coconut fiber instead of peat?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

marinkafuschia

AC Members
Oct 21, 2008
Olympia, WA
I just bought some coconut coir fiber to use with some terrariums I'm making and I'm wondering if I can use some in my aquarium filter instead of peat, to lower my PH a bit and soften the water?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Coco fiber does release tannins. It's up to you. I don't believe though it lowers the KH, just the pH depending on the KH.

Nora

AC Members
Feb 5, 2009
One of the advertised 'benefits' of coconut choir is the closer to neutral ph in comparison to the acidity of peat, I doubt it would hurt anything assuming it was processed for live animals, however it may not do what you are hoping for.

marinkafuschia

AC Members
Oct 21, 2008
Olympia, WA
Yeah I was basically just wondering since I already bought something for another project, figured I would kill two birds with one stone. now that Im expanding it from its brick form I'm thinking I wont put it in my aquarium without some cheese cloth around it or something because it just falls apart in water and floats everywhere
and that would be a crazy huge mess :eek:!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
One of the advertised 'benefits' of coconut choir is the closer to neutral ph in comparison to the acidity of peat, I doubt it would hurt anything assuming it was processed for live animals, however it may not do what you are hoping for.
It takes a lot of tannins to lower the pH to neutral side assuming the KH is high. Then again, pH is not something to look out for but the KH.

Nora

AC Members
Feb 5, 2009
It takes a lot of tannins to lower the pH to neutral side assuming the KH is high. Then again, pH is not something to look out for but the KH.
Beyond my scope - no experience here as to KH, I have dealt with foreign objects in coco fiber before though and after numerous emails back and forth with the folks who produce bed-a-beast and eco-earth I've come to know that the addition of unwanted extras (plastic, metal pieces, unidentifiable garbage) is a battle the processors are always fighting, I've found a lot more garbage in coco fiber as compared to peat over the years, tho it sems to be getting better - or I've just gotten a bit luckier. Always a good plan to do a once over before use regardless.

marinkafuschia

AC Members
Oct 21, 2008
Olympia, WA
OK maybe you can help me understand this a bit better lupin. my PH is 7 but I want it around 6.5 or 6.8 since I have south Asian fish. I thought they like soft water but maybe Im not really understanding what the difference between soft water and low Ph is. lol I'll admit to being a aquarium chemical noob.:perv:

marinkafuschia

AC Members
Oct 21, 2008
Olympia, WA
oh thanks Nora, yeah this is supposed to be really good fiber from a sort of local source, but may as well not risk the heavy metal contamination!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
OK maybe you can help me understand this a bit better lupin. my PH is 7 but I want it around 6.5 or 6.8 since I have south Asian fish. I thought they like soft water but maybe Im not really understanding what the difference between soft water and low Ph is. lol I'll admit to being a aquarium chemical noob.:perv:
I don't think that is an issue. You're fine without having to add peat, coco fiber, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store