PDA

View Full Version : Noobish but urgent! 13w CFL bulb gives 60w of light?!

biggie357
05-28-2009, 11:42 PM
I was just having a conversation with my mother about aquarium lights and she mentioned to me that these 13w 5000k daylight screw-in CFL bulbs ACTUALLY give 60w of light EACH.

I have TWO of these on my planted 10g. do i have 12WPG?!!? I've recently had a small outbreak of cladophora and staghorn algae... is this whats causing it? Does anyone know much about the CFL bulbs for growing aquarium plants?

Also, If i were to transfer my plants into my 40g, would i only need these 2 cfl bulbs to grow my plants? I have red cabomba, java moss, ludwigia, wisteria, moneywort, and cardamine, all of which are exploding in my 10g (not enough room for them anymore!)

biggdadyapisto
05-28-2009, 11:45 PM
as far as i understand the 13w is what you go by not sure really.

biggie357
05-28-2009, 11:47 PM
as far as i understand the 13w is what you go by not sure really.

the package reads 2 numbers. 13w for power consumption, but its equivilent to 60w of regular incandescent lighting.

dixienut
05-28-2009, 11:48 PM
the 13 is it,.. plus smaller tanks have a whacky ratio with wpg anyway,.. but i have the same over my 10g also,.. the best tank i have for plants,..lol

calivivarium1
05-29-2009, 12:17 AM
yes, for plant growing purposes you have 26w over your tank. As for claudo algae, I had an outbreak of that crap in my 10gal(with 27w of PC lighting) before I added CO2. What kinds of plants do you have? I would consider fast growing plants and maybe some floaters to make use of that light. The algae could be from a lack of competition, too little nutrients in the water column, etc.

biggie357
05-29-2009, 7:33 AM
yes, for plant growing purposes you have 26w over your tank. As for claudo algae, I had an outbreak of that crap in my 10gal(with 27w of PC lighting) before I added CO2. What kinds of plants do you have? I would consider fast growing plants and maybe some floaters to make use of that light. The algae could be from a lack of competition, too little nutrients in the water column, etc.

the tank is HEAVILY planted, it requires a trimming every few days. DIY c02 and 1/4 cap of excel per day. my cardamine grows an inch per day at least, but i didnt think of the floating plants idea... theres water lettuce at my LFS maybe ill go pick some up.

FSM
05-29-2009, 7:41 AM
incandescent bulbs are hideously inefficient. Try unscrewing one just after it has been on for a few hours.

coach_z
05-29-2009, 7:59 AM
those watt comparisons on the CFLs are confusing because they are trying to help consumers understand what this new technology is. They are saying that "this 13W CFL looks as bright as a 60W incandescent" people have been trained for many years that a 40W bulb looks like this, 60W is brighter and 100W will burn out your retnas, consumers need to relearn this and acknowledge that 13W is the new 60.

biggie357
05-29-2009, 11:43 AM
thanks guys :) this has been burning a hole in my brain all day at work thinking ive got this outrageous amount of light in a tiny tank. Are CFL bulbs becoming more popular in the aquarium trade? i dont think I've ever seen a CFL bulb in any LFs ive been to. I have seen the long tube ones but no twisties.

DoctaQ
05-29-2009, 11:53 AM
cfls probably arent as popular in pet stores because there isnt much money to be made on them. the hardware store sells them for a couple dollars what is the pet store gonna charge?

youre on the verge of a high light tank, i would suggest you dose other ferts or get a nice algae eating crew

Slappy*McFish
05-29-2009, 1:41 PM
Keep in mind that 60W of Incandescent is not the same as 60W of Fluorescent light. The 'equivalency' aspect of the CFL doesn't apply to aquariums. The WPG rule was based on standard Fluorescent lighting. Your best bet would be to compare the lumen output of the CFL bulbs with that of a standard Fluorescent bulb of the same wattage.

Zebulon
05-29-2009, 3:26 PM
Wattage = power consumption. Doesn't say a thing about output.
Lumens = light output. Neo candlepower if you will.
Together they can judge luminous efficacy.

Within a technology, wattage generally scales with lumens, but base output on the seperate rating. Flourescents may indeed be a lot more efficient but we're talking 10% efficient for incandescents vs 20% or so for flourescents. A good ballast might get you another 10% but there's no shortage of heat generation going on at both the ballast and the bulb.

Now I'm getting off topic again and it's only been three sentences.

biggie357
05-29-2009, 4:23 PM
cfls probably arent as popular in pet stores because there isnt much money to be made on them. the hardware store sells them for a couple dollars what is the pet store gonna charge?

youre on the verge of a high light tank, i would suggest you dose other ferts or get a nice algae eating crew
I have about 35 bladder snails and 3 flying foxes. They have since eliminated my hair and thread algae, and i use a scraper for the algae on the glass. I also have staghorn algae starting on my wisteria :(

Question!: isnt the cladophora algae the same as like a marimo ball? could i pick it all off my plants and ball it up and let it grow?

DoctaQ
05-29-2009, 4:50 PM
i doubt any algae you have in your tank happens to be morimo balls unless you put them there, and also they dont seem to attach to anything as far as i know?

three flying foxes?
shrimp might be a better idea or maybe briggs or something

Star_Rider
05-29-2009, 5:32 PM
Wattage = power consumption. Doesn't say a thing about output.
Lumens = light output. Neo candlepower if you will.
Together they can judge luminous efficacy.

Within a technology, wattage generally scales with lumens, but base output on the seperate rating. Flourescents may indeed be a lot more efficient but we're talking 10% efficient for incandescents vs 20% or so for flourescents. A good ballast might get you another 10% but there's no shortage of heat generation going on at both the ballast and the bulb.

Now I'm getting off topic again and it's only been three sentences.

add to this reflectors to get even more confusing.

generally the CFL are better than incandescent but they also suffer loss of light to the tank via restrike...

here we go ...sort of off topic ;)

kyryah
05-29-2009, 5:51 PM
You need some nerites, my friend, perhaps one per gallon. Bladder snails are not a good algae control at all. They would rather eat detrius than algae.

I also highly doubt that you have Cladophora, especially Cladophora aegagropila. However marimo CAN be flattened and attached to rocks and wood. But without introduction it is not going to appear. I propagate marimo and it does not grow on any of the other substances in the tank, plants, walls, or substrate.

Do you have photos?

Kristina

fl4ian
05-29-2009, 9:22 PM
/flagellating the lifeless equine

the 13w is what you want, not the it says is the incandescent equivalent...

thesixis
05-29-2009, 9:39 PM
I made a light fixture for my 29 with 5 18w cfl. @3 WPG it rocks.

biggie357
06-01-2009, 7:47 AM
You need some nerites, my friend, perhaps one per gallon. Bladder snails are not a good algae control at all. They would rather eat detrius than algae.

I also highly doubt that you have Cladophora, especially Cladophora aegagropila. However marimo CAN be flattened and attached to rocks and wood. But without introduction it is not going to appear. I propagate marimo and it does not grow on any of the other substances in the tank, plants, walls, or substrate.

Do you have photos?

Kristina

I didnt think i did, i was just asking because i saw a few pictures of this algae i have and it seems to float and clump together on its own, kind of like a marimo ball. only my java moss attaches to anything.

Bushtech
06-01-2009, 10:29 AM
The light output of a 13w twisty is closer to a 53w incandecent. 15w twisty is more inline. Light hoods made for incandescents are ment for the the long expensive tubuler bulbs to keep with the low profile. A 13w is about as big a CFL that there is clearance for unless you do some major mods. I had to modify my light hood to accomidate the 2 X 13w CFLs and there was no room left to spare.

customdrum
06-01-2009, 6:36 PM
I made a light fixture for my 29 with 5 18w cfl. @3 WPG it rocks.

that comes to 90 watts but its not really, the way the spiral bulbs are shaped and with a reflector you have more around 70 watts. i have a 29g with spiral bulbs in it to.
4 -26 watt actual, 100 watt replacements
2- 15 watt actual, 60 watt replacements

thats 134 watts actual and 520 watt replacement
its about 2.7 watts per gallon not 4.4 like people think.

i have tried every wattage in 5,10,29 and 55g tanks
they must be 6500k daylight bulbs to be worth using and they only last about 6-8 months before they loose alot of spectrum, i replace mine every 7-8 months, you can tell because some of the plants start to loose there red colors

i have a reflector to but the bulb shape takes away from alot of the light spectrum. they are the ge 6500k daylight bulbs.
there has been talks about the spiral bulbs wattage never being actual wattage. the best figure is like this

15 watts is more like 10 watt
26 watts is more like 20 watt

thesixis
06-01-2009, 8:31 PM
You can call them whatever wattage you like, the package says 18w daylight.
The plants are growing so fast I'm selling them to the LFS.