do mystery snails eat each other? (also shrimp question)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

anark

AC Members
Oct 21, 2004
Toronto Ontario
i have a blue mystery snail and a smaller black mystery snail that likes to crawl over each other. mating or fighting?

will blue rams or a male betta attack shrimp?

thanks!
Allan

Jason01

AC Members
Dec 9, 2004
Clermont, IA
Don't Know about the snails, I could care less if mine fight(I have a gazillion of them). However, the shrimp. I have 2 species in my planted tank, and my betta leaves them alone. Can't say that about the rams though. I don't know.

anark

AC Members
Oct 21, 2004
Toronto Ontario
lol...i only have 3. 2 black and 1 blue. my blue guy is about 2 inches in diameter so i don't want him to get aggresive and have to seperate him.

thanks for the info about the betta and shrimp.

Allan!

anark

AC Members
Oct 21, 2004
Toronto Ontario
like...one guy is wrapped around the other's shell...and looks like his head is inside the other's shell...and the other guy (the one being attacked) has his body all the way out...not defending or anything!

...getting eaten?...or nasty mating?

edit:

no wait. looks like the attacking snail has his head inside his own shell. what the heck is happening?

Allan!

Last edited:

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Take a look at their operculums (the little trapdoor they use to close up their shell) - males have convex operculums, females are concave. With apple snails, it takes two to tango (unlike many other types of snail). They might be breeding, that seems most likely to me. Check out this site for all sorts of apple snail info :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store