Has enyone seen a dwarf Gourami get this fat?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CatawbaIslander

AC Members
Mar 15, 2009
Ohio
:confused:
We are new to Aquaria and have 5 dwarf Gourami's in my 90 gal tank and one of them has gotten REALLY fat. Is this something to worry about?

100_0793.JPG 100_0794.JPG

majortank

Do you like fishsticks?
Jul 16, 2008
DC
I'm not an expert or anything, but I have a dwarf gourami that has been a little chubby at times. He's a bit of a bully around the tank and will eat anything so there's no way around it. I've skipped a couple feedings to try and slim him down and that usually works. What do you feed him?

I'd wait for someone with more knowledge than me to answer your questions though. Just putting in my 2 cents.

BreezeRuehls

I own you
Mar 8, 2009
Virginia Beach
Mine are kinda fat too, I just accept it as the norm, not like they are going on modeling shots, so I just let em eat when they are hungry (but I dont overfeed)

McLendon

AC Members
Oct 13, 2006
Hard to tell by the photo's but I would guess you have a female. My girls start to put on size this time of year

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Females are dull coloured. That is a male.

Correct?
Correct.

Unless the scales look "pine coned", I wouldn't worry at all. How long have you had him? What's your feeding routine?

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Flake foods tend to make gouramis/bettas bloated IME. I honestly think it's b/c they gulp a LOT of air. I stop feedin the tank for 4-5 days, and it goes away each time.

try feeding non-flake foods, and a fiberuous diet (incase it's constipation)

CatawbaIslander

AC Members
Mar 15, 2009
Ohio
I have had him about a month. I feed them flake food in the morning and in the evening i feed them frozen brine shrimp and blood worms. I slowly feed them the shrimp and bloodworms, a few pieces at a time. This gourami has only been like this for the last 2-3 days. Thank you all for the imput it helps alot!

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
I have had him about a month. I feed them flake food in the morning and in the evening i feed them frozen brine shrimp and blood worms. I slowly feed them the shrimp and bloodworms, a few pieces at a time. This gourami has only been like this for the last 2-3 days. Thank you all for the imput it helps alot!
I would fast the tank for a day or two and switch to once a day feedings. Probably alternating the foods. Don't let them fool you, they always try to look hungry. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store