Sand and Plecos...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Skippy

Grand Poobah of Fun
Aug 22, 2000
Dallas, TX
web.of.slacking.net
Do plecos do well with sand substrate?

I have a large tank I'm getting ready to redo the substrate in and sand has been an option I'm debating. I have a common plec, a rubber nose, and a bristle nose currently and one or more of them could end up in there if it suits them well.

I'm just wondering how well pleco's do or dont like the sand versus the gravel substrates like most of my tanks have. (or gravel/flourite)

yannfulliquet

Hypancistrus Lover
Aug 23, 2002
Hi!
Well sand is a good choice! It is pretty natural. If you don't have a setup with strong flow/current well that is a good choice other wise if you are setting up a river Xingu like tank with a lot of powerhead to make a good and heavy water flow inside yoour tank, well thin gravel would be a better choice as it will avoid ( a bit more but surely not completly) to be taken away by the current/flow!!!
Cheers
Yann

punch

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Petaluma, CA
Yann, Its good to have you back! I know a couple of people around here missed you:D

yannfulliquet

Hypancistrus Lover
Aug 23, 2002
Hi!
Thanks a lot!
Glad to be back here as well!
I was pretty busy lately and could hardly find time to come on the net. Barely have time to read my mail.
I am still busy but manage to organize myself better so I got a little spare time that I can use by coming here;)

The new forum is coll but it is too bad that They have not kept some of the old post!
Cheers
Yann

kuhliloach

NannerPuss
Dec 4, 2006
i thought pleco's would consume the sand and choke thinking it's algae.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
that makes sense. tell me, how would they live in the wild if the first thing they did as soon as they hatched out was go choke on some sand?

Malefic23

AC Members
Nov 7, 2006
Charlotte NC
Plecos and sand do quite well together. Common plecos might eat a bit of it, but it'll move their digestion along and help weight down the waste so it's easier to vac. Some of the other species actually enjoy diggin in sand. I had a 8 inch vampire I called "Ditch witch" because he would carve trenches to travel in.

There are some good threads to search here on how to clean your sand so you only get heavier particles. Avoids water cloud, and you can have lots of sideways current via powerheads, which will double your pleco's pleasure in life.

I want pics when you're set up!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store