTW, from YOUR LFS, the stuff I got for $100 would cost $7000. HAHA!

My LFS store is awful I agree. Many things are marked up well over 500%. Not to mention tax is 8% here.

And you right it would cost that much here for you setup. I agree you got a great deal as well ;)

Edit: For reference a 125 gallon tank was on sale last year for $250 at it lowest price, which over half off...Just for the tank.

abcdefghi
01-06-2009, 3:36 PM
My LFS store is awful I agree. Many things are marked up well over 500%. Not to mention tax is 8% here.

And you right it would cost that much here for you setup. I agree you got a great deal as well ;)

Edit: For reference a 125 gallon tank was on sale last year for $250 at it lowest price, which over half off...Just for the tank.

Tank prices are high here as well, at some point I would like a 125+ gallon tank, but its crazy the cost to set up it new, and some of the prices on Craigslist are not exactly cheap either.

Just some examples on Craigslist right now a 60G set up for $600, a 29G set up for $200, 90G bowfront $2500. These are all full set ups, tank, stand, filter, lights, average price for a 55G is $200+ There are also good deals though, a few months ago I saw a 150G tank only for $0 (wish I could have gotten that one) one ad is for 8 tanks (5 x 40G breeder and 3 50G breeder) for $40, again tank only. I got a 29G set up for $75 last year and felt it was a good deal.

I think the OP got a good deal.

Star_Rider
01-06-2009, 3:52 PM
how good the deal is, is relative.

Nalo has found some 'great' deal.. this one.. as long as you are happy with it.. is a good deal.
nice tank ;)
:thumbsup:

Kuthoht
01-06-2009, 4:11 PM
I dont live in Los Angeles or New York. In large cities you can find or simply wait for the deals where they practically give away the tank for pennies on the dollar. I live in a city of rougly 250k people. I've been looking at craigslist for probably 6 months for a tank to buy. This was the first large tank even listed in that time. I could have had any number of 55 gallon tanks very cheap.

Keep in mind this guy was 3 miles from my house. I did not want to have to drive 300 miles to go to San Antonio just to try and find a ridiculous deal with potentially shady people on craigslist.

But hey grats to you on finding a 200+ gallon tank with alot of equipment for basically free.

Mokomon
01-06-2009, 4:13 PM
YAY!!!
It looks AWESOME!! Congrats!

yourchoice
01-08-2009, 12:49 AM
Nice find.If I had the room I would pounce on that set-up.