what else can I put with goldfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

99SH

AC Members
Jan 1, 2003
Lk. Hiawatha, NJ
My girlfriend has a 29 gallon tank with a goldfish, a big one. I think it's a comet, around 5 or 6 inches. It also has 3 cichlids, but I'm getting rid of them tomorrow. She want's to keep the goldfish, but I don't know of any other fish I can put in there. Any ideas? I've heard that a big goldfish should have 30 gallons to himself, so is there anything else I can put in there? The water temp is around 70, ph around 7.6. Thanks.

val

Oct 18, 2002
Eastern Shore, Maryland
A single fish in a 29g tank is kind of boring to look at, but I have a pair of 20g tanks each with 3 GF. I have good filtration, I do not overfeed, I use a bubble wand (which increases surface agitation) and mine have done quite well. I've heard the 30g rule for GF, and I find that a little extreme. 10 years ago in the pages of Aquarium Fish Magazine, Steven Meyer, who does their ponds and GF columns, was recommending 15 - 20 gallons per GF, and since then, the number has been rising steadily. I wouldn't be surprised if that number reached 40g soon. And this as filtration has gotten better and cheaper over the past decade. I'd think you could add a pair of any other fantail variety that has a dorsal (top) fin: moor, oranda, redcap. This would make an interesting counterpoint to what you have now.

If you have any specific questions about food/filtration, drop me a line...

Val

Darkangel

AC Members
Nov 16, 2002
Oshawa, ON, Canada
Sorry Val I have to really disagree with you on this one. While GF will live in smaller containers I do not believe they grow as well or live nearly as long under those conditions. No matter how good filtration is it is still limited and not able to remove some stuff from the water. For instance filters will not remove hormones or phereomones unless you are constantly changing carbon. These chemicals will affect both fish growth and behavior. You also must take into account the body mass of a good size goldfish. My three Ryukins are each over 4 inches long not including the tail. I bet that each one of these GF is equal in weight and bio out put to 100 neon tetras. would you put 200 neons in a 29 gallon tank? This is what you are suggesting bio wise with your recomendation. My three live in a 65 in the winter and a 300 gallon pond in the summer. I suspect they will get anywhere from 75 to 100% bigger in the next few years. Those numbers of gallons are for the best growth and development of the GF. These fish should live for at least 20 years, likely a lot longer. A 29 gallon tank is okay for two smaller GF for a while but not once they mature. This is all my opinion and yours obviously differs but I thought it would be good for 99SH to hear more ideas and opinions.

TJcanada

AC Members
Sorry Val but I tend to agree with Darkangel... Doesn't matter what Steve M has recommended in the past... fact is goldfish are carp - carp grow big and are messy fish - this should be a big consdieration when purchasing them. There are lots of stories around about people keeping goldies in small tanks and those fish living for years...but have you seen those fish - they are stunted - possibly healthy other wize - but as Dark mentions they don't live to their full potential. Fancies or common - more water and ample filtration is best for them in the long run - you'd be surprised how lovely they can be if given the proper conditions for growth.

Just my thoughts, TJ

Darkangel

AC Members
Nov 16, 2002
Oshawa, ON, Canada
There are lots of cool water fish you could put in this tank. White clouds, bitterlings, sticklebacks, rosey reds, paradise fish, and weather loaches to name a few. The above points though were to say in this particular tank none would be advisible. There is already a 6 inch fish in this tank which has the potential to reach upwards of 16 inches or so. That is way to much fish in a tank that is only 12 inches wide.

Frank_Carr

AC Members
Jan 13, 2003
Atlanta, GA, USA
Visit site
I have 3 4-6" goldfish in a 29 gallon tank but to keep the tank in good shape is a lot of work. Filtration is provided by an Emporer 400 power filter and a UGF with a Penguin 660R powerhead (reverse flow). I also do 10-20% water changes every 5-7 days. Even with this, I expect to buy a 55 gal (or better) tank for these guys by the end of the year.

So, my suggestion would be first not to add any other fish unless you're planning to get a bigger tank. You might get away with 1 more goldfish in the tank if you can filter it heavily and perform regular maintanance. I know it can be hard not to get more, particularly if your significant other wants them, but at least put up a little resistance.

I'd avoid any other fish species in the tank. Tropicals and goldfish don't go together and most other cold water tolerant species aren't a good match either. I'd say particularly avoid plecos since they'll tend to develop the habit of sucking the slime coating off of larger goldfish, thus injuring the fish. LFS's often recommend mixing the two but it's a recipe for a hurt or dead goldfish eventually.

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
Re: violet goby "dragon fish"

Originally posted by fish dude
http://www.****************/catalog_pages/wild/dragon_fish.htm#top2

checkthis out its says its fine with large gols...good luck.
awasome fish
NOT a good idea. They're brackish fish. Besides, goldies are greedy. A dragonfish would starve to death in a tank with a 6" comet.

I know, I've tried to keep dragonfish before, and they're a lot pickier about their environment than this link makes them out to be....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store