Upside down goldfish??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tinkerbell0183

Registered Member
Feb 10, 2005
I have a question that many people commonly ask me about their goldfish. Why is my goldfish floating upside down? They're still alive, they just are floating upside down and then swim back to normal. My sister used to have about 5 fancy goldfish (some were calico, ryukin, oranda, etc.) She just has 1 right now. I'm just curious what makes them do this? Is it normal? Is it a sign of something? I'm just curious.... as I'm trying to learn about fish. I unfortionately work at PetsMart and whenever I don't know something I come here. I also do animal research in my spare time because it's fun. Yeah by the way if you ever think about working for petsmart, reconsider. You most likely won't get paid enough for what you put up with. If you would like to know more about this happy little topic you can email me : tinkerbell012604@yahoo.com, you can AIM me : tinkerbell012604 and it is the same for yahoo messenger. Hope everyone has a great week.

NFR-22467-A

AC Members
Feb 27, 2005
Laurel, DE
ive heard things about swim bladder problems.... not really sure what it is, but my dad has a goldfish who has had this problem for years, and no matter what we try we cant fix it.... hell hang sideways or upside down for a long time, and well think hes dead, but we find thats hes perfectly healthy- has been like that for years, but he still loves eating and hanging out with his other goldfish pal in the tank....

fantail

AC Members
Sep 22, 2004
scotland
swimbladder problems are usually caused by gas build up in the intestines. Its a problem for the shortbodied rounded fancy gf as the intestines are crowded and the swimbladder is squashed into a smaller cavity. It can happen when they are fed dry flake food as this has the fish eating from the top causing the fish to take in air as well. also, dried food reacts with the gut causing gas to build so the fish is turned over or cant get off the gravel. the best thing to do is starve the fish for a couple of days and feed some peas that have been boiled and squashed to remove the shell. This clears the intestines of gas and helps restore the normal bacteria in the gut. usually fish prone to this shouldnt be fed flakes again and can be fed with a home made gel food or sinking pellets.

other reasons for sbd include high nitrate levels in the water and also deformities of the swim bladder and bacterial diseases. HTH

tinkerbell0183

Registered Member
Feb 10, 2005
fantail said:
swimbladder problems are usually caused by gas build up in the intestines. Its a problem for the shortbodied rounded fancy gf as the intestines are crowded and the swimbladder is squashed into a smaller cavity. It can happen when they are fed dry flake food as this has the fish eating from the top causing the fish to take in air as well. also, dried food reacts with the gut causing gas to build so the fish is turned over or cant get off the gravel. the best thing to do is starve the fish for a couple of days and feed some peas that have been boiled and squashed to remove the shell. This clears the intestines of gas and helps restore the normal bacteria in the gut. usually fish prone to this shouldnt be fed flakes again and can be fed with a home made gel food or sinking pellets.

other reasons for sbd include high nitrate levels in the water and also deformities of the swim bladder and bacterial diseases. HTH
Thank you so much! I've been curious about this for quite some time and wow you are just chock full of knowledge huh? =D Thanks for your reply. Definately taught me something new today.

NFR-22467-A

AC Members
Feb 27, 2005
Laurel, DE
good deal, ill have to go let my dad know that, thanks for the info

nvan2

AC Members
Mar 1, 2005
Maybe he just likes it better upside down.. Its not like fish really have all that much stuff to do :p

RanchuRick

Go Flames Go
Feb 19, 2005
One of my gold fish sleeps upside down. I discovered that at 2am one night. He was just floating motionless, upside down. I thought he was dead. A slight tab on the class brought him back to life.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store