PDA

View Full Version : Name that one fish that you totally regret getting...

Dangerdoll
02-25-2010, 8:57 PM
for me, it will be 2.... a couple years ago, on a total impulse, I picked up 2 of some sort of Synodontis.... they have maxed out to 6"-8", pretty much hide all day, but when they come out, they are completely destructive.... destroying anything and everything in their path. One is a dark shade of grey with black spots, and the other, white with black spots. They each occupy their own side of the tank... I want to get rid of them, but each time it comes to me giving them away, I can't bring myself to doing it. I am not sure which type of Syno they are because I do remember puchasing them thinking they were of the smaller types of Synos... I will browse PC and figure out what they are and post sometime later.

So what's your story, what do you have?

DarrylR
02-25-2010, 9:00 PM
Has to be yoyo loaches, they were fine for about a month until I noticed my golden dojo loaches has red splotches. And the yoyos were tailing my dojos ripping up their skin :/.

msjinkzd
02-25-2010, 9:01 PM
hmmm, this is a tough one!! I am going to have to ponder this to come up wiht a good answer

BioHazard
02-25-2010, 9:04 PM
Peacock Gudgeons. I have bought, and lost, 8 of them. Don't even want to think how much I've spent.
My Xiphophorus clemenciae are going to follow if I cannot find a female replacement.

duke33
02-25-2010, 9:06 PM
A TSN. Nothing was safe in that tank. That Guy had an appetite.

fishcatch22
02-25-2010, 9:12 PM
Neons with NTD :/

austinpetemo
02-25-2010, 10:32 PM
hmm. im thinking the gold gourami and platies i just bought. they dont have enough personality.

jpappy789
02-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Dwarf gourami: died a couple weeks later for no reason

Swordtails: male harassed the two females to death then went psycho

petluvr
02-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Probably my clown loach. I love the little guy but I bought him several years ago before I knew better.

feemia
02-25-2010, 10:41 PM
Every male gourami that I've had - a blue, a pearl, and a dwarf. All of them have been bullies.

froglover007
02-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Dont have one because I look up all my fish beforehand. Almost bought painted fish as a newbie but the day I was going to buy them I read in a book that they were injected with dye so I didnt get them. That is about all.

texasguy
02-25-2010, 11:04 PM
GBR: Bought three, one was sucked up filter intake because I forgot to put on the cover, other two died of ammonia poisoning because my test kit read zero when it was actually off the chart...

SecretAsianFish
02-25-2010, 11:24 PM
I agree with feemia but I have to add:
Goldfish
Jack Dempseys
Green Terror

CaliLifeStyle
02-25-2010, 11:25 PM
My common pleco. I've had him for a few years now not realizing how big and destructive with plants they can be. I thought (at the time) you needed them as algae eaters. He's been pretty good lately, but He's getting bigger and bigger. I wanted to get rid of him to, but can't seem to since he's been in the tank the longest. Him and the blue gourami.

Jakezori
02-25-2010, 11:26 PM
A molly... Poop machine, ate a guppy, and wasn't pretty at all... I will always hate mollies.

Jakezori
02-25-2010, 11:28 PM
I agree with feemia but I have to add:
Goldfish
Jack Dempseys
Green Terror

WHY DO YOU REGRET GETTING A GREEN TERROR?!?!

sushiray
02-26-2010, 12:25 AM
a pacu in a 20g tank & a baby whale as tank mate to a red tiger oscar

cockroach
02-26-2010, 12:28 AM
Mine would probably be an iridescent shark and the silver dollars I had.

sorberj
02-26-2010, 12:37 AM
An australian rainbow that went feral and managed to massacre 10 other fish before I figured out the culprit.

2brown347
02-26-2010, 1:14 AM
CAE, it was free... until I had to replace plants and fish.

THE V
02-26-2010, 1:23 AM
Common pleco as well. Got him almost 7 years ago as a cleanup crew in the goldfish tank. He shreds anything plant that the goldfish leaves alone. I'm stuck with him for a very long time as my oldest son adores him.

He's about 15 inches long now and has gained about an inch a year for the past 3 years. Given the miserable thing can live to be 20-30 years old and get over 24" long, I'm stuck with this monster a very long time until he dies.

excuzzzeme
02-26-2010, 1:56 AM
Pink Convicts. Never realized that they are considered extremely aggressive. I knew they were aggressive, just not to the umpth degree! Killed everything in the tank and each other!

Chrisk-K
02-26-2010, 2:23 AM
Bloodfin tetras. Constantly chasing and nipping one another. In fact, I'm done with all kinds of tetras.

Stargazer53
02-26-2010, 5:59 AM
My Siamese Algae Eater. I bought him/her because I had a hair algae outbreak from plants purchased from an auction -- he/she was zipping through the show tank at the LFS; cleaning the driftwood, substrate, and plastic plants. I bought him/her and let him/her loose in his/her new home -- 6 months later, he/she has not even touched the algae. The stubborn creature refuses to eat anything but flakes, pellets, and live food and has gotten to be quite the bully and is extremely territorial during feeding time. I've pondered about re-homing him/her but I'm kinda bonded with the feisty thing. :( I don't know what to do because he/she just keeps getting bigger and as he/she grows, she becomes stronger and more aggressive. So yes, I regret getting him/her.

boxercrazy
02-26-2010, 7:36 AM
The 3 puntius denisonii that were the most expensive fish I have ever bought, all died the next day...:(

dundadundun
02-26-2010, 7:56 AM
tiger barbs... green, albino and ???purple??? as well as skunk loaches... both on suggestions of a lfs. not only that but i asked everyone in the store one at a time (kinda cornered them for sake of private conversation to get individual responses).

they even told me the green (lime green younguns) and purple were natural colors...

yeah... GREAT for planted community setups... okay. next time i ask they're opinions i think i'll be in the market for a bridge. lol

noodles62
02-26-2010, 8:01 AM
I would have to say the HRP I got in a trade. It went on a rampage one night and killed my beloved Julii cories....:swear:

WeedCali
02-26-2010, 4:53 PM
Bloodfin tetras. mainly only because of my tank inhabitants. my RBS hates theyre red fins and chases them around constantly. im going to get rid of them and get glolights instead.

ayra321
02-26-2010, 5:03 PM
black neon tetra,killed anything and everything :(

RisiganL.
02-26-2010, 5:06 PM
My golden wonder killie, it has cost me a fortune because it eats everything.

Sry for asking a question on someone else's post, but how do I start my own post?

Chrisinator
02-26-2010, 5:07 PM
I have 3.

Honey Gouramies - died after about a week and a half and died in some sort of Romeo and Juliet story.

Pencilfish - the guy gave me two different species because they had them in the taller tanks and couldn't see them

Guppies - IDK, I kinda miss my guppies, but probably wont' buy another one.

Merry Minnow
02-26-2010, 5:12 PM
A beautiful lion head goldfish. Many years ago, when I was very foolish and ignorant, I bought this beautiful and expensive fish, which I loved. But I put it in a tropical tank (mistake 1) with small fish that I assumed would leave the big guy alone (mistake 2). Walked in to find that much of his puffy crown had been nibbled away. :(

RisiganL.
02-26-2010, 5:18 PM
Once again, how do I make my own post? My blocker is stoping any private messages...sry

ayra321
02-26-2010, 5:21 PM
for starting your own thread go to one of the forum pages and look for the "new thread" box, it is grayish in color and above the boxes with all of the threads listed but below the sub forums box(if there is a sub forums box)
hope this helps! :)

tdecarlo
02-26-2010, 5:28 PM
I would have to say the last angelfish I bought... brought in ich and velvet and any other protozoan infection you can think of, wiped out half of my tank including my gorgeous mating pair of veil tail angelfish. :( Why I impulse bought another angel I still haven't figured out... but I did, and I paid for it!

fishorama
02-26-2010, 6:00 PM
Skunk loaches, cute little thugs! Nipped everyone's fins then went for cichlid's gills, the food dispensers. On top of that they were impossible to catch, they'd dive into the UGF tubes. Eventually tore the tank down.
Still, if I ever have a spare 55g or so I'd be tempted to try them again, someday, maybe with modestas +/or tiger loaches. All bad boys!

The other fish I regret was an african cichlid, a kennyi I think. LFS told us it probably couldn't live with JDs & other SA cichlids, they were right. Newbs, we didn't want to believe.

grav
02-26-2010, 6:44 PM
I would have to say my four Giant Danios. It's not their fault that they are rowdy guys who apparently don't need sleep or rest but I should have done more research before buying them.
They don't really cause any damage or instigate fights but just by being so active they disrupt the tranquility of the other fish.

FinFanatic
02-26-2010, 7:02 PM
The squirrel fish for my 100g saltwater. He essentially killed my brain coral by picking all the food away from it at feeding time. The brain coral basically starved to death. :(

austinpetemo
02-26-2010, 7:08 PM
and I paid for it!

well i hope so, just walking out with a fish can get you arrested lmao.

another one of my regrets so far has been my marmorkreb, i bought her so i could sell baby krebs and feed some of them to my fish, but she eats all her eggs the about a week before hatching.

melissadotson
02-26-2010, 7:11 PM
i would have to say my coral beauty angel...she is a bully, she picks fights with everybody in the tank..except the fox face..she scared of him..

Reframer
02-26-2010, 7:22 PM
Rubber lip pleco, just hid and pooped all day.

svaha
02-26-2010, 7:27 PM
I would have to say the Mozambique mouth brooders I was given back in my very early years, I was 8 or 9 ,this was back in the 70's, they had tons of babies ,tore up everything, grew up big and ugly. Have to admit they kept the gravel stirred up.

slthoeny
02-26-2010, 9:54 PM
A pair of Firemouths. They were fine until they spawned. Then they owned over half of the tank. I had to rehome one of them. The other lives happily with my exilde fishes that would include my skunk loaches and blackskirt tetras.

Vicious_Fish
02-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Well at the moment it's my Polleni. As he grows he's getting more aggressive. He has a male Convict Cichlid trapped in a flowerpot most of the day. He just won't leave him alone. But the con holds his own in the flowerpot. When I added the polleni the con kicked his butt but now the tables have turned...

rainbowcharmer
02-26-2010, 10:30 PM
I think my biggest regret now are the goldfish I used to keep in bowls as a kid. I didn't know any better, and apparently neither did my parents. They never lived for more than a few months, and then my parents would replace them. That went on for a couple of years before we got tired of having to get new goldfish all the time. Definitely not good. :(

CaliLifeStyle
02-26-2010, 10:35 PM
My Siamese Algae Eater. I bought him/her because I had a hair algae outbreak from plants purchased from an auction -- he/she was zipping through the show tank at the LFS; cleaning the driftwood, substrate, and plastic plants. I bought him/her and let him/her loose in his/her new home -- 6 months later, he/she has not even touched the algae. The stubborn creature refuses to eat anything but flakes, pellets, and live food and has gotten to be quite the bully and is extremely territorial during feeding time. I've pondered about re-homing him/her but I'm kinda bonded with the feisty thing. :( I don't know what to do because he/she just keeps getting bigger and as he/she grows, she becomes stronger and more aggressive. So yes, I regret getting him/her.

I forgot that I had one of these at one time..totally agree! Mine finally died somehow. He got pretty big and territorial as well. I thought he was cool but he was NOT!

RhondaAnn
02-26-2010, 10:41 PM
For me it would have to be the Flowerhorn I had. It was SO beautiful but every time I did a water change he was so anxious to bite me. I must have tasted good to him. :drool:

kevinb120
02-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Mine was more due to tankmates then the fish itself.

I have the two gardeneri killi and brought home a golden wonder killi. Being that the Gardineri pair are so peaceful('prodding' a resting cory back into action is about the only thing they ever do involving other fish-you can almost see them giggle about it). They were BRUTAL to the golden wonder, the m/f pair had him cornered and would stalk him from both ends. The little guy was terrified by the considerably smaller killi, it was non-stop ruthless. I had to take him back(I would of put him in the 15 if I had it at the time). What a personality change...They went right back to just peacefully 'spying' on all the other fish.

That and glowlight tetras. That boring clump of fish were just space filler for a while, until they started nipping the crap out of other fish at night. I mean munching on stuff like my sterbai dorsal fins and lyretail mollys. I figured if they like to nip so much they would enjoy my brother's african cichlid tank, they weren't as good at it as they thought.

mjordan29
02-26-2010, 11:01 PM
2 bala sharks

kevinb120
02-26-2010, 11:12 PM
2 bala sharks

I was poking around a petsmart the other day and was talking to one of the new girls working there. She said she just got a 55 and wanted to get bala sharks and pacu :duh: I had no idea they still sold pacu in stores, it actually said '30+ gallon' requirement(Only off by about 1270 gallons).... Bala are really cool looking fish that get way bigger then you think and are absolutely terrified of everything. She also mentioned tinfoil barbs...She was really on a roll on choices.

SilverDollarMan
02-27-2010, 1:19 AM
Without a doubt buying 2 convicts back in the day when I first started with my community tank. But now I know better lol.

J double R
02-27-2010, 1:45 AM
By and large, the guppies were definitely a regrettable decision. Not so much getting them, but putting them in my densely planted 29g. I had to break down the entire scape to get them out.

chefjamesscott
02-27-2010, 3:17 AM
A TSN. Nothing was safe in that tank. That Guy had an appetite.

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA a real :nutkick: fish eh!!!

http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn352/chefjamesscott/monster%20fish/IMGP6196.jpg
This is actually one of my favourite shots I was there for the hit and caught this.

http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn352/chefjamesscott/monster%20fish/IMGP6197.jpg
When the belly goes empty the mouth must go full
This was a 6-7 inch adult african but the cichlids in with tsn my son's monster fish are considered food anyways.

http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn352/chefjamesscott/monster%20fish/IMGP6060.jpg
this shocked me when he took this one, my kids told me it ate one of the knife fish. I got this shot after apparently it just folded it in half and down it went. The knife was like 7-8 inches long and easy 3 inches tall

BUT I LOVE MY TSN just wanted to put some pics up for ya

I will get back to you on my one regret fish have to think on that

chefjamesscott
02-27-2010, 3:29 AM
this one only took me the time to find the thread

did my research and set up a mbuna tank and stocked it with johani and red zebra and one of the red zebra turned into a psycho so I eventually put him in a tank where he would either get eaten or learn to chill out
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210561&highlight=rocky+red+zebra

D. Hedington
02-27-2010, 5:00 AM
at one stage I was regretting buying an oscar, but that is quite a few years ago.
bought a 70L tank and a 1.5'' oscar, knew nothing about this fish except it had an insane appetite and wouldnt stop growing.
but now i keep and breed a few different types, so i dont realy regret it as much,
well i dont like to look at the food bill, but Im sure their worth it.

jooranda
02-27-2010, 12:34 PM
had a really bad experience with sparkling gouramis never again an also sunburst platies they was sooo mean an bullied my mickey mouse platies an wouldnt let them eat evil fish lol

onebyone
02-27-2010, 1:05 PM
had a really bad experience with sparkling gouramis never again

What happened? I've always wanted those!

I regret almost every fish my dad let me buy when I was a kid. 12 inch common pleco in a 10 gallon tank... I still cringe when I think about it :( He was my absolute favorite, and I had no idea I was torturing him!

rocker92
02-27-2010, 1:25 PM
otos, impluse buy, they freak out when ever i get near the tank, and ive had a hard time feeding them.

occies, thought i would get atleast one female, i think i got three males. they always fight and i hate it.

austinpetemo
02-28-2010, 8:09 PM
occies are amazing, i just love shell dwellers, cleaning the shells really sucks though

pokerboi
02-28-2010, 9:36 PM
A common pleco, before I knew how large they grew.

mes1234
02-28-2010, 9:42 PM
lol, yeah common plecos get massive. I like my little long finned plecos, and my 1 large bristlenose. The female bristlenose isnt big.

Industrial
02-28-2010, 9:44 PM
I bought two tiny iridescent sharks. I planned on trying to rehome them when they got larger, but that didn't quite work out like that.

They would panic if a fish got too close two them, if I looked at them or if they felt like it and swim across my tank uprooting all my plants and then smacking into the glass then they would lay there for a day or two on their side hyperventalating until they got the strength to do it again.

Then one of them decided that he didn't like the tank (or me) and would kamikaze me everytime I did a water change or tried to feed them.

I ended up spending about a month trying to find them a good home. Eventually I gave them to a lady with 3 other iridescent sharks.

tomany
02-28-2010, 10:13 PM
I also have two, a common pleco and a blue Jonanni.

lethalcustoms00
02-28-2010, 10:58 PM
my siamese algae eater. more like siamese bully fish. or the syno lace cat. or the pirahna that ended up eating each other.

Dangerdoll
02-28-2010, 11:12 PM
when I was a kid, my mom had a tropical fish setup with livebearers. I added in a couple jack dempsies that a friend gave me and they devoured the tank. Then a couple years later, another friend gave me these african cichlids, the male was striped and the female was pink.... they coupled up, started breeding, then killed everything in the tank again.

lake_tuna
02-28-2010, 11:12 PM
I will have to go with neon tetras. The first four I bought died the next day, and another 2 I got at some later time were aggressive and loners. I returned them to Petsmart and got my money back!

naliel
02-28-2010, 11:50 PM
synodontis multipunctatus and red eye tetra. Bought the synodontis as a cute little 1/2 guy. When he grew start eating all my neon tetras before I could find the culprit. The son of a gun only left 4 out of a school of 25 neon :cry:
Red eye tetra killed the 4 left neons. Bite the crap out of them.
That's what happen when you buy fishes for how they look.

Anti Decent
03-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Though i Love him, i'd have to say Chipeto the fire eel.
he's really awesome, great personality for a freshwater fish.

but so much upkeep, and he's got a black whole for a stomach.

oh, a post above reminded me of the evil fish i keep downstairs.
i bought 6 red-bellies. one of them is left, and her name is matilda.
:/ she's rather mean.

goats_bunny
03-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Oscars. I'd love to have them, but they do not like me. I've tried them 3 different times now, and each time they die within the first week. Last time I got them one disappeared within the first hour (I think he was an expensive snack for my african frog), and the other disappeared that night.

Fishfriend1
03-02-2010, 11:38 AM
My large common goldfish that will not stop growing and refuse to die. Also some minnows that wont die and can no longer be food for my fish since they fish that was going to eat them died :(

gagaliya
03-02-2010, 8:38 PM
cardinal tetra, what a nightmare....

CrimsonBlush
03-02-2010, 8:56 PM
cardinal tetra, what a nightmare....

Why? Were they too delicate?

Hoyo12
03-02-2010, 9:26 PM
Red Wolf Fish. Attacked anything and everything, including a 12" Oscar.(The Wolf was only 4") It died soon after it jumped at the cover of the tank, and hit too hard...

Alec2cool
03-02-2010, 9:29 PM
Mine would be my 2inch Tiger Oscar. Ive put 6 differant fish that the Petsmart Guy told me would be fine with him. All of them have died within one night each time i added a new one. Even another oscar that was larger than he was. Eventually i assumed the guy was lying to me and i asked my dad about it and he freaked out telling me that oscars are really individual and dont get along with much anything. but i did find a Pleco that he enjoys very much, thank god. lol

jm1212
03-02-2010, 9:34 PM
my blue gourami. it was really personable, but it kill everything in the tank. plants, snails, fish, EVERYTHING.

Bart G
03-02-2010, 9:59 PM
Greenside darter Etheostoma Blennioides I've tried several times to keep them but they just end up washed out looking, emaciated and skittish while my other darters were doing great.

kYle223
03-24-2010, 9:02 AM
i got this platinum gourami when i cycled my tank
in the store i was debating on the plat or the pearls
they only had one plat left so i figured ide get a pearl later and well . . . i did and the plat bit off all his fins
that plat killed a total of 3 other gouramis the same way by biting off thair fins and just watching them die
he also killed 2 african butterfly fish
2 cory cats
an angel fish
a ram cichlid
a kuhli loach
and probably more that i cant think of right now

blue2fyre
03-24-2010, 10:17 AM
I'm really starting to regret my multis. Everyone told me they are really interesting and do a lot of cool behaviors. All they do is hover above their shells and stare at me. Even if I sit really still, they still rarely swim around. I'm thinking about selling them and letting the calvus(1") have the whole tank.

Anoxia
03-24-2010, 12:15 PM
I would love to keep a dwarf gourami, but I've tried twice, and both times I lost them to a wasting disease that I couldn't cure. Same thing with my peacock gudgeon, but that wasn't a disease, I just didn't realize how hard it would be to feed one in a community setting. I want to try them again in their own species tank, with blackworms living in the substrate.

If you have sand, try letting blackworms live in the sand. It makes it much easier to get food to creatures who are normally hard to feed in a community tank. If I had known about that, I think my peacock gudgeon would have survived.

Right now I am keeping African dwarf frogs in a community tank with rainbowfish. Normally the rainbows would eat all the food before the frogs even knew what was going on, but with a constant supply of worms in the substrate, my frogs are gloriously fat.

kynto
03-24-2010, 2:17 PM
the pleco that barked (then died) besides that only thing i can think of was many years ago when i was about 15 my mom "surprised" me with a new fish while i was at school. new fish was a rather large catfish, and i came home to find my betta pair and a whole school of tetras missing.next day the guppies and an algae eater were gone. in a few days i had just a catfish :'(

Kerry121774
03-25-2010, 3:48 PM
I would have to say an albino paradise gourami --- He ate the fins off my angelfish and before you yell at me <-Newbie LFS guy said they woudl work together! Currently they are adjusting!

Fishfriend1
03-25-2010, 6:06 PM
I would have to say an albino paradise gourami --- He ate the fins off my angelfish and before you yell at me <-Newbie LFS guy said they woudl work together! Currently they are adjusting!

Never trust your LFS unless they have been extra helpful and reliable. They exsist to sell you fish!

I have another one. Common Goldfish! I got 1 from a pond, 2 from a LFS, 1 from a fair. They are in a 30 gal (pond comming) and get weekly WCs of about 30%. The largest one was about 4" when i caught it, now its about 8" including the tail. The smallest one came from the fair. It was about 2" long when i got it, now its about 4" long, includeing tail. I plan for a 200-400 gal pond 2 feet deep at least. I just need to save up and find one i like (i go with pre-shaped ponds). They eat anything that fits in their mouths and have pulled up any and all plants (fake and real) and move anything smaller then them. The tank have 2 large filters and an air stone. Some gravel, nothing else will survive in the tank, to many hungry fish! I dont want to re-home them thought, i love my Jack, Joe, Jim, and Jenny.

Dangerdoll
03-25-2010, 6:42 PM
awww, I think that's how a lot of us aquire those common goldies as a start, FF.... curious, why do each of their names start with J? Is there a reason or is it just a coincidence?

Freezekougra
03-25-2010, 9:21 PM
Oscar

I love that fish, but fact is tanks cost a lot, one fish in a tank sucks when you don't have a lot of tanks, and it is hard to get rid of to a good home even if it's free

Bio123
03-26-2010, 6:11 PM
I hate eclipse or sun catfish. A long time ago, when I was a newbie, I decided to get the biggest catfish for my 10 gallon. Though already overstocked at the time, I put my catfish in the tank. Day by day, I would find a fish missing and my catfish growing bigger. Since it looked so innocent, it took me a while to figure out what kept eating my fish.

Fishfriend1
03-26-2010, 8:23 PM
awww, I think that's how a lot of us aquire those common goldies as a start, FF.... curious, why do each of their names start with J? Is there a reason or is it just a coincidence?

I have a lot of relatives with names starting with J, there is Uncle Joe, Cosine Jim, Gampa Jack, and aunt Jenny. I also have a cosine Jackie and uncle Jake. And for the ones that dont start with J ima just say that there are about 24 cosines, 16 aunts, 15 uncles, 5 grandpas, 6 grandmas, and a number of other relatives. First cosine, seconds, thirds, ext... My family is really big... and at our family reunion we need to rent 1 entire area of anywhere w go. 1 chunk of the campground, 1 200 seater gazebo plz, and can we just rent the whole hotel?, and ooh my favorite one yet! "Can we just rent all the cabins here? what about all the little ones?"

Yea, my family is really big, we have relatives in Europe (England, France, and Italy) as well as Mexico and Australia (never met them). If there was ever a family with connections on the moon it would be mine!

Sorry to hijack the thread, just needed to post this for DD.

Scuppers
03-26-2010, 8:45 PM
Cod

Fishfriend1
03-26-2010, 8:53 PM
As i am always full of ideas i would add those feeder minnows to the list. You buy some for food and then all your fish get sick and die and you need to go to the pet store and get new fish. Its a great way for the LFSs to make some easy $$$

_Ty_
03-26-2010, 9:09 PM
green severum

when I first started really getting into the hobby the guy at the LFS said wouldn't disturb my new live plants.... he ate and uprooted everything!

BadFishPa
03-26-2010, 9:11 PM
Years back a Red Belly Pacu.. I bought him at about 6 inches for a 90 gallon tank.Then bought a 300 gallon figured him and some friends,,umm nope they really do get big ,and very fast it was too small too..Then ya find out nobody wants a over 26-27 inch fish and it becomes decision time..Ended up having a wonderfull summer in my pond,then knowing clearly it would die over our hard winter..It actually made me a better fishkeeper,since that day i research every aspect before buying a fish..

snoopy65
03-26-2010, 9:51 PM
Well at the moment it's my Polleni. As he grows he's getting more aggressive. He has a male Convict Cichlid trapped in a flowerpot most of the day. He just won't leave him alone. But the con holds his own in the flowerpot. When I added the polleni the con kicked his butt but now the tables have turned...

I have to agree with you VF. I loved my Polleni male, but mine too grew more aggressive the more he grew. Remember? I tried to give him to you. Fortunately for me, I was able to rehome him with a guy who lives about an hour away and has a breeding program for them. My understanding is that my male is now quite the ladies man............up until he tries to kill the female. Which with Polleni happens quite often. I guess that is why they are extinct in the wild.

bluekrissyspike
03-26-2010, 9:56 PM
my lungfish. bought him as a newb. was told he'd never out grow my 30g. now closing in on 30". tried to sell him for a short time but no one was interested in a ginormous fish that could potentially snap off all your fingers at once. now i have a 2'x6' rubbermaid container in my kitchen instead of a table and chairs and i have to keep it gated off all the time so the kids don't get into it.

Bottomfeeder2
03-27-2010, 6:03 AM
Australian Rainbows. They were a complete impulse buy, and not good ones either. They were aggressive, nipping other fish, and forget about feeding any slower fish in the tank. I was growing a Ctenopoma out in a divided section of the tank, but I couldn't let him out with the Rainbows. I resisted the urge to bring them back to Petland, where they would rot, and brought them to Shark Aquarium in New Jersey where they will get good care and hopefully a good home. But in the meantime, they have good tankmates, good food and clean water. I got some Yoyos and a Flash Pleco that day too :D

angelfish-lover
03-27-2010, 6:44 AM
Fantail Goldfish. Woke up one morning to find it swimming around in the tank with a full grown pregnant platty in it's mouth.

Fishfriend1
03-27-2010, 10:16 AM
umm, lets see, Blue Damsels (salt water) will be on this list now, i got one and it killed off my entire school of green chromis (also SW). IF YOU ARE GOING SW DONT GET DAMSELS!

Piranha86
03-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Red Flame Dwarf Gourami. They're just so freaking peaceful. NOT! Mine is one of the most beautiful fish, but I hate it's guts. I have a peaceful community tank where my main focus is breeding platies. I have a few other tetras and cories, but this is the one that ate all of my platy fry. At the beginning, I thought I would buy it a female friend. (This one is a male). It pulled an OJ and stressed it to the point of death. It also killed by biting off chunks 5 guppies. It's killed at least 5 neons, which I replace, by biting off their tails. I just don't have the heart to get rid of it though. I'm considering getting a 5 or 10 gallon just for it.

sed03f
03-27-2010, 1:14 PM
My skunk loach killed all 3 loaches while I was away for the weekend:( He went back to store where they said they were "non-aggressive"

Then hubby came home with a puffer that ate chunks off my kuhlis:( He went back to the store:)

Now I have 2 angels that bully my 55, they are huge, cant wait till their days pass

kevs014
03-27-2010, 1:36 PM
prob a cray fish lol, it was trying to pinch at my fish and it freaking put leaves all over the bottom of my aquarium so i chopped off one of its big arms the first day (sounds pretty gruesome ha ha, the next day i just threw him out my 2 story window and never saw him since.. :)

Piranha86
03-27-2010, 9:14 PM
prob a cray fish lol, it was trying to pinch at my fish and it freaking put leaves all over the bottom of my aquarium so i chopped off one of its big arms the first day (sounds pretty gruesome ha ha, the next day i just threw him out my 2 story window and never saw him since.. :)

Whoah! That's... an interesting way of dealing with it. Good job :clap:.

NorthcoastGirl
03-28-2010, 9:27 AM

that's horrible. next time you want to get rid of something, just kill it humanely. you don't have to torture it.

modri rogatec
03-28-2010, 10:15 AM

I hope you are just kidding... :(

I don't regret buying any fish...even the goldies I used to have in a too small tank - they went to the pond after that so happy ending for all

Jessu
03-29-2010, 2:12 PM
My weather loaches, I do love them, but they have caused so much trouble.

Fishfriend1
03-29-2010, 2:14 PM
Do catfish count? He just wont leave me alone!

Fishfriend1
03-29-2010, 2:28 PM

next time just give him back to the Pet store. Or give him away. Next time you think bout doing somethin like that think "what would i want to happen to me?"

FishDreamer48
03-29-2010, 2:46 PM
Every male gourami that I've had - a blue, a pearl, and a dwarf. All of them have been bullies.

Yeah that would be me too!

modri rogatec
03-30-2010, 6:07 AM
Do catfish count? He just wont leave me alone!

Cute catfish :).
I have one just like this and it constantly chases my guppies around...And the worst part it is constantly trying to escape from my tank...:devil:Hum you think my 20 gallon is too small for it :) ?

melv
03-30-2010, 6:25 AM
Golden AE hes getting aggressive these days. also in a previous tank i had 5 rouge serpet tetras some reason killed everything including my 2 angles and many swordtail's :-(

bradlgt21
03-30-2010, 8:14 AM
I would have to say the two gourami I had. They sure were pretty but they picked on everything in the tank. My second choice would have to be peacock gudgeons, tried it 4 times paying shipping for pretty much each and all died.

mightymax860
03-30-2010, 8:42 AM
I'll say a group of badis badis from aquabid they got here all sick with bloat and pretty beat up they only lasted three days they where nice but the seller reay sold me a bunch of sick fish and with the shipping cost it wasn't worth the hassle of getting them replaced

Ratlova30
07-19-2010, 10:00 PM
Red eye tetras, nipped at my crowntail bettas fins. I also kinda regret hatching out trout eggs, now I have to build a pond. I must say having pet trout will be a great conversation starter. Hardly believe it myself, pet trout...

Oh and Dennis the menace my feeder goldfish that I agreed to take after a former friends salamander didn't eat him. Because of him I got hooked on goldfish again. Thanks Dennis just what I need...:headshake2:

aussie pride
07-20-2010, 3:45 AM
hmm would be my Kenyii.. he will kill anything except large snails. i was newb when i baught him. i also got a female. not long after he started picking at her. she lasted about 3 months. he now lives alone with about 3 snails. hes the most angry fish on the face of the planet. if i put him with my 11 in barramundi the ninja cichlid would pick at the barra to death. im talking about a 2 in cichlid..desmond i sorta regret. hes the barra. hes not even 9 months old and he is in a 540 liter tank. when i got him he was a bit over 2 iches long!. i love all my fish though. especially my dopey barra :D

FishVixen
07-20-2010, 8:07 AM
ELECTRIC CATFISH! 10 years old, 1969, no information at library or the LFS, buying it from a store to far away to return it. Get my drift! I'm lucky I'm alive nothing else lived.

verbal
07-20-2010, 8:09 AM
hmm would be my Kenyii.. he will kill anything except large snails. i was newb when i baught him. i also got a female. not long after he started picking at her. she lasted about 3 months. he now lives alone with about 3 snails. hes the most angry fish on the face of the planet. if i put him with my 11 in barramundi the ninja cichlid would pick at the barra to death. im talking about a 2 in cichlid..desmond i sorta regret. hes the barra. hes not even 9 months old and he is in a 540 liter tank. when i got him he was a bit over 2 iches long!. i love all my fish though. especially my dopey barra :D
Kenyii would be mine too. They basically have taken over their 60 gallon tank. I have other fish they don't kill, but the other fish don't really thrive either.

Quinn1928
07-20-2010, 8:40 AM
a m swordtail that im trying to get rid of. Grew huge and killed the 2 females w/ him then killed all fish in the tank but a f cherry barb and 3 glowlight rasboras. RRR. he is also impossible to catch.

countrychick
07-20-2010, 9:03 AM
awww. I LOVE my oscar even thougth I didnt at first. Its nice to get up in the morning to a fish thats excited to see me LMAO.....maybe its just because she knows im the one that comes with the food, either way shes awesome :y220d: I have yet to get a fish that I regret purchasing, althougth the zebra danios did drive me nuts.
Oscar

I love that fish, but fact is tanks cost a lot, one fish in a tank sucks when you don't have a lot of tanks, and it is hard to get rid of to a good home even if it's free

Jannika
07-20-2010, 9:35 AM
Giant Danios. I don't really regret getting them, but I can't say I'll miss them either. We just never "bonded". They were always too busy, running around at all hours, chasing anything that moved.

lisaemc2
07-20-2010, 10:13 AM
5 of the 8 cichlids I bought many years ago. I had 1 female & 2 male labiotropheus trewervasae & when she got pregnant the others were killed. Last year I started a tank & stocked it w/ a few Mollies. I only bought them to speed the cycle because I wanted another cichlid tank. But man! They are as hardy as any cichlid I've ever had. Now I have to call elementary schools & advertise the MANY batches of fry I get every 2 months or so.

spencerguy1
07-20-2010, 10:17 AM
I would have to say my Chinese algae eater, although destroying the tank wasn't his fault. At the time, i had 1 male Betta, 5 Guppies, 5 Black neon tetras, 3 ghost shrimp, and my chinese algae eater. We gave him algae pellets to sustain his algae diet. And then one fateful afternoon... My curious 4 year old brother dump the whole bag of algae pellets into the tank. EVERYTHING DIED. its not my algae eaters fault, its just that we wouldn't have had the pellets if we didn't have him.

KevG
07-20-2010, 10:22 AM
when I didn't know any better... I got 4 id sharks.
2 albino; they died within a few months.
2 reg. 1 died shortly after the albino's.
The last one I brought back to the lfs for a 4$ credit :)

They were totally destructive to all other fish and plants.
I also did not know at the time that they can get to 3 feet long!

Ballyhoo
07-20-2010, 3:40 PM
I got 2 Cichlids, a severum and a blood parrot, off a lady on craigslist. They were free, but they don't get along well with other fish, and I can't bring myself to give them away.

fishndude
07-20-2010, 3:58 PM
A wild caught baby bluegill.

saram521
08-04-2010, 5:35 PM
Kissing gouramis, blech!

GuppyGirl1230
08-04-2010, 7:07 PM
I regret my mollies and my common pleco- reasons are obvious!!!! LOL

GotTanked
08-04-2010, 7:56 PM
A wild caught baby bluegill.

:topic: What cichlid is that in your avatar?

My biggest fish regret would be my Von Rio tetra that killed everything.

ScottoMacD
08-04-2010, 8:55 PM
:topic: What cichlid is that in your avatar?

My biggest fish regret would be my Von Rio tetra that killed everything.

I'm not fishndude (http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/member.php?u=104133), but that is a Severum in his avatar.
Sorry for butting in.

Biggest regret a very nasty Tilapia buttekoferi. Just wasn't the time to have him.
Major havoc caused.

bettatail
08-06-2010, 8:39 PM
American Flag fish, not for a community fish tank, no matter how much it is planted.
prepare to pick up death fish if you have fish smaller or in similar size as flag fish in your tank.

SAE, (langei and atrimiles) bought several as juveniles, growup to full length adults and still dedicate to their faithfull career-cleaning algae.
But they all realized the other side of the glass was not water before they went to heaven.
now I have only 5 junveniles left, hair algae is out of control since they are not big enough to mow down hair algae.

aj2494
08-06-2010, 11:28 PM
A rubberlip pleco from petsmart with ich. Wiped out an entire 29 gal, including my prized oblongum pair. Very sad time for me.

waldo12
08-07-2010, 2:17 AM
swordtails. overpopulated my 120 gallon in two months (I only had six at the start -.-)
babies hard to catch as heck when you've got a decorated 5 foot tank.

Big Mike
08-07-2010, 10:38 AM
3 out of the 4 CAE I have. 3 of them are total bullies and had to be moved to my GF's Cichlid tank. I do have one that is very friendly and does not bother any of the fish he is with.

gmh
08-07-2010, 11:23 AM
I rescued 32 Dario Darios from a guy that had to get rid of them and put them in a couple community tanks. It was just too tough trying to keep them fed. Live blackworms were the only thing they all seemed to like, and they were outcompeted for food by the other fish. I target fed them but even the little neons would swoop in and take food right out of their mouths at times.
One by one they died of bloat or some other ailment. The last one lived maybe 4 months.

CWO4GUNNER
08-07-2010, 11:36 AM
7" male Bumblebee A. Cichlid, one mean beautiful loner fish. Free if anyone wants him.

AquaticZen
08-07-2010, 1:25 PM
Goldfish...

betta splendens
08-07-2010, 7:59 PM
A pair of gardneri killifish. First the male tried to kill the female, and then everything else in the tank. He maneged to murder 2 halfbeaks, one betta, 2 celebes rainbows, and an oto. And he did all of this during a one hour! I was out of the house or I would have noticed the problem and moved him.

Ara
08-07-2010, 10:26 PM
1. A couple of female bettas.. it was early in my tank experience and I admit I did not know better. The girl I 'rescued' my first tank from had 1 male betta in with 2 female bettas in a community tank... when the 2 girls passed away (they were over 2 years old) I got 2 more females, trusting in her advice that that would be fine. Of course, things went bad and I ended up having to get more tanks to accomodate the female bettas..

I suppose that is a lose/win situation, since it was the start of me adding more tanks to my repertoire.. but.. I do sometimes wish that my tank additions allowed me more freedom to choose other types of fish (so many do not mix with bettas).. I would LOVE to try chichlids.. but.. then again, I would not trade my girls for the world, so it's a confusing mistake..

2. Red-Wag Platys... I bought 3 and they died with in a week.. nooo idea why, since everyone else in my 3-year cycled tank (a betta, zebra danios, ADF's and cories) was healthy...

Betta Bob
08-07-2010, 10:41 PM
C.A.E.

Ara
08-07-2010, 11:50 PM
C.A.E??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAE

Chrisinator
08-07-2010, 11:57 PM
C.A.E??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAE

Chinese Algae Eater

Ara
08-07-2010, 11:59 PM
Hee hee.. got it, thanks!

Chrisinator
08-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Oh, lol, waait, was that supposed to be a joke? lollls

spencerguy1
08-08-2010, 12:03 AM
chinese algae eaters are evil!

Chrisk-K
08-08-2010, 12:11 AM
Goldfish.

Bonniegiff
08-08-2010, 1:12 AM
Two Angles, I have had them for about a year. At least three times a month they lay eggs and none of the eggs are ever fertilized. I presume they are both femails. I had to take them out of my main tank because when they layed their eggs they got very nasty and chased after the other fish biting them to the point where they died. I have now moved them to their own tank and they cant get at other fish but if you put your hand in the tank to clean it they atack me and it hurts.

Roybe
08-08-2010, 3:16 AM
I wish I never got the 2 coloured window tetras!!!
All the other fish I have are placid, but the tetras..... Arrgh!:swear:

Ratlova30
08-08-2010, 3:27 AM
Can someone tell me what colored window tetras are?

ragasssd
08-08-2010, 9:07 AM
just about every fish i've gotten i've regretted. then again i've only forayed into small types, guppies, mollies, tetras. but now, i've finally found the perfect fit for me, the white cloud mountain minnow...beautiful, charming personalities, and somehow, just right!

user_name
08-09-2010, 10:38 AM
My mom bought me a CAE a long time ago. I got grounded after explaining to her that it needed different conditions then what we were providing . I really did love him the ne day he survived... :/
(tank was too hot, was still cycling, and was only a 10g)

LelandC
08-13-2010, 12:39 AM
probably my common pleco.

eats ton of food
poops everywhere
poop is goddamugly
don't do nothing for the algae
eats my plants
bothers other fish

MChorse13
08-13-2010, 2:52 AM
cray fish wanted one for a while then literally the next day,i found my holy grail of the fish world a baby fw stone fish. im contemplating eating him ive never had crayfish before........haha i kid. anyone have any suggestions on what i should do???

wwolf
08-14-2010, 2:18 AM
Probably just a yoyo loach. I'd gotten a small school of three, and a couple weeks later picked up another to add to the school. Problems started in that he was larger and outgrew them quickly, then began bullying the other three. For the past few months it hasn't been too bad, but I found one of the smaller yoyos on the floor today apparently chased to the point of jumping out, so he got pulled out and is in a 10g QT until he can go back tomorrow. (also got to learn their spines can hurt a bit...)

I've had a school of CAEs I picked up when a LFS pointed me at them in place of proper SAEs. They hadn't started any problems, but were approaching 4" and the RTS was avoiding them rather than chase them, so they went back.

Some of the fish seem to be particular to the one you get rather than the species. The RTS only starts chasing the others when I drop in frozen brine shrimp or the like. I also have a Florida Flagfish in the tank now who seems fine, but just runs around with the mollies, doesn't bother the molly fry, and doesn't care for the beard algae.

The Zigman
08-14-2010, 2:37 AM
Filet-o-Fish, McDonalds, September, 1992...

About hoarked up a lung.
Wasn't quite right for a week.

I dont think I'll be getting another one of them any time soon.

GuppyGirl1230
08-14-2010, 4:31 AM
ROFLMAO Zig..... Hoarked up a lung LMAO.... LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

agp
08-14-2010, 8:33 AM
Albino cory catfish. Not really sure why I even got them in the first place. They're ugly, ugly and ugly. Put them in my tank and they were spastic 99% of the time, swimming from the bottom to the top of the water then right back down; scared the crap out of my tetras. And they're ugly.

newpatch36
09-06-2010, 5:53 PM
Bloodfin Tetra has showed up a number of times on this list and I've got to admit I had a similarly disappointing experience. Really aggressive and nippy toward each other, not at all peaceful and relaxing as I'd hoped. I now prefer White Cloud Minnows.

Aquanote
05-03-2011, 8:27 PM
Swordtails! 1 male 2 females. I suspected they don't go along too well with each others, One female being territorial to other female. I woke up today and saw one of my darling angelfish having a bad fins.. Oh the Swordtails basically gobbled up food before it reach to my Angels and Kissing Gouramis...hrmppph

user_name
05-03-2011, 9:06 PM
not fish, but fire belly toads. I wish I had known that they really don't do very much, although they seem to like their new wicked cool tank more.

RNeiswander
05-03-2011, 9:15 PM
Mollies! and my striped raphael cat. Just sits around and looks ugly

Jumko
05-03-2011, 9:46 PM
Common pleco... would make a giant dust cloud of sand every time it moved an inch. Not to mention its 8 inch strings of poop.

TabisFish
05-03-2011, 9:51 PM
Mollies. They breed like rabbits and in my experience, they are always ill.

Zeetrain
05-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Two 6" featherfin synodontis off of craigslist. They looked cool and all but they loved to hide and the whole time I had them I was afraid they were gonna eat my smaller clown loaches. Got more money for them when I traded them in to an LPS then when I bought them.

TheFishBoss97
05-03-2011, 10:58 PM
My Common Pleco that started as a small 4" pleco for my 20G tank, but soon outgrew it at a size of 11". I then finally sold it.

minka-1974
05-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Probably my clown loach. I love the little guy but I bought him several years ago before I knew better.

Me too!

cicrush13
05-05-2011, 1:00 PM
It wasn't a fish that I bought so much as accepted from a friend who was having problems with it. It was a golden wonder killie and boy was he mean! I got him when he was about 3.5" and he ruled my 60 wide with fish 2 x his size in there. I gave him to my lfs.

Khemul
05-05-2011, 2:16 PM
My Horseface Loach. Still not sure if it is alive or dead. Added it two months ago, it swam straight to the bottom, dove into the sand, and hasn't been seen since. Cool fish though from what little I saw of it.

silentcircuit
05-05-2011, 8:20 PM
My second (current) Green Spotted Puffer.

I loved the first one (named "Rasputin"), but he had a ton of internal parasites and died after months of off and on treatment. I'd get him to pass several worms, keep up treatment for a few more days, nothing else would come out and I'd quit. He'd be fine for a month, then start with the constantly sunken belly thing again. I was feeding frozen bloodworms (Hikari), freeze-dried krill (Tetra), and tiny snails I got from PetSmart for free on occasion. I spent so much money on him, but he was a great fish, always excited to see me, very curious and interactive. The last round of treatment tons and tons of worms came out of his gills and he died, probably from asphyxiation. I was devestated and left the tank fallow for at least six months.

Finally, tired of looking at an empty tank I got my current GSP, "Frumious Bandersnatch". She is healthy as anything, living a little over a year with me now incident free. So why don't I like her? She ignores me 99% of the time, just paces up and down the glass day in day out despite having tons of decorations and such to look through and bits of food occasionally hidden to find (honestly I'm trying, I know they need things to do) and refuses to eat anything but freeze dried krill and the occasional bloodworm. All the snails I've put in I've had to fish back out a day or two later when the high salinity in her tank kills them. She let 5 of the last 25 ghost shrimp I fed her live, which is nice only because they help clean up all the food she ignores. I've tried feeding ghost shrimp since and she has no interest in them. Also tried bloodworms, tubifex, blackworms, and more. She'll eat a few, then let the rest sit on the bottom for a day till I suck them up so they don't rot.

I tried putting another GSP in with her in hopes it would liven her up and reduce the pacing, but she just freaked out for about 3 hours while it followed her around, shooting all around the tank and hitting the top several times, then turned around and removed half its fins in about 2 minutes. I pulled him out for his own good and returned him to the local fish store, and no tankmates have been attempted since...

I guess she's not a "bad" fish, I just really liked the personality of the first GSP, and she's comparatively boring and unobservant. Yet, as many others have said about their "problem" fish I can't bring myself to bring her back to the store or otherwise re-home her, so I'm "stuck" with her.

Also, the Spotted Climbing Perch I recently put in my 29G freshwater tank as a sort of centerpiece fish is taking my Neons out one by one every few days, but I think he's getting used to eating flake so hopefully that won't keep being a problem. He's cool enough that I honestly almost don't mind. If I could just "train" him to eat feeder guppies and leave the neons alone that'd be great, but I suspect I'd just end up with a tank full of feeder guppies. I'm a softy. "I can't let him eat you! You have pretty colors!"

redbullbill
05-05-2011, 9:12 PM
My opaline gourami.It bullied all the fish in my tropical tank so as punishment i threw him in with my comets that are twice his size.Took the attitude right out of him!!!
And i gave away a really mean swordtail!!

Que
05-05-2011, 9:29 PM
Geez... from this 17 page thread you'd think there wasn't a fish alive that everyone would like. I've had some disappointments with fish for sure like the gazillion neons I stubbornly wanted to have but could never seem to get and have live for more than a few years if they made it past a few months of which most did not. Mollies I will never have again as they seem to multiply faster than the fry can be eaten. And finally I have a pair of SAEs which are constantly at each other doing a stress dance where they bump each other head to tail when in open water to the point of each of them losing color but if they aren't then the bigger one has the smaller one in constant hiding.

On the other hand, and I have been inspired by this one to make a new thread, the fish I LOVE to have are my Koi Angel, my Panda Cory, my Common Rummy Nose, my Otos, my Harliquin Rasboras and my Cardinals

oo7genie
05-05-2011, 9:32 PM
A second, larger maingano cichlid, added to my 55g mbuna tank after 6 months without stocking changes. The original maingano (1/3-1/2 his size) chased him incessantly for an hour or so, until I took him out and stuck him in the QT after finding him struggling to stay afloat, upside down, at the bottom of the tank. He died just a few hours later. Needless to say, at this point nothing is getting added to that tank until I get a larger tank, and completely redo the rock work.

My other regret would be ghost shrimp, the most likely culprit in having been host to the callamanus worms that infected my 60g tank, killing my 2 GBRs, and infecting at least 2 jewels and maybe others that I haven't seen signs in yet. Luckily, I was able to obtain levamisole, which is supposed to be the only sure fire way of getting rid of them. Still in the process of treating all of my tanks.

Que
05-05-2011, 9:35 PM
A second, larger maingano cichlid, added to my 55g mbuna tank after 6 months without stocking changes. The original maingano (1/3-1/2 his size) chased him incessantly for an hour or so, until I took him out and stuck him in the QT after finding him struggling to stay afloat, upside down, at the bottom of the tank. He died just a few hours later. Needless to say, at this point nothing is getting added to that tank until I get a larger tank, and completely redo the rock work.

My other regret would be ghost shrimp, the most likely culprit in having been host to the callamanus worms that infected my 60g tank, killing my 2 GBRs, and infecting at least 2 jewels and maybe others that I haven't seen signs in yet. Luckily, I was able to obtain levamisole, which is supposed to be the only sure fire way of getting rid of them. Still in the process of treating all of my tanks.

I don't know if the same thing happened to me but I remember seeing a worm inside a ghost shrimp I had a long tome ago. I was a newb at the time and didn't know any better.

TheFishBoss97
05-05-2011, 10:32 PM
Another fish. My Koi Adult Angel that grew huge, but I am selling it because it has started eating my harlequins and tetras and other schoolers

Bloobull24
05-06-2011, 1:11 AM
i had a yellow lab cichlid that could not be housed with any other fish. chase chase chase bully bully bully

Belltrain
05-06-2011, 5:07 AM
leporius faciatus fish is such a punk...

Fishfriend1
05-06-2011, 8:34 AM
Mollies. I got them, then they bred, now I need them gone. I also regretted getting my various goldfish, but those have since been rehomed, so all ends well, I guess. Oh, and corys. I just have no luck with them, no matter how much I try to get them to live they don't make it. I haven't had any in a while now, don't want to kill any more of the cute little fellas. Oh, and a single, completely evil convict I once had. Every time I would walk past the tank it would try to bite me through the glass and several feet of air, and I got a little scared of reeding it, for fear of losing fingers (not that it could have taken any off, too small, but definitely evil enough to try...) It jumped from the tank and died, and I was sad, but somewhat relieved too. Any and all of the wild fish I managed to catch when I was a kid, any and all oversized fish I ever found/got, and any and all overly aggressive fish I ever got.

And those are the fish I regret getting.

rufioman
05-06-2011, 12:00 PM
gsps...my entire mbuna tank. yeah, and a peacock eel. didn't work out too well for him.

:cheers:

Fractalis
05-06-2011, 1:11 PM
rainbow shark (and i just had to pick out the meanest one)

Juice
05-06-2011, 1:21 PM
rainbow shark (and i just had to pick out the meanest one)

i'm surprised you didn't post a video of it :P

I haven't got a fish yet that I regret...I lurv them all!

Fractalis
05-06-2011, 1:26 PM
i'm surprised you didn't post a video of it :P

I haven't got a fish yet that I regret...I lurv them all!

i dont have a video of him (he died)

but this video demonstrates what he did on a regular basis ...... cause trouble

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNppH4Vs2YU&feature=channel_video_title

Sandz
05-06-2011, 1:53 PM
Serpae Tetras... they hunted and killed every other fish in the tank at night and then each other...

stoneyredneck
05-06-2011, 1:58 PM
Pseudotropheus Flavus

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/59335_1416097197696_1090571792_30971326_7210751_n. jpg

beautiful fish, but mean as he11. I had just failed with my second attempt at raising an EBJD baby, so I paid $60 to have a 3" one shipped to me, and this booger killed him the first night, even though he was only half its size. Had I been able to catch him that day, I can guarantee you, he would have experienced a slow and painful death. Luckily for him, it took me a couple of days to catch him. In the mean time I found a friend who would take him. He is now the bully in my friends tank, but still doing well.

e5anderm
05-06-2011, 3:28 PM
Demasoni Cichlid

Got a really small (young) male a couple years ago that went crazy and killed EVERYTHING that was in the tank and EVERYTHING that was put into the tank after I got him . . .

Short list of things it killed that I can remember off the top of my head
Pair of Kribensis
Yellow Peacock
Blue Johanni
4X Neon Tetras
Rainbow Shark
And a Blue Crayfish . . . my mom thought it looked cool and would be able to live with the Demasoni, so she bought it and threw it in my tank . . . it survived for about 2 months . . .

ZomZom
05-06-2011, 7:53 PM
This thread is removing all desire for me to expand beyond the peaceful aquarium.

Khemul
05-06-2011, 8:01 PM
This thread is removing all desire for me to expand beyond the peaceful aquarium.

If this thread proves anything, it is that any fish can be bad for various reasons. Think just about everything has been listed from peaceful to aggressive. :rofl:

FishesRWishes
05-06-2011, 9:23 PM
Guppies. They are wonderful fish and I do love watching them but in every batch I buy a few always die. Two just got sluggish and then kicked the bucket, one had a fungue (or something) that I spent 50+ dollars trying to fix another just had crazy fin rot and when his quality of life declined he went to fishy heaven. The guppies that don't get ill are wonderful and hardier but I seem to have just gotten a few bad quality ones.

I was worried about the otos and the gourami being hard to keep but nope, it was the guppies.

OliviaBolivia
05-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Guppies. Never again, except maybe endlers.

But by far the worst were the yo-yo loaches. They bullied all my panda corys to death, plucked out the eyes of my neons, and evaded capture to such an extent that I wrecked my tank every time I tried to net one. Got them out in the end though. :)

Wren
05-07-2011, 2:36 PM
Guppies. Never again, except maybe endlers.

But by far the worst were the yo-yo loaches. They bullied all my panda corys to death, plucked out the eyes of my neons, and evaded capture to such an extent that I wrecked my tank every time I tried to net one. Got them out in the end though. :)

My yoyo loach is beautiful!!!

He also lives with the African cichlids now. I've never seen a scratch or split fin on him...

AquaLass
09-17-2011, 6:13 PM
Mbuna, by far. He swam up and bit me but my Piranha did not!!!! (Yep, always had gloves on.)

chefjamesscott
09-17-2011, 6:38 PM
For me it is not a fish that I willingly have gotten this time.

The dreaded Pacu. This time the one I have came with helping a friend of mine rehome all of his fish so that he could sell off the tanks from his fish room. When it came to the pacu, my buddy just shrugged his shoulders and said "Who is gonna take that thing?" Of course I could not take all his fish and leave him with the pacu. So now I once again have a pacu in my 300g.

Unfortunately it would seem this pacu has a taste for other fish. Came in the other morning to find one of my red bay snooks went for a bite, to bad it was the one that got bit.

'I really think they should not sell pacu in the hobby.

I am going to get my galvanized stock tub 300g and treat it with a aquarium safe sealant and then make it into a pond for mr pacu.

I am going to see if a guy I know who has a 600g would be interested.

homedog98
09-17-2011, 7:22 PM
Black Molly and black skirt tetras. The Molly poops too much (and won't quit having babies!) and the black skirts are overly nippy towards each other... But I can't bare to get rid of them. :(

angelfishlover
09-21-2011, 6:48 AM
I would like to say its my common pleco... The longest resident in the tank... Had it since it was just around 2 inches but unfortunately it grew too big and start uprooting the plants...

The Zigman
09-21-2011, 7:09 AM
Filet-o-fish from McD's...

My stomach wasn't right for a week...

Fishfriend1
09-21-2011, 8:27 AM
lol, nice one Ziggy!

I'd say that mine is a toss up between mollies and black skirt tetras. The mollies don't understand concepts like "abstinence" (I've since gone to all females, about 5-6 months ago, thank god the fish are finally done popping out fry), and they do poop a lot. Black Skirts because I've had no luck with them since I lost my first stock due to something that got in the water during work on the house.

However, convicts (of which I have only ever had 1) would definitely be up there. I don't want to get any every again!

LongTime
10-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Ah yes...I remember it well...It was a red snakehead that could eat anything that that wasn't twice its size. Second place goes to a female jack dempsey that had now problem demolishing other dempseys, Texas cichlids and just about anything else in my 125 gal.

dani_starr
10-05-2011, 11:42 AM
It's a tie between a melanachromatis auratis female and my current blue tetras.

The cichlid (I took as a rescue from a friend, not knowing anything about how aggressive they are when I was 14) ATE the eyes of 1 of my cory cats, and 1 eye of another, nipped their tail and fin to shreds, killed a lot of fish, injured the rest, all in less then 6 hours overnight. After treating and healing the community fish I rehomed them because no one would take the cichlid and I couldn't keep her in the bucket permantly. So she got the 29 gallon all to herself and costed my at least $200 in fish/meds. (I liked her personality though, after I forgave her for being a monster, she moved the gravel around in her mouth a lot, it was cute.)

The blue tetras I bought 8 for about $4 each, they got ich and while treating them in my QT/H tank, I used half the dosage of ich cure meds I got, watched for 2 hours and they were fine, left for the movie and got back 3 hours later, 3 were dead. Moved back to main tank (just heat treating it) and the next morning 3 more died. So now I have 2 tetras left, and I really don't want them but can't rehome cause they are my boyfriends favorite. So after everyone is well, I have to spend more money to get more of a fish I don't like.

bradlgt21
10-05-2011, 12:57 PM
My Dwarf Gouramis. I bought 3 of them when I first started out. One had ich really bad and in my rookie days I didn't QT or know what ich looked like. I felt bad for him and didn't realize he was sick. He spread the ich, I started treating but lost one of my $25 L144 long fins I just got. He died himself and I was left with 2. They faught like crazy to the point where 1 was almost died. Took the abused one to a store. Had just 1 left then he turned his agression on my german blue ram. Almost killed him so I got rid of the last gourami. Had them for like 2 months and all they did was spread disease and pick on anything that moved. I have no urge to buy another dwarf gourami.

nerdyrcdriver
10-05-2011, 4:43 PM
I would have to say, my 10g tank. Should have gone to a 20 or 29 instead. But it will be useful in the future and right now, so not a total loss.

minka-1974
10-06-2011, 5:26 PM
Like petluvr I bought some clown loaches and wish I hadn't ... the remaining one is actually quite a happy chap since I put some corys in the tank (they do play together which is weird to watch as he is three times their size!)

Makes me feel a little happier as I (now) know my tank is too small to have a group of clowns but don't want to take him back as they will just sell him to someone else saying 'oh 50 gallons is fine for a group of them'

SHWAGert
10-06-2011, 5:51 PM
jewel cichlids.......I thought it was awesome that with my first attempt at sexing them I got 2 that almost immediately paired off. Then I realized a few days later how bad of a decision that was, as they destroyed every living thing in the 55 gallon tank. They killed the other 2 cichlids (glad I started with only 4) in the tank and all of the plants. They laid claim to every single hiding place/cave in the tank, and I took special care to assure there was 3 caves per fish. If they so much as saw movement they went into kill mode. They even killed the snails

nerdyrcdriver
10-06-2011, 8:02 PM
Whoops, this is that one fish you regret, not the one thing you regret. In that case it would be a zebra danio for a tank with 2 guppies and 3 neon tetras. But he is long gone now.

Danny-O
10-07-2011, 7:00 PM
Glofish, those genetically modified Danios. Very pretty, but I always felt vaguely guilty for buying them. Anyway, the four of them succumbed to various ills that overbred fish get: curved spines, general failure to thrive, sudden unexplained death, over a period of two years. Last one died last month. And it wasn't my fishkeeping...my regular Zebra Danios in that same tank lasted about four years, past their typical life expectancy, and the black khuli loaches in the same tank have been there for five and a half years.

TheFishBoss97
10-08-2011, 12:22 AM
discus fish babies which turned out to be stunted........i checked them wrong........when purchasing and didn't look at the eyes.....instead i checked their colors:( stupid me.......but now those are gone.........i have a baby blue hi fin.........which i most likely am rehomign or keeping if i purchase more from a reliable source...........

krayz5183
10-08-2011, 6:53 PM
goldfish...lol...not my style

Alasse
10-23-2011, 2:21 AM
The only fish i have ever regretted is some blind cave fish, the bigger they got the nastier they got, horrid fish

johney66
10-23-2011, 3:51 PM
The fish I regretted getting was a small school (4) of Chinese algae eaters when I first started and before I knew any better. They were great as juveniles but as they grew they got very aggressive. I gave the largest female to my uncle which is doing very well in his 85g octagon with his parrot fish, I sold two to a fish shop and the remaining male I still have believe it or not... He is a much better fish with out the school but if I had it to do over I would have gotten Siamese algae eaters instead.