PDA

View Full Version : Has enyone seen a dwarf Gourami get this fat?

CatawbaIslander
03-17-2009, 3:30 PM
:confused:
We are new to Aquaria and have 5 dwarf Gourami's in my 90 gal tank and one of them has gotten REALLY fat. Is this something to worry about?

majortank
03-17-2009, 4:02 PM
I'm not an expert or anything, but I have a dwarf gourami that has been a little chubby at times. He's a bit of a bully around the tank and will eat anything so there's no way around it. I've skipped a couple feedings to try and slim him down and that usually works. What do you feed him?

I'd wait for someone with more knowledge than me to answer your questions though. Just putting in my 2 cents.

BreezeRuehls
03-17-2009, 4:04 PM
Mine are kinda fat too, I just accept it as the norm, not like they are going on modeling shots, so I just let em eat when they are hungry (but I dont overfeed)

McLendon
03-17-2009, 4:23 PM
Hard to tell by the photo's but I would guess you have a female. My girls start to put on size this time of year

Fish-Addict
03-17-2009, 4:33 PM
Hard to tell by the photo's but I would guess you have a female. My girls start to put on size this time of year

Females are dull coloured. That is a male.

Correct?

Hooked Newbie
03-17-2009, 4:37 PM

Correct?

Correct.

Unless the scales look "pine coned", I wouldn't worry at all. How long have you had him? What's your feeding routine?

ct-death
03-17-2009, 5:24 PM
Flake foods tend to make gouramis/bettas bloated IME. I honestly think it's b/c they gulp a LOT of air. I stop feedin the tank for 4-5 days, and it goes away each time.

try feeding non-flake foods, and a fiberuous diet (incase it's constipation)

CatawbaIslander
03-17-2009, 5:59 PM
I have had him about a month. I feed them flake food in the morning and in the evening i feed them frozen brine shrimp and blood worms. I slowly feed them the shrimp and bloodworms, a few pieces at a time. This gourami has only been like this for the last 2-3 days. Thank you all for the imput it helps alot!

Hooked Newbie
03-17-2009, 6:46 PM
I have had him about a month. I feed them flake food in the morning and in the evening i feed them frozen brine shrimp and blood worms. I slowly feed them the shrimp and bloodworms, a few pieces at a time. This gourami has only been like this for the last 2-3 days. Thank you all for the imput it helps alot!

I would fast the tank for a day or two and switch to once a day feedings. Probably alternating the foods. Don't let them fool you, they always try to look hungry. ;)

jm1212
03-17-2009, 7:41 PM
skip a feeding every now and again and the fish will be fine.

katschamne
03-17-2009, 7:57 PM
I would fast the tank for a day or two and switch to once a day feedings. Probably alternating the foods. Don't let them fool you, they always try to look hungry. ;)

I agree. That's what I kept trying to tell hubby's grandma. I think that she finally got the hint when the tank was always cloudy and there would be tons of food in the gravel in one week. I also had her switch from flakes to a sinking pellets. The fish are still fat but not as bad.

I thought that those were male dwarf gouramis fish-addict. I'm glad you mention that. I know at my store they only sell male dwarfs.

NYCguppydude
03-17-2009, 8:06 PM

Correct?
No that is not Correct.
From what I could tell males and females are usually nearly identical in color. The definite way of sexing them is by the fin shape in the males. Which are pointed anal,dorsal,and caudal fins as well as longer ventrals on the males. The females usually get a bit heavier carrying a large amount of eggs in her ovum.

katschamne
03-17-2009, 8:25 PM
"This what Wikipedia and Animal Planet says:

" Besides the difference in color, the sex can be determined by the dorsal fin. The male's dorsal fin is pointed, while the female's is rounded or curved."

So both are right.

Hooked Newbie
03-17-2009, 8:31 PM
No that is not Correct.
From what I could tell males and females are usually nearly identical in color. The definite way of sexing them is by the fin shape in the males. Which are pointed anal,dorsal,and caudal fins as well as longer ventrals on the males. The females usually get a bit heavier carrying a large amount of eggs in her ovum.

"This what Wikipedia and Animal Planet says:

" Besides the difference in color, the sex can be determined by the dorsal fin. The male's dorsal fin is pointed, while the female's is rounded or curved."

So both are right.

The coloration differnce is not mistakable IME. There are other differences, but the genders are pretty dang obvious in DGs based on color alone. Unless you have the 1 out of a million wild caught individual in the hobby.

bcarm
03-17-2009, 8:49 PM
I posted this in another thread, male or female? The fins definitely seem more rounded to me, but it is definitely blue and not grey.

Sorry for the hijack.

Hooked Newbie
03-17-2009, 9:04 PM
I posted this in another thread, male or female? The fins definitely seem more rounded to me, but it is definitely blue and not grey.

Sorry for the hijack.

Juvenile male.

Cerianthus
03-17-2009, 9:34 PM
If memory serves, All DG, be it Powder Blue, Cobalt Blue or Red Flame, are all Colisa lalia. Just altered thru selective breeding. If not, genetically altered. Its been so long, I dont remember which. Such color morphs would not be found in their natural habitat w/ such colors. Thus even female can show such colors, IMO. .

Hooked Newbie
03-17-2009, 9:53 PM
If memory serves, All DG, be it Powder Blue, Cobalt Blue or Red Flame, are all Colisa lalia. Just altered thru selective breeding. If not, genetically altered. Its been so long, I dont remember which. Such color morphs would not be found in their natural habitat w/ such colors. Thus even female can show such colors, IMO. .

No, the gender (and therefore the color) is manipualted with hormones.

IME, no.

Cerianthus
03-17-2009, 10:00 PM
No, the gender (and therefore the color) is manipualted with hormones.

IME, no.

Going back some 20+ yrs when it first appeared in hobby, i believe these are not naturally occuring colors. I dont think I have any old mag w/ such articles anymore, but it is true that even female can have such colors.
It is true that in naturally occuring specimens, colors/patterns will show definite differences.

CatawbaIslander
03-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Well we have put the Gourami into the hospital tank. have done some research and not sure what to think anymore. He/She (dont really know) is really plump. His/Her Scales are looking kinda pineconed. Kinda hanging out at the bottom now. Well see how it goes. Not sure what to do. Feeling kinda helpless!

bcarm
03-18-2009, 1:34 PM
Plump and pineconed? Columnaris?

Fish-Addict
03-18-2009, 1:36 PM
No that is not Correct.

No. You told me this in my breeding thread, and I said the same. Males are colourful, females are dull. Maybe not with other gouramis, but with DGs it is.

Maybe not in the wild, but in the hobby, when you are in shops buying them, or if you breed them, my rule applies

severum mama
03-18-2009, 6:02 PM
Well we have put the Gourami into the hospital tank. have done some research and not sure what to think anymore. He/She (dont really know) is really plump. His/Her Scales are looking kinda pineconed. Kinda hanging out at the bottom now. Well see how it goes. Not sure what to do. Feeling kinda helpless!

Sorry to hear about your fish. Don't beat yourself up over it though. Dwarf Gourami livestock is NOT known for being hardy. They are mass-bred and, as Hooked Newbie mentioned, often manipulated with hormones. The result is that much of the stock that you see at your LFS is weak and vulnerable to disease. This has certainly been my experience from working for a (reputable) LFS. ;)

CatawbaIslander
03-18-2009, 6:45 PM
Thanks for the support. He did in fact die. Not getting anymore Gourami's. Should I do anything about my other fish in my main tank?? is everyone gonna find the same fate?
HELP!!

Hooked Newbie
03-18-2009, 7:00 PM
Thanks for the support. He did in fact die. Not getting anymore Gourami's. Should I do anything about my other fish in my main tank?? is everyone gonna find the same fate?
HELP!!

Sorry for the loss. :(

Sadly, Dwarf Gourami stock has been very weak for the last couple years. If the other fish look healthy, I wouldn't do anything to treat them. That would probably cause more harm than good IMO.

katschamne
03-18-2009, 9:53 PM
Sorry to hear about your fish. Don't beat yourself up over it though. Dwarf Gourami livestock is NOT known for being hardy. They are mass-bred and, as Hooked Newbie mentioned, often manipulated with hormones. The result is that much of the stock that you see at your LFS is weak and vulnerable to disease. This has certainly been my experience from working for a (reputable) LFS. ;)

:iagree: That is my experience as well. I'm sorry for your lose as well. Just keep an eye on the other ones to make sure that they don't have it as well.