MelaFix for Ich?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

travelinman1969

AC Members
Oct 23, 2003
Lost Nation, IA
Visit site
Does MelaFix work for ich? I've never used it for that, I hate to drive 45 miles for nothing. I"ve already bumped the temp up and added salt, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
How long have you been treating that way? Melafix can be good, but I don't believe it will do much for ich

travelinman1969

AC Members
Oct 23, 2003
Lost Nation, IA
Visit site
I just started the treatment yesterday. I usually use Jungle labs or Mardel Ich meds, but I have to drive 45 minutes to get it. I've never used MelaFix for it and was just wondering if it works for it. Looks like I'll have to take a drive. :rant2:

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
No Melafix won't work as far as I know. Stick with the higher temp (86F) and salt dose of 1 tsp per gallon (make sure it is NaCl). It takes more than a day to cure ich so don't worry that you see no response just yet. In fact keeping the treatment up for 3 weeks is the best way to make sure you get no repeat ich in the tank.

jaylin

Don't ask if you don't want to know
Aug 14, 2005
Denver-ish Colorado.
I think melafix claims it's good for parasites, but I'd stick with a salt treatment for ich. Melafix is really good for fin rot and war wounds. I've never used it for ich, but I have used salt. And I know salt works.

travelinman1969

AC Members
Oct 23, 2003
Lost Nation, IA
Visit site
Thanks, I just added some Ich meds (Man, have prices gone up) too, just got back. I'm gonna keep up the process for the next few weeks and we'll get rid of it. Thanks for the input, really just wandered about MeleFix for Ich, I didn't think it would do anything.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
No, it has no effect.

Also, save money. Just use plain heat and salt. It's 100% effective, the most cost effective, the least stressful, and the easiest on you:) Mixing meds and heat and salt can creat a toxic soup for your fish; I'd definitely avoid that.

zazz

AC Members
Mar 29, 2005
Melafix is great IMO but it does NOTHING for ICH, as everyone already said. Also,
Jaylin, just fyi It doesnt claim to be for parasites at all.
This will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about ich and the heat and salt treatment:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39759

I am currently using it for the first time. it took 8 or 9 days before the Ich
"disappeared". I was impatient, but it Did work! and I am glad I didnt have to use any medications.

randyme

Registered Member
Oct 18, 2011
Temp & Salt Beware Dead Fish

No Melafix won't work as far as I know. Stick with the higher temp (86F) and salt dose of 1 tsp per gallon (make sure it is NaCl). It takes more than a day to cure ich so don't worry that you see no response just yet. In fact keeping the treatment up for 3 weeks is the best way to make sure you get no repeat ich in the tank.

I have seen a lot of posts on the net spewing salt and temp for treating ich. Since I was looking for a natural cure for ich I thought I would give it a try... why not, it sounded logical.

I raised the temp from 79 to 84 over a four hour period and then added aquarium salt at a rate of 1 tsp per gallon. I started with 1/4 teaspoon per gallon and then added another 1/4 teaspoon per gallon 1 hour later.

By the third hour when I was going to add the third 1/4 teaspoon per gallon I had noticed that my fish were extremely lethargic so I discontinued adding salt but left the temp at 84.

As time went along the fish were getting worse, so I started water changes and as the salted water was replaced with fresh water they started livening up. I changed out the water over several hours and eneded up loosing two Balas and almost a third and lost 5 tetras. The Balas under their throat were burned.

After thinking about it, duh, fresh water fish do not live in salt water, heck they don't even live in brakish water. Could it be that fresh water fish are concidered fresh water fish because they live in fresh water?

EBJD

AC Members
Oct 11, 2011
I have seen a lot of posts on the net spewing salt and temp for treating ich. Since I was looking for a natural cure for ich I thought I would give it a try... why not, it sounded logical.

I raised the temp from 79 to 84 over a four hour period and then added aquarium salt at a rate of 1 tsp per gallon. I started with 1/4 teaspoon per gallon and then added another 1/4 teaspoon per gallon 1 hour later.

By the third hour when I was going to add the third 1/4 teaspoon per gallon I had noticed that my fish were extremely lethargic so I discontinued adding salt but left the temp at 84.

As time went along the fish were getting worse, so I started water changes and as the salted water was replaced with fresh water they started livening up. I changed out the water over several hours and eneded up loosing two Balas and almost a third and lost 5 tetras. The Balas under their throat were burned.

After thinking about it, duh, fresh water fish do not live in salt water, heck they don't even live in brakish water. Could it be that fresh water fish are concidered fresh water fish because they live in fresh water?

hmm i think ur problem was, did u increase oxygen in the tank? add an airstone or powerhead? heat dissipates the oxygen..

heat and salt DOES cure ich and fast! but i always keep the treatment up for a minimum of 10 days after i see no spots

edit: just realized this guy is a troll digging up old posts, sorry for bumping it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store