best way to remove aquarium film on glass?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dom418

AC Members
Aug 21, 2002
IL.
community.webshots.com
Every couple of months or so I notice a white filmy build up on the inside glass of my tank. What is the easiest way to clean this? And what might it be?

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
i would suggest a magnet scraper, the floating kind is even better. i just chalk it off as "normal" algae and debri build up and usually only notice it if the water levels get low.

O-man21

30 FW, 6 SW, 2.5 SW
Dec 3, 2002
Des Moines, IA
If it's a glass tank and it's hard to get off, then use a strait razor,( watch out for fish) but if acrylic, then DO NOT use it or you will scratch the acrylic. Otherwise use a normal scraper they said to use

christopher1260

Expert Novice
Nov 2, 2002
Athens, OH
community.webshots.com
i have found that on a GLASS aquarium, you can use a sponge with the nylon netting around it (3m or somebody calls them "the doobie" funny, huh?) it does take a little elbow grease, though. i don't like to use a straight razor because it's hard to clean near the silicone without damaging it.

somefinnfishy

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
www.freewebs.com
Razor tip

dont use the blade more than once as the blade edge will rust even if not seen will cause damage:)
On a empty tank or around the rim and outside glass vinegar works like a charm.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
lipids and proteins from uneaten food, fish waste, etc.

doing larger more frequent water changes should prevent, or at least slow down, the film growth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store