How do you keep shrimp in the tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pl*co

Feeds low on the food chain
Jul 18, 2004
Michigan
What are best practices to make certain ghost shrimp stay in the tank? I have a 10 gallon with 6 ghost shrimp. They are difficult to keep track of, so I want to make sure they stay in the tank, don't end up in the filter by crawling up the outside of the intake or right out of the tank via an air line or the heater hole in the hood or something. Do any of you cover up all the holes in the hood? How do you deal with the filter? Am I worrying too much?. Thanks.

Last edited:

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
I just leave my ghost shrimp to their own devices. They are breeding as I now have several 1/2 inch shrimp zooming around the tank. I would think they have little chance of getting sucked up the filter intake unless they are really small. I also haven't had any climb out the tank.

pl*co

Jul 18, 2004
Michigan
Thank you reiverix that help ease my concern some. I could keep the water level a bit lower and that would help too, I'm sure. Now I'm mostly concerned about them climbing in the filter, such as a snail might be apt to do. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
They won't go into the filter itseld, but will hang around it because they will learn that food gets sucked toward there.

They can't climb out of the water, and once out of the water, they are totally helpless. There is no shrimp that I know of that is adept at walking on land, either.

pl*co

Jul 18, 2004
Michigan
thanks oddball. Now that you mention it, when I was putting them in the tank, one of them got stuck to the side of the cup I was using. They seem to go a bit flat when not in water. OK! That should do it then. All fears are quelled. Thanks! (uh oh... what if they jump out?.. just kidding).

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Anyone who has kept Amanos knows that they are not at all helpless on land. They walk out of tanks routinely. When you are tring to transfer then from one tank to another, they will run - not walk - up the net handle and up your arm. Ghost do seem weaker out of water.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Amanos are fast little guys, I have my 14g well covered because I've read several times that they're escape artists and good jumpers, some people come home to find them halfway across the room :eek:
Ghost shrimp don't seem so inclined to leave the tank. I recently bought a few for my 1g, after reading that they're a good choice for open tanks.
I cover my filter intakes with sponges to prevent snails and shrimp from getting injured, and nearly always have a shrimp or two hanging out on the sponge - they're smart little creatures, it only took them a few hours to figure out the sponge was a good source of food :)

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
It seems blinky also has had experience with the lazy and smart ghost shrimp!

pl*co

Jul 18, 2004
Michigan
Thanks RTR, Blinky. All good info. Well, one Ghost shrimp did jump out of the cup as I was tipping it into the tank, which surprised me. There must have been about a tablespoon of water in the cup at the time. I didn't want to get the little guys tangled up in a net. Thankfully though, he landed in the tank. I think it will be ok now that they're all in the tank and I'll keep in mind what you said about Amanos. Thanks!

Veneer

AC Members
Dec 20, 2004
Oddball~ said:
They can't climb out of the water, and once out of the water, they are totally helpless. There is no shrimp that I know of that is adept at walking on land, either.
Terrestrial shrimps or hallucinating ecologists?

by Sukhmani Kaur Mantel

Returning from an evening of fieldwork on a warm September night, I stopped short; there in front of me was a Macrobrachium shrimp walking over a footbridge that crosses a tributary of Tai Shing Stream in Shing Mun Country Park! It had apparently climbed a 50 cm precipice to get there. The ground was completely dry and the shrimp was facing upstream as I came across it. Startled by my close scrutiny of it with my headlamp, it turned around and scuttled into a "safer" position on a lower ledge of the footbridge. It waved its chelae around a bit and then after about two minutes it suddenly walked across the ledge, jumped headlong into the water and disappeared downstream. I wondered if these were the ramblings of a deranged individual or a phenomenon so rare that I had not come across it in my year and a half of night observations?

After talking to my co-workers, I learned that two other ecologists (Sze-man Cheung and Rita Yam) have observed similar behavior for two species of freshwater shrimps, Macrobrachium hainanense and Caridina cantonensis, in other streams. Strangely enough, Rita has witnessed a Macrobrachium in a tree!

I have always assumed that many decapod crustaceans were capable of climbing over waterfalls since diadromous crustaceans migrate from the sea to freshwaters. A quick literature search confirmed that some shrimps are positively rheotactic and they migrate upstream by navigating through flowing water or in the splash zone to get over natural or artificial obstacles (Lee & Fielder, 1979; Fiévet, 1999). I am, however, unaware of any reports of shrimps walking completely outside of water and, especially, climbing trees. Since I don’t know how often this event occurs or, more importantly, WHY, I am requesting any readers who have come across this behaviour in person or in literature to contact skmantel@hkusua.hku.hk with any comments. Oh, and next time you go strolling by a stream, be wary of where you step.
From http://www.hku.hk/ecology/porcupine/por24/24-invert.htm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store