PDA

View Full Version : how can I raise the hardness of my water?

chazsgirl
04-21-2009, 5:29 PM
how can I raise the hardness of my water? i noticed it to be soft 75ppm is there a way to make it just alittle bit harder without hurting anyone in the water?

Virtuoso2K12
04-21-2009, 5:34 PM
Maybe adding some rocks and shells?Not sure how effective shells are.

msjinkzd
04-21-2009, 5:36 PM
Crushed coral in a media bag is the easiest way or if you want more control, baking soda added at each water change.

BoCoMo
04-21-2009, 5:39 PM
Crushed coral in a media bag is the easiest way or if you want more control, baking soda added at each water change.

I'd listen to her. She is a Global Moderator now! :bowing:

msjinkzd
04-21-2009, 5:39 PM
:lol:

chazsgirl
04-21-2009, 5:46 PM
lol..well congrats I hadn't noticed!:bowing::bowing:(it is def. well deserved)

ok I know the baking soda for the ph, my ph says it is 7.8 so if I add the baking soda then it will raise the ph is that the same as hardening the water. I see the acidic and alkiline but my strip test for the harness of the water says soft and ph is 7.8 (liquid says 7.8 ph, but have no liquid gh test kit just a strip) have I confused anyone yet!
oh also can I just add a few plaster of paris blocks in, I have a few I made already, will that raise anything??

bushwhacker
04-21-2009, 6:01 PM
chazgirl bakingsoda will raise your ph and your kh but not your gh if i understand it right and you will have to add it with every water change adding the crushed coral will raise the gh too and keep your ph from swinging

and BTW congrats rachel well deserverd

msjinkzd
04-21-2009, 6:07 PM
The snails need carbonate hardness (kH). It would be very unusual for you to have soft water with a pH of 7.8. I would recommend picking up a liquid gh/kh test kit, they are only like $5 from kensfish or from a store and give much more accurate results as well as a good explanation of what it means.

chazsgirl
04-21-2009, 6:21 PM
ok anyone know where I can get crushed coral??

bushwhacker
04-21-2009, 6:28 PM
almost any LFS

msjinkzd
04-21-2009, 6:32 PM
any store that deals in saltwater. In reality, you will need a handful and they sell by the bag :( The plaster blocks are fine as well. You can even make your own (DAPS brand plaster of paris from home depot). Just place them out of the flow so they dissolve slower.

chazsgirl
04-21-2009, 7:07 PM
any store that deals in saltwater. In reality, you will need a handful and they sell by the bag :( The plaster blocks are fine as well. You can even make your own (DAPS brand plaster of paris from home depot). Just place them out of the flow so they dissolve slower.

i have a tub I got from michaels, will try that and will look around for crushed coral, maybe someone on ebay has a small bag or so!

Death Pony
04-21-2009, 10:06 PM
I added a chunk of dead coral to my tank that adds to the water hardness. It looks cool and adds to where BB can grow too!

KarlTh
04-22-2009, 5:22 AM
Why do you want to raise it? Are we talking GH or KH here? 75ppm GH is ideal for 90% of aquarium fish.

7itanium
04-22-2009, 5:26 AM
rocks, shells, crushed coral will work

I have also found that small chunks of concrete work VERY well

DrNo
04-22-2009, 2:45 PM
... bakingsoda will raise your ph and your kh but not your gh if i understand it right and you will have to add it with every water change adding the crushed coral will raise the gh too and keep your ph from swinging....

Right on. First, before doing anything further, you need to properly measure using a liquid test kit.

If you must increase GH, go with the crushed coral or switch to an aragonite substrate (often used in African cichlid tanks). Baking soda will not increase you GH but will send your pH up. If you want fine tuned control, use epsom salt instead with every water change. You will need to experiment to find the right amount (measuring each possibility with the liquid kit). This is a relatively advanced aquarium technique that requires great care with each water change. I suggest you elect the crushed coral (in filter), should you choose to proceed. Shells, concrete, holey rock... all will increase GH to varying degrees.

coach_z
04-22-2009, 2:55 PM
put your tank in the freezer and eventually your water will become much harder

DrNo
04-22-2009, 3:17 PM
put your tank in the freezer and eventually your water will become much harder

...funny.

Vicious_Fish
04-22-2009, 5:43 PM
Easiest thing to do is to go find a nice clean piece of Limestone. You're from PA and we've got loads of it here so it's not hard to find.