PDA

View Full Version : Little white "wavy" stuff on glass, food?

Xclaw
11-28-2002, 4:09 PM
I have what appears to be millions of little white things on the glass of my 10 gallon. If you look closely enough they appear to be waving with the water current or something. When I rub the glass it feels slimey, I assume it's some type of algea. Is this good food for one of those glass sucker algea eatin fish? Say a twig catfish? or is this something I should remove?

Thankyou for your time

GobyGuy5
11-28-2002, 4:12 PM
I seriously doubt this could be algae, because algae need pigment in them to absorb the sun's energy (or your artifical light) so if the stuff is white it couldn't be algae (at least to my knowledge) I would guess it is a fungous or something

RTR
11-28-2002, 4:13 PM
Hydra?

ewok
11-28-2002, 4:18 PM
algae.

i get it all the time, oto's eat it. my 55 with the farlowella doesn't have it either so i assume it eats it too.

good luck

edit: you could also clean it with a scraper or glass magnet, but it comes back pretty good. i would suggest otos if you have mostly community type fish.

wetmanNY
11-28-2002, 5:18 PM
When you get a "bloom" in the population of hydra, it means that you have a rich freshwater plankton community too. Cut down on the flakes!

Xclaw
11-28-2002, 5:32 PM
thx for the replies, i'll cut down on the feedin and see if my twig catfish munches away at it.

Sum-X
11-28-2002, 5:35 PM
... snails... That's what happend to my 10 gallon when I accidently left some cubed tubifex in my tank for too long... :( They wouldn't go away untill I emptied it. If it's Hydra, cut down quickly or else, get ready to bleach out your tank... :(

DodgeIntrepidV6
11-28-2002, 6:46 PM
I just was going to ask the same post! I noticed liek white crystals on the glass that appear to be alive when the filter is on. They don't move and they are visible only up close. I bought a pl*co yesterday at petco. Seeing if it is alage which is my guess. Hopefully he'll remove it all. So is this alagae?

Swordfish
11-28-2002, 9:48 PM
I have a similar problem in my 65 gallon with a large red devil.
I've been told they bloom and feed on excess food in the tank.
Trouble is that i only feed pellets and i watch him eat every one.
He gets 6-7 large pellets twice a day and eats them heartily.
No leftovers so what are these tiny creatures feeding on?
I do weekly 25-30% water changes.

FISHGUY_CA
11-28-2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Xclaw
I have what appears to be millions of little white things on the glass of my 10 gallon. If you look closely enough they appear to be waving with the water current or something. When I rub the glass it feels slimey, I assume it's some type of algea. Is this good food for one of those glass sucker algea eatin fish? Say a twig catfish? or is this something I should remove?

Thankyou for your time

Dear Fellow Canadian :D
The white algae that is appearing your glass is caused by several things. First things first, never leave your aquarium lights on for more than 10 hours a day. What I do is turn the lights on at around 6-7 pm at night, shutting them off say at 4-5 am and allow natural sunlight to fall on the tank during the day as this allows the beneficial growth on bacterial colonies to absorb the CO2 the fish produce naturally also. White algae is not a bad thing HOWEVER if left alone it will soon become a major problem and your fish will develop parasites such as "Ick" and perhaps even gill rot if not takencare of promptly. There are ALL kinds of algae removing products on the market but I have found one that works AMAZINGLY well. Go to a site called www.algone.com. You will find the product is an all natural substance of natural plant proteins and whatnot and it is guaranteed not to harm anything in your tank and to remove all forms of algae and purify the water as well. Look at the before and after photos both of marine and freshwater thanks and trust me you will be in awe. It works VERY VERY well just as long as you don't overdo it. I have a 40 gallon with two large red bellies and I was having the same problems with the white algae and I learned from a well known breeder this is caused generally when you do a 20% weekly water change because the ph in tap water causes this to occur. He told me generally it's a good idea to clean your filter(s) after doing a water change but don't be a Mr. Clean about it as you will remove beneficial bacteria from the filter media. One other thing folks, if you use Aquaclear filtration systems NEVER EVER EVER change all the filter media (spondge,charcoal, ammonia remover) all at once as this kills ALL bacteria that grows in your tank naturally and will cause cloudy water conditions for quite some time. The best thing I have been told to do is the following...
Change the filter spondge one month prior to replacing the charcoal insert as this allows bacteria to remain on the filter media and will not harm the fish or raise the ph of your tank. When you change the carbon insert, rinse it VERY VERY thoroughly with lukewarm tap water allowing the insert to dry overnight as this will evaporate any remaining substances in the charcoal when rinsed with tap water such as chlorine and iron also. Never feed your "kids" more than they can consume entirely in 10 minutes as uneaten food is the major cause of algae growth which causes ph spikes and this will irritate your fish no matter how hardy you've been told they are. By the way for those of you that have never raised a Pirahna from a dime sized juvenile I have several pointers for you all. Pirahnas are highly overrated as being vicious maneaters because of idiots buying a small 10 gallon tank and stocking it full of red bellies to do nothing than sit there on a Friday night with a 24 of Bud blowing hoots into the Powerhead suction hose which I DO NOT think is a good idea. Hey, what's fun is fun, FOR HUMANS marijuana is not a part of any fishes diet and feeding it or blowing smoke into the tank will only cause you grief as your fish will go into shock and die on you trust me. Don't give them beer either unless you plan on buying new fish every week. Anyways, like I said before, www.algone.com is the best product I have ever used to remove all kinds of algae and maintain proper water conditions. Take it easy everyone and good luck with your "kids" so to speak. Remember this "what's fun is fun and when it's done it's done" so don't abuse your fish if you get the idea folks. Have fun and happy fishkeeping to all, bye for now ......

Best Regards To All,
FISHGUY_CA :D

Serrateeth_2002
11-28-2002, 10:36 PM
No offense FISHGUY_CA but i agree more to GobyGuy5
,besides,what does algae or hydra have anything to do with ich,natural sunlight will cause algae to grow,same as aquarium light,not sure about bacteria colonies since they thrive on ammonia which is converted to nitrites which is converted to nitrates which is taken in by plants,i hope i'm right,this is on algae,not pirahnas.:)

ewok
11-28-2002, 10:42 PM
fishguy...... i really don't know exactly what to say other than you need to slow down a bit. alot of what i'm reading on this and at least one other post is dubious at best, and bad at worst.

Xclaw
11-29-2002, 2:15 AM
Well i'm goin to seriously watch the feeding and cut back on lighting a bit and see if that helps. My newly aquired twig fish is goin to town "motoring" across the glass like it's the end of the world. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I think I'll let nature take it's course for a couple days and see what happens. Thankyou for the input and no there are NO Pirahnas in this 10 gallon it is strictly a test tank that I tested out my sand as a substratre in and have moved my corys into. :) Now they have a twig fish as a new companion if he/she acclimates well.

Thanks for your time.

DodgeIntrepidV6
11-29-2002, 5:17 PM
Anyways, is this white alagae bad. I have a pl*co now, so if 1 is not enough for a 55 I'll just get alagae removal products. If it's not a big problem, I'll let nature takes its course. What do you guys think...let the otto do his job or physically/chemically remove it?

ewok
11-29-2002, 5:55 PM
dodge: harmless, i get it my tanks with no algae eaters constantly, then i found otos. ;) my farlowellas seem to do a good job also, north haven and hamden petco had some of those in stock if you want to see a sort of weird looking fish.

the pleco *should* handle it, some are better than others tho. i'm pretty sure my common downstairs eats it too tho.

edit: skip the chemicals at all costs, i have heard rumors of some of them doing damage to fish. a small magnet cleaner will fix the problem week to week or so if you need to.

TnCgal
11-29-2002, 6:56 PM
I have taken the liberty of editing and deleting part of this thread in order to keep it informative while eliminating the flames and derogatory comments.

FISHGUY,

Please drop me an e-mail if you wouldn't mind. I am at cindywindy100@msn.com . I would like to have a word with you.

Thank you.
Cindy

wetmanNY
11-29-2002, 7:36 PM
I don't understand the concept of "white algae." Since algae photosynthesize they are all green. Even the so-called red algae (Rhosophyta produce chlorophylls-- and some other photosynthetic pigments.

If they're truly white, they just can't be living algae. If they're tiny, at the edge of visibility, stuck to the glass panes and waving minute threadlike tentacles, that sounds pretty much like Hydra.

Try a www.google.com search for "Hydra " or check at www.thekrib.com ...or at the www.skepticalaquarist.com "Invertebrates" folder.

Hydra are harmless mini-predators. They might hurt newly-hatched fish fry of the smallest sizes. but nothing larger.

Xclaw
11-29-2002, 7:48 PM
Thankyou all for the info I've come to the conclusion it's hydra and have taken the appropriate measures.

Thanks again for the help.

ewok
11-29-2002, 8:58 PM
wetman: i'll get you a pic if i can...... more likely it is a surface kind of algae and the amount is so minute you can't tell the color, so it looks white. i have seen it personally and it is some sort of growth and otos eat it, so it should be algae...... the only life or movement it has is by current running across it.

setup a 10g with a couple fish like convicts in it, overfeed it a bit then wait........... you will see exactly what i am talking about, whatever it actually is.

FISHGUY_CA
11-29-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by TnCgal
I have taken the liberty of editing and deleting part of this thread in order to keep it informative while eliminating the flames and derogatory comments.

FISHGUY,

Please drop me an e-mail if you wouldn't mind. I am at cindywindy100@msn.com . I would like to have a word with you.

Thank you.
Cindy

Dear Cindy,
I have sent you an e-mail and hope you get it because my computer is a fine piece of work it is and likes to not send e-mails. Hope to hear from you soon, take it easy and keep up the good work dealing with people like me :p Talk to you soon, bye for now ....
With Best Regards,
FISHGUY_CA

"IF IT AIN SCO'ISH, EEEET'S CRAAAAP" - Mike Myers :D

FISHGUY_CA
11-29-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by ewok
dodge: harmless, i get it my tanks with no algae eaters constantly, then i found otos. ;) my farlowellas seem to do a good job also, north haven and hamden petco had some of those in stock if you want to see a sort of weird looking fish.

the pleco *should* handle it, some are better than others tho. i'm pretty sure my common downstairs eats it too tho.

edit: skip the chemicals at all costs, i have heard rumors of some of them doing damage to fish. a small magnet cleaner will fix the problem week to week or so if you need to.

Ewok,
No hard feelings for the derogotory comments all is done and over with let's just say what's done has been done. Sorry about that it won't happen in the future you can be assured of that. Take it easy and like I said, no hard feelings I hope.

Regretfully Stupid,
FISHGUY_CA

"This is ROSCCCOOOO P COLTRANE here little fat buddy come on back now gee ooo goo" - Dukes of Hazzard :p