PDA

View Full Version : Why do the angelfish eat the eggs?

ducatigirl
06-02-2010, 2:36 PM
They laid a heap of eggs on the filter, and 2 days later they were gone. this is first time breeding for these two. They picked off the white eggs as they went. yellow eggs are fertilised right? There were alot.
Heres a vid of them laying them.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rPzrzxJ5YZs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rPzrzxJ5YZs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

sonycrr
06-02-2010, 2:41 PM
any other fish in the tank?

ducatigirl
06-02-2010, 2:41 PM
no just those two.

sweetlowride
06-02-2010, 2:44 PM
Do you have an extra small tank you can move the eggs into? They will continue to eat the eggs unless they are seperated :)

sonycrr
06-02-2010, 3:07 PM
my angles ate the eggs when there were other fish in the tank but when i moved them to their own tank, they let the eggs hatch but then they ate the frys. =/

ducatigirl
06-02-2010, 3:20 PM
Oh!!! !!!
I may have forgotten that if I'd read it. Thought they made good parents.
Better do that in the morning for harry and missus too, if eggs still there. They laid on the filter as well! Eckys bro.
Thanks rider!

Sony, thats not meant to be funny, but it was.:D
I will do it asap. So glad you guys are here for me!
P.S thats Ecky in my profile pic, hes much more beautifully coloured now.

Ooops tried to add a recent photo, but picked Harry, and realised its ecky in my profile pic.... instead...so this is Harry.. lol ok its early morning :y220d:

jm1212
06-02-2010, 3:41 PM
Angels do make good parents and will eventually stop eating the eggs, but it may take until their third or fourth spawning. There is no need to separate them. Just give them time to adjust to being parents

FishPish
06-02-2010, 3:49 PM
There's alot of debate about why animals eat their young. No one knows whether the angelfish is making the decision to eat its eggs or whether it just doesn't know any better. I'll guess that the angelfish just didn't want babies.

texasguy
06-02-2010, 3:57 PM
they usually eat the eggs the first couple of times. you don't need to seperate them

Cerianthus
06-02-2010, 4:16 PM
As others pointed out, young immature/inexperienced parent mya eat young, especially when constantly disturbed by other fish/their keepers.

Should stop with time.

Are you certain Harry isnt Harriet? Looking at vent of enlarged Harry's pic (somewhat blur when enlarged), I question its gender.

ducatigirl
06-02-2010, 4:52 PM
As others pointed out, young immature/inexperienced parent mya eat young, especially when constantly disturbed by other fish/their keepers.

Should stop with time.

Are you certain Harry isnt Harriet? Looking at vent of enlarged Harry's pic (somewhat blur when enlarged), I question its gender.
Thats like (Miss) Spot.who used to be just Spot.

Well, harry and ecky were together for 4 months and constantly fought.

Harry got into the 5ft tank first (cos hes my fav personality), and he fought for territory. I added another 2 that were sisters i thought, cos she has teamed up with harry, but harrys female fought with the other female/sister, she teamed up with ecky but then ecky got removed to join spot and harry and female killed the sister.
If ecky is a male, so is harry. The female was watching eggs first day, harry yesterday. I'm pretty sure harrys is more a shape like a w than a tube.

There wont be any survivors in harrys tank though, too many tetras in there, plus 5 platys who eat anything.

Yes its there first breed, so I will leave them to work it out, maybe they are priming for breeding by eating the eggs as power food? Very nutritious.

Cerianthus
06-02-2010, 6:56 PM
Although I may be wrong and hope I am wrong as I want to see you experience successful spawn soon, there are other signs which led me to believe two females in action (I wish I had both fish in front of me as i can sex them with pretty high accuracy, even before spawning).

Two females are known to lay eggs but infertile (of course) and I have experienced myself such breedng behaviors b/n two females in many many occassions..

Anyway. Good luck and leave them alone as much as possible. You will have another spawn in very near future. Just conditioned them well for larger and healthier clutches.

ducatigirl
06-02-2010, 11:12 PM
Excellent info Ceri, thank you.
Are the fertile eggs yellow?
The picked off the white ones and left yellow.

KarlTh
06-03-2010, 6:42 AM
There's another reason - breeders who remove the eggs and rear them artificially. This means that fish with reduced parental instincts still produce fry, so the characteristic is inherited. In the wild, angels who make poor parents don't have surviving offspring, so the parenting behaviour is selected for. IMO, since the parenting instinct is one of the interesting things about these fish, poor parents should not have their eggs artificially reared.

ducatigirl
06-03-2010, 8:39 AM
...let nature take it's course... the main thing IMO is that they have found a compatible tank mate (since the shop told me the two same sexed koi were actually a breeding pair, LMAO), and they are happy enough to want to try and breed, the eggs are good food, so if babies are not meant to be now, or later, then its not for naught :) The best compliment you can get from your fish is profuse breeding,like my electrics, means they are happy right?
Thats the most important thing to me, babies are a bonus!

ducatigirl
06-04-2010, 2:26 PM
Although I may be wrong and hope I am wrong as I want to see you experience successful spawn soon, there are other signs which led me to believe two females in action (I wish I had both fish in front of me as i can sex them with pretty high accuracy, even before spawning).

Two females are known to lay eggs but infertile (of course) and I have experienced myself such breedng behaviors b/n two females in many many occassions..

Anyway. Good luck and leave them alone as much as possible. You will have another spawn in very near future. Just conditioned them well for larger and healthier clutches.

Heres a close up of Harry/Harriette