Tiger barb

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DancingYaks

AC Members
Dec 31, 2009
Hi all,
For christmas, I recieved a 30 gallon aquarium. I stocked it with 5 tiger barbs, a live plant and a fake one. ( I only got five tiger barbs because the guy at the pet store said that if I got too many fish before my tank has cycled, I would be overwhelmed by faeces.) One of the tiger barbs had ich, so I began treatment for ich (raising the tempurature to 80-82 F, adding the proper amount of aquarium salt.) The next morning the one with ich died, along with another one. So I did a 30% water change with my aquarium vacuum. Now I have 3 left, and they all hide in the corner or in the plants. occasionally they come out slowly, then all dart back in a school. They also hang out about one inch above the bottom, unless their in the plant. Is this normal?

Any help will be awesome.

DancingYaks

AC Members
Dec 31, 2009
I have read up on tank cycling. The question was about the tiger barbs.

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
It may take a while for them to get use to the tank. When you did the water change, did you add more salt? (table salt works just fine btw).

Do you have a good liquid test kit? What are the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings on the tank? On your tap replacement water?

Michwol42795

CanTANKerous
Dec 28, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
To me it sounds like you stocked the tank too fast. 5 fish in one day for an uncycled aquarium just doesn't sound good to me.

DancingYaks

AC Members
Dec 31, 2009
It may take a while for them to get use to the tank. When you did the water change, did you add more salt? (table salt works just fine btw).

Do you have a good liquid test kit? What are the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings on the tank? On your tap replacement water?
I have added salt, but I only have 2 test kits. One for pH and another for nitrates.

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
Barbs like to be in schools so they're hiding b/c you only have 3 I bet. If your tank was cycled I would suggest adding more, but since you're doing a fish-in cycle (and dealing with ich), I would recommend:

+ Get a liquid test kit as Rbishop suggested so you can monitor ammonia / nitrite / nitrate
+ Add more plants so your barbs won't feel so "exposed"
+ Continue treating for ich with heat and salt (I think the suggested plan is something like treat for 10 days after visible signs disappear)

Once you've got things stabilized you can then build up your school.

Good luck!

DancingYaks

AC Members
Dec 31, 2009
Hey everybody, two more died, so now there is only one left. It appears to have red spots by its gills.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store