Largest Cat You've Kept / Seen in captivity

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cubano

Scarface of Aquaria
Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
What's the largest cat you've ever kept or seen in captivity.

Largest I've kept was a 12" Common Pleco - Largest I've seen was a 30" Red Tail cat at a local LFS, They actually fed the thing frozen mice, which I witnessed a few times.

cubano

Scarface of Aquaria
Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Holy Fish Sh*T!! where was that thing? a public aquarium?

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
my aunts house in thailand had mekong catfish. this was when i was like 5 (15-16 years ago) but then their house was built over a pond, coolest thing ever dont remember how big they were but they looked like they could have eaten me.

mrbigisbudgood

AC Members
Jun 17, 2003
Illinois
Visit site
Depends on how you define captivity.

About 7 years ago, I caught a few channel cat from the Spoon River in Illinios and stocked them into my grandfathers pond.

My uncle caught one of them or their offspring last year at around 3 feet long.

bennylax3

Who wants to go to Fire Lake?
Jan 3, 2004
Michigan
Originally posted by blitzen25bm
my aunts house in thailand had mekong catfish. this was when i was like 5 (15-16 years ago) but then their house was built over a pond, coolest thing ever dont remember how big they were but they looked like they could have eaten me.

I read in an aquairum book that a story about a wildlife photgrapher witnessing a small child beening sucked under and swallowd by a gaint catfish. the local villgers caught the fish quickly and cut the child out. the story says the child survied. cant remeber if it was south america or asia

Dakota

Registered Member
Jan 11, 2004
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
I used to have 2 x Salmon Catfish, both about 12" long in a 6 ft tank. I only had them for about 4 weeks because at first I thought they would look great in the tank, but they just made a total mess of the place, I couldn't put anything else in there, no plants nothing because they just destroyed everything...

Although they were amazing to watch, beautiful fish, and the only thing I found to be able to feed them properly was to go and buy smaller fish to feed them to them... this was so expensive in the end!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store