list the fastest and slowest growing commonly kept fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hans

I will eat your fish.
Oct 24, 2003
Gieboldehausen, DE
www.brianhanley.com
i would say
slowest growing: bala sharks, calvus, hmm, actualy thats about all i can think of right now

fastest: oscars! live bearer youths, pacu, silver dollar!

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Hybrid Sunfish :laugh: :laugh: O.K. As far as aquarium fish, I would have to say Oscars, TF barbs, or maybe Tiger shovelnose. Slowest growing, I don't really know, but I have had some blue gourami's that never seemed to change size in less than a couple of years.

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
fastest growing feeder goldfish
slowest clown loaches

meangene714

AC Members
Feb 27, 2004
SoCal
Visit site
Fastest: peacock bass, may not be a commonly kept aquarium fish, but several LFS around me stock them, and I've sucessfully kept them.
Slowest: hillstream loach (butterfly loach), I've had mine for 2 months now and I've never even seen them eat. I've heard that they are not, in fact algae eaters, and if they were, I don't even have any algae in my tank.

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
I've had a bristlenose pleco that's grown a 1/4 inch in over one year. He's on my list of slow.

Lila;)

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
why dont places sell native american fish? are they too ugly?
As a rule, most places you go in the world (with a few exceptions) You won't see native fish in the aquarium hobby. I don't know why but that just seems to be the way of it Some American fish are absolutely georgeous, but most that I have kept are far to big and messy for my tanks. The channel cat is a good example, and probably one of the few you will see in pet stores. I have kept Bluegill bass, catfish. and even minnows and chubs. Not much color, mean fish, and most except for minnows and chubs get too big. I've always thought it would be fun to try Golden or Blue shiners since they get pretty and don't get too big.

dwf73

Gold Dragon
Oct 29, 2003
brooklyn, NY
Visit site
Perhaps because the market demand is overwhelmingly in favor of tropical fish as opposed to coldwater, LFS' do not wish to stock as many "American" fish, since most regions in the US are not tropical (are any? dont know my US geography- Slipknottin, what are the US southern latitudes)??? Just an idea anyway...maybe a bit far fetched

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store