snakehead fish??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bluewillow

AC Members
Feb 22, 2005
hiya peeps,

just wondering were i can find out more about snakehead fish ,i already have two a african and a chinies one. i know these are predtory fish so not a prob.

they eat live food right now and bllodworm blocks.

so anymore info would be great,tar.. :read:

ashdavid

In Search Of Better Water Quality
Mar 27, 2005
Japan
Most of them get to be pretty big, like the red snake head which can get over 1m in length. They like big tanks and are usually a solitary fish. They can do some pretty bad damage to fish there own size as well. They will eat just about anything that fits into their mouths, including a 10 inch texas tank mate, but will eat bigger fish than that. Other than that what else do you want to know?

ashdavid

Mar 27, 2005
Japan
Are you talking about the US? I heard they over run a really big lake somewhere in the states, and I forgot to mention they can live out of water for a day or two.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Yeah, they are illegal in some states in the US. Make sure they are legal where you live.... fines can be quite hefty.

ashdavid

Mar 27, 2005
Japan
Japan is fine, actually I have not come across a fish that is illegal yet. It must be because all of Japan has a very cold winter.

bluewillow

AC Members
Feb 22, 2005
snakehead

hiya peeps,

im ok as im in the uk :clap: . dont think there quite illigal yet :huh: .
i know in america there being introduce into the local streams and rivers which is causing a magor prob for local fish and wildlife.

does anyone else keep these fish and have you piccies of your as id love to see,my two are now about 16inh ling so gettiing there in size ,there eating is very fast and gone within minites.

anymore info would be great on these guys,how do you sex them??.. :idea:

ashdavid

Mar 27, 2005
Japan
How big is your tank? I hope you have a secure lid as well.You are still feeding a 16 inch fish bloodworms?? You could feed it pieces of fish, beefheart,whole shrimp and live feeders.

bluewillow

AC Members
Feb 22, 2005
snakehead

oh they on live food small fish and other meaty morsals, :thm:

i must say i do like to watch them while they feed very predotory and fast..
but would never want to get my hands in there :hang:

anyone with piccies of theres :confused:

bluewillow

AC Members
Feb 22, 2005
snakehead

oh just one more thing about snakeheads, how and if there is a way to tell the females from the males :help: :confused: :confused:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store