Need help in starting up Fluval 204 unit

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
I inherited this unit, has media & water filled up. Plug it in & it sounds like a loud whining sound but no filter action. has a start knob but it's too easy to turn so not sure if this is broken. heard something about priming it up? what does that mean? or do I just have a broken unit? thx all

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
They don't have a start button. That is the primer I think. I have one. I fill it with aquarium water first, hook it up, plug it in, and pull the plunger up and down til the suction starts. Make sure you have the hoses on the right side though. LOL I didn't and it just doesn't work. :)

Here ya go.
http://www.hagen.com/pdf/aquatic/Fluval04new.pdf

Last edited:

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
when I did initially try it trial n error, nothing happened so I thought that was wrong. so I will try the plunger again. how many times do you think it takes to "pump" the plunger? 1st time I did it about 10x's. & what is the lever that is below the plunger that snaps down flat into the curved top?

I thought maybe I put it on backwards but I deduced that the intake tube should go into the sponge side cavity & the out take tube should be over the media containers, right?

will try it again shortly. thx again

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
The lever that snaps down flat is the hookup for thetubes. Double check the you have the in in the in, and the out in the out.

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
so, I tried again pumping & pumping the middle lever, now my finger biceps are so buff! so are you saying if I submerge the out flow nozzle under water that will cause a vacuum, right? makes sense.

I also looked at the link which gave very specific instructions but...

failed to direct me to the start key/knob.

but now let me ask about the "start" knob that happens to be connected to the rubber suction seal on the intake side. when I looked under the unit's bulk head - I pushed up the suction cup which pushes up the start knob. so it dawns on me that this is the part looks like the vacuum/suction action piece.

I surmise that maybe this should be the pump primer? & I've been exercising my fingers for naught?! & maybe the lever I've been thinking was the primer is really the flow adjuster??!!

will try again in an hr. I wish I may I wish I might....

p.s. thks for all your feedback!

keithnj

AC Members
Jul 8, 2008
new jersey
in your first post you said it makes a"loud whining noise" it could just be you need a new impeller. since it is a used filter it wont hurt for you to get a new one - my lfs sells them for about 9 dollars.

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
impeller?

in your first post you said it makes a"loud whining noise" it could just be you need a new impeller. since it is a used filter it wont hurt for you to get a new one - my lfs sells them for about 9 dollars.
since I didn't have any manual or reference (till jackiomy gave me hagen link) I made the mistake of plugging it in w/o water in the intake tube siphoning action. so it was pumping dry - which the manual warns against doing. My bad.

so hope I don't need to replace since I saw it in action from the seller when I bought this great deal 72gal bowfront with it (but I think it is really only 60gal since I filled it up myself gallon by gallon, but that's another thread)

so will let you know if success or not in a short while.

shwank005

Mmmbeer
Feb 20, 2009
Morgan Hill, CA
I couldn't start my 404 for a while, what worked for me was putting the output ABOVE the water line, then pumping the primer up and down vigourously until it started.

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
Fluval 204 is primed pumped & flowing!

I couldn't start my 404 for a while, what worked for me was putting the output ABOVE the water line, then pumping the primer up and down vigourously until it started.
I am a dunce! I was doing it all wrong. I realize now the start key/button is the primer/pumper! I also made sure the outtake tube was above tank water line level & as soon as I pumped it 4-5 times it started flowing! So easy a 5yr could have done it! :thm:
thks all!

p.s. & the other main lever does control water flow. but on full power I don't see the intake tube strainer taking in much debris - so even tho water can be flowing out strong & fast, the intake side doesn't seem strong enough to suck in poop that is so close to the strainer yet so far! hmmm?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store