PDA

View Full Version : Silicone curing time?

Jspigs
10-10-2009, 3:18 PM
So last night I used some silicone to seal a DIY filter (and yes the silicone is fish safe). I applied the silicone at about 6:30 pm and I noticed that the silicone tube said to let the silicone cure for 48 hours. The instructions were for sealing a fish tank.

Do I have to wait until 6:30 pm tomorrow night to put the DIY filter into the tank?

Or can I just wait until tomorrow afternoon (about 1-3 pm) and then put the DIY filter into the fish tank?

Please comment quickly.

TechAquaria
10-10-2009, 3:32 PM
If the sealant carries no weight, or stress (or, an amount I would find worthy of an "early cure", perhaps a 24 hr cure is sufficient (the amount of acetic acid which would be leached into the tank, by the joints, after 24 hours, would be "insignificant", in my humble opinion, you logic it out as you see fit.))

If I re-caulked a whole tank, 48 hours seems within reason, and one which would give me peace of mind ...

Regards,
TA

Jspigs
10-10-2009, 3:50 PM
The silicone is probably not holding much weight at all (if any). It is only being used as a sealant.

You mentioned acetic acid leaching out, would this harm my fish?

P.S. The sealant is 100% silicone.

krytan
10-10-2009, 5:20 PM
I always wait seven days before adding water.

Jspigs
10-10-2009, 6:06 PM
I definitely am not going to wait 5 days longer than the instructions say. But I still don't know what acetic acid is and whether or not it will harm my fish.

Rbishop
10-10-2009, 6:10 PM
Why the rush...if you can smell the fumes from curing..it is too early. Let the folks who do not use it decide what is safe for your fish?

The thickness of the application comes into play.

When you can't smell the cure..good...then wait another week.

Many tank manufactireers specify 3 months before filling with water on new tanks.

Jspigs
10-10-2009, 6:23 PM
I was not using it to seal a tank. I was using it to seal a DIY filter. The rush is because tomorrow is the day I am removing the medicine from my Betta's hospital tank.

EDIT: I just checked and I don't smell anything coming from the silicone.

EDIT#2: What is acetic acid and will it harm my fish?

Rbishop
10-10-2009, 6:40 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetic_acid

Jspigs
10-10-2009, 8:21 PM
What I would like to know is this: would it be safe to put my 100% silicone sealed DIY filter into my hospital tank tomorrow?

The silicone is made by all-glass aquariums.

Rbishop
10-10-2009, 9:00 PM
IMO....I would not....but it is your tank and fish....

Jspigs
10-10-2009, 9:11 PM
I am just wondering why do you all think the instructions are wrong?

RodInCALIFORNIA
10-10-2009, 9:22 PM
i always wait 4 days there is no need to rush just let it sit and cure.

TechAquaria
10-10-2009, 11:36 PM
I definitely am not going to wait 5 days longer than the instructions say. But I still don't know what acetic acid is and whether or not it will harm my fish.

Yeah, 5 days is way overkill, 2 is sufficient, between 2 and 5, you would gain you virtually NOTHING!

When silicone cures, you smell the "vinegar smell", acetic acid, it is far below enough to influence PH after 24 hours. I just said 48 hours to error on the safe side, 24 hours is enough.

However, you may choose to "go that route"; good luck!

Regards,
TA

Jspigs
10-11-2009, 11:08 AM
I re-read the instructions and it says the silicone fully cures in five minutes and that the 48 hour wait it to insure a leak proof seal.

Any thoughts?

TechAquaria
10-11-2009, 11:14 AM
I re-read the instructions and it says the silicone fully cures in five minutes and that the 48 hour wait it to insure a leak proof seal.

Any thoughts?

Better safe than sorry? I am just always in need of using it sooner, or just am impatient!

Regards,
TA

Jspigs
10-11-2009, 11:18 AM
I have decided to put the filter in at around 2-3 pm.

glenngreen
10-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Acetic acid is vinegar. It is safe to use vinegar to clean aquarium stuff and put right back into the water. A little bit of acetic acid is no danger to the fish. If you cannot smell the sealant, it is safe to put into the water.

Jspigs
10-11-2009, 1:06 PM
I can still smell a tiny bit of vinegar odor coming from inside of the bottle.

It is just the tiniest bit of smell coming from deep inside of the bottle.

The smell is probably coming from a seal buried deep under layers of filter media so it might tank a looong time for the smell to completely dissipate.

Is this safe or do I need to wait until the smell is gone completely?

EDIT: since the odor is so faint I am going to wait until 2:30 and then put the filter into the tank.

Jspigs
10-11-2009, 1:33 PM
Okay it is time to put the filter in. If this will kill my fish PLEASE TELL ME NOW.

EDIT: I am putting in the filter now.

blue2fyre
10-11-2009, 2:59 PM
I had a bunch of plastic plants that I siliconed to some rocks. I waited 48 hours without any problems. One of them came off so I resealed and I waited 24 hours since the bottle didn't tell me different. I had no problems with my fish at all. I will note that this was aquarium silicone, and my tank is a 55 gallon.

kyryah
10-11-2009, 3:15 PM
You were already advised to wait longer. I agree that extra curing time is important to make sure that all the fumes are gone. I don't take risks with my fish.

In the end, it is your tank and your fish, so do what you want, since you don't want to take the advice to wait longer.

Kristina

Jspigs
10-11-2009, 3:44 PM
You were already advised to wait longer. I agree that extra curing time is important to make sure that all the fumes are gone. I don't take risks with my fish.

In the end, it is your tank and your fish, so do what you want, since you don't want to take the advice to wait longer.

Kristina

The reason I put the filter in without waiting longer is because I was getting conflicting instructions from people on here so I decided to listen to the instructions and hope for the best.

By the way my fish is doing fine.

RodInCALIFORNIA
10-11-2009, 5:15 PM
if you didnt want to wait, why bother posting? when most said to wait a few days even tho you looked for every excuse to ignore others advice and experience.

TechAquaria
10-11-2009, 5:31 PM
The reason I put the filter in without waiting longer is because I was getting conflicting instructions from people on here so I decided to listen to the instructions and hope for the best.

By the way my fish is doing fine.

To give you some "context" to view/evaluate my views in, you are speaking so someone here who regularly injects 5ml of 5% acetic acid into 10g of water to lower PH and provide carbon to plants (and, of course, more if needed.)

I have no way of measuring it, but after 24 hours, and rinsing, it would be hard for me to logic out how silicone joints could supply more acetic acid than that.

Regards,
TA

fishorama
10-11-2009, 5:34 PM
Mine still had the vinegar smell after 48 hours so I waited a couple more days.No big deal & I won't have to reseal due to impatience. Up to you...

Jspigs
10-11-2009, 5:38 PM
I took the DIY filter out a little while ago.

I have resorted to using an old filter with extra carbon.