Plant to absorb nitrates?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Freezekougra

AC Members
May 17, 2009
Brooklyn NY
Was thinking of getting something to absorb nitrates...not to remove weekly water changes, but to have a healthier tank during the 6 days in between each w/c.

The problems:
-Floating plants like duckweed might block too much light
-Very little substrate so no rooted plants...I can tie them down to rocks or something though
-Plant has to be able to grow in ridiculously low lighting...0.5 and 0.7wpg(6700k bulbs I think).

Do you guys think wisteria would work?

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
java moss or java fern will work great for tying to things.

what size tank, and what size/type of light? the WPG rule is way off most of the time.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Water wisteria should work, or anacharis. You want something that grows FAST.

Freezekougra

AC Members
May 17, 2009
Brooklyn NY
One will be a 10g and one will be a 55. I just checked the one in the 10 and it is 7200k, the 55 is an eclipse f15t8...doesnt show k rating but it is a "natural daylight" bulb so I'm guessing around 6700k
both are fluorescent

Last edited:

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
I have Najas indica in multiple tanks growing under a variety of light levels. It even grows well enough in the 10 with just a standard fluorescent strip light. "Natural daylight" bulbs are usually 10,000k, plant bulbs are 6700k.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Java Fern and lots of it.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Wisteria, hornwort, anacharis, guppy grass...I find the last two to be a pain in the butt though.

Java fern, moss, or anubias would work well given the environmental constraints but they're slow growers thus don't absorb NO3 well.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
something effective or something in your tank actually?

for in the tank with no regards to what a pain removal will be once your tank is a green box... najas definitely!

to fill in a corner or back area while consuming nitrates... wisteria.

for best results in your tank... something either floating or breaking the surface to make use of co2 in the air... not only are your normal floaters good options but stem plants often do well as floaters too.

for best results... a hardy house plant that grows well, demands little and doesn't mind a bad case of "wet feet". pothos in an hob or sump filter would work very well imo.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store