Bio wheel interfere with CO2?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fresh04

Go M's!!!!!
Jan 12, 2004
Bridgeport, CT
Visit site
Just a quick question. Does running a bio-wheel qualify as "surface disturbance?" Does anybody run this in a planted tank without having to run CO2 injection, etc? That is basically the only surface disturbance I have, and was just curious if this causes loss of CO2 in the tank.

emoore

AC Members
Oct 14, 2003
San Jose, CA
Visit site
If you dose with flourish excel, surface disturbance is not much of an issue since you are not putting CO2 into the water. I would NOT recommend a bio-wheel with CO2 injection. You will loose a lot of CO2 with a bio-wheel. I used to have to inject about 5 times as much CO2 when I had a bio-wheel.

emoore

AC Members
Oct 14, 2003
San Jose, CA
Visit site
With a 36 gallon, dosing with Flourish Excel can get pretty expensive in the long run. I would suggest you try DIY CO2 or a pressurized system. I would then get rid of the bio-wheel.

If you are going to stay with the Flourish, you can probably keep the bio-wheel.

jread

The Dwarf Puffer Guy
Jan 4, 2004
Austin, TX
www.jeremyread.net
I was using a Bio Wheel on my 10-gallon planted tank but have since removed it. I cut a piece of foam to fit the outflow of my power filter and now there is no surface disturbance at ALL.

Dosing with Flourish Excel at the moment but I just got a 5lb CO2 tank that I'm getting ready to setup :D

I'd also like to change to one of those small, Eheim "Ecco" canister filters. I think that the smallest one would do fine on a 10-gallon :)

Fresh04

Go M's!!!!!
Jan 12, 2004
Bridgeport, CT
Visit site
I'm thinking about a filter change. Right now I'm running a magnum 350. It's a bit of a hassle to clean, etc. So I'm thinking of a power filter. Any recommendation from fellow planters on whats good? I always hear aquaclear, but I really like Marinelands products. Just wondering what you all use and like. Thanks!

emoore

AC Members
Oct 14, 2003
San Jose, CA
Visit site
I have switched to all canister filters on my planted tanks. I have a fluval 204 on my 20 gallon and a filstar XP3 on my 55. I like the filstar (even though it is hard to get started). It it designed really well. My next filter will be an eheim canister.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store