How long before bronze corys get to adult size?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tuvok

AC Members
Dec 16, 2004
I have had a group of 6 bronze corydoras for over a year and while they appear healthy none of them seem to have grown much larger than when they were first introduced to my aquarium. They are all at least an inch shy of their potential 3" maximum size. Does anyone know how long it takes for these fish to reach their full size?

mandimoron

raving platy fangirl
Oct 2, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
perturbedmango.net
Just a stab in the dark, but... Aren't male corydoras usually smaller than their female counterparts? Maybe you have a school of boys-- a frat, if you will. In which case, perhaps they'd like some togas? >_>

PeeJay

AC Members
Mar 2, 2005
Toronto
I have one male and one female in my tank. While the female is a bit bigger (rounder and more full-bodied), compared to the male, she's not that much bigger. Both are identical in length. I've had both my cories for almost a year now and seem very healthy (keeps laying eggs). However, my cories are also about 2 inches in length and I too am curious to see if they get any bigger than this.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
My cories are over 3 years old now and they are still around 2 inches. I have not seen a bronze at 3 inches before. My babies are getting to around an inch now and they are about 8 months old now.

kyle3

AC Members
Mar 17, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
most cory species stay about 2 inches.

I have seen some lately that get huge in comparisson.

However, there is also a fish that is often mistaken for a bronze cory, in fact bronze cory is one of it's common names, scientifically known as Brochis splendens they are actually not a cory and get to 3". I bought some of these as juvenilles from a store that called them aneaus corys(which i bet is what you have) so perhaps you got them from a dealer who didn't realize the difference. apparently this happens a lot.

when mine started exceeding the size i expected i got worried- hadn't planed on them for my bioload. i found all this out then.

i had to trade them in- which i was sad about b/c they had great little personalities- i liked them a lot.

cheers -Kyle

tuvok

AC Members
Dec 16, 2004
Your replies have been very informative. I have to say that I have also never seen a Bronze Cory that was 3". With all that said though 3" is the claimed adult size on many websites that deal with catfish including the following:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/callicht/corydora/51_F.PHP

I wonder if the reality is sommething more like 3" specimens have been observed but they do not generally get that large in aquaria.

Flowerhorn916

AC Members
Dec 27, 2005
Sacramento, Ca
A lfs by me is selling a mated pair of bronze corys for 60.00 both are 3" long so they do get that big. How old are they? I have no clue.

gabrielandco.

Look into my eyes...
Oct 31, 2005
i am not sure what kind mine were, and they were already large when i bough them, so i also have no idea how old. anyway, they weren't quite 3", but they were "deep" or hunched from dorsal to ventral side.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store