Bloodworms vs Mosquito Larvae?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nuts4fish

AC Members
Sep 28, 2004
Winnipeg, Mb.
What is the diference between bloodworms and mosquito larvae? Are they the same, just coloring difference because of their food source? Which has a higher nutritional value for a community tank, Angels and loaches?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Bloodworms are a worm, while mosquito larvae are just that--the larval stage of a mosquito. In terms of nutrition, I think blood worms have slightly more protien. Rather than going with either/or, I'd use a mix, alternating as you run out of one. The variety will be better for the fish. Are you looking at frozen, freeze dried, or fresh?

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Not all--the cultured live blood worms are an aquatic worm--I thought. At least, they multiplied and never metamorphed into a fly...Hmmm. Guess I've never paid that much attention to the frozen ones, since I don't feed them often anymore.

Tim Bo

Does fuzzy logic tickle?
Apr 11, 1999
Copenhagen, Denmark
hjem.get2net.dk
Although I'm fairly sure the protein % is higher in bloodworms, I don't feed the wigglers very often - have had a couple bad experiences with disease. Live mosquito larvae have never given me problems.

OrionGirl said:
Not all--the cultured live blood worms are an aquatic worm--I thought. At least, they multiplied and never metamorphed into a fly...Hmmm. Guess I've never paid that much attention to the frozen ones, since I don't feed them often anymore.
Nah they are midge larvae, you might be thinking of tubifex worms(they might be larve too though).

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I think it partially depends on the fish as to which is more healthy for it. Mosquito larvae is possibly the best food you can feed your rainbowfish because it resembles their natural diet. However both bloodworms and larvae are quality foods I'd say. Anything alive or was once alive is usually good.

San Francisco Bay Frozen White Mosquito Larvae (glassworms)

Crude Protein Min 5.40%
Crude Fat Min 1.10%
Crude Fiber Max 1.00%
Moisture Max 93.00%
Dry Protein 77%

vs. San Francisco Bay Frozen Bloodworms

Crude Protein Min 4.50%
Crude Fat Min 0.20%
Crude Fiber Max 0.70%
Moisture Max 95.00%
Dry Protein 90.00%

Tim Bo

Does fuzzy logic tickle?
Apr 11, 1999
Copenhagen, Denmark
hjem.get2net.dk
Captain Hook said:
I think it partially depends on the fish as to which is more healthy for it. Mosquito larvae is possibly the best food you can feed your rainbowfish because it resembles their natural diet. However both bloodworms and larvae are quality foods I'd say. Anything alive or was once alive is usually good.

San Francisco Bay Frozen White Mosquito Larvae (glassworms)

Crude Protein Min 5.40%
Crude Fat Min 1.10%
Crude Fiber Max 1.00%
Moisture Max 93.00%
Dry Protein 77%

vs. San Francisco Bay Frozen Bloodworms

Crude Protein Min 4.50%
Crude Fat Min 0.20%
Crude Fiber Max 0.70%
Moisture Max 95.00%
Dry Protein 90.00%

i'm suprised at the nutritional value of mosquito larvae - figured they would be much lower that blood worms, especially in terms of crude fiber. I guess my fish are lucky to have such a considerate caregiver like me! I definitely agree on the importance of live foods being beneficial to fish that find them in their natural habitat i.e. guppies and gouramis.

I do wonder how the above mentioned nutritional data varies throughout the natural world.

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
There are two critters that are given the name of bloodworm. One is the midge larvae that most of us feed our fish in a frozen form. The other is an actual marine worm that is often used for bait. So no one is wrong here since there are actually two seperate species with the common name of bloodworm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store