Do you really need a carbon cartridge in your filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zmazza

nano r33f 4 u
Feb 21, 2006
Do you really need a carbon cartridge? Shouldn't the bacteria in the tank take care of that problem? Shouldn't you just need mechanical and bio media?

stevieg

AC Members
Jan 21, 2006
Carbon cartridges only last for a short time removing organics and some metals. However carbon is a good substrate for your biological filter which is the real workhorse of the filtration system. Understanding how filtration works and how to maintain a healthy biological filter is key to success with fish keeping. Learn how to do this and you will be rewarded 100x. Good luck and best wishes.

Stevvieg

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
Don't use it. Don't need it. If I had meds to remove I might. There are much better filtration media out there to use to colonize bateria than carbon.

gagaliya

GNOME POWER!
Nov 20, 2005
NJ
www.happyreward.com
so are you guys saying it's better to replace the carbon filter bag within aquaclear filters with another bio stone bag? so instead of:

mechanical (sponge) ->chemical (carbon) -> biological (bio stone)

in aquaclear 3 stage, it's better (or rather equally good) to have:

mechanical (sponge) ->biological (bio stone) -> biological (bio stone)

?

mainer

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
im also wondering about this as i have a whisper 10 on my tank right now with a bio bag thats been in there for a month. Im thinking i should just get rid of the carbon inside the bag. I already stuck some extra foam in behind the bag to help with bacteria after i partially lost my bio filter last weekend. Plus i have a new aqua clear 30 on the way and i need to know how to transition to the bigger better filter??

zave2340

WWW - Wondrful Water World
Jan 31, 2005
Elmvale
i have ALWAYS used a little carbon in my fitlers. It is not made for bactiera growth as some have siad. it is almost like doing a chemical teatment on your water.

I do have a aquaclear filter on my 10 gallon goldfish tank. I run two sponges and 1 section of filter floss. I find it works GREAt, i change the filter floss once a week since the stuff is so cheap. and the sponges get a good bactiera culture going.

In my 30 gallon community tank i have a Hydro Bravo filter running. The hydor filters have a small basket on the front of them for whatever media you want to place in there as a extra bonus to what is already in the filter. Once a week i replace the carbon that i ahve put in there, it is so easy to take in and out and to change. It is great. I ahve always used carbon in my fitler and from what i see, it does not hurt.

I know some people say that activated carbon will leech stuff BACK into your tank, BUT, this would not happen over a long pieord of time. If you left your carbon back in for a month or more. I change mine after a week. AND becuase my filter is nicely designed, i can take it out easy if i need to add meds.

Anyway, those are my two cents. :coffee2:

zave2340

WWW - Wondrful Water World
Jan 31, 2005
Elmvale
mainer said:
............... Plus i have a new aqua clear 30 on the way and i need to know how to transition to the bigger better filter??

Run the new filter on the tank at the same time as the old filter, this will help establiah a bactiera culture in the new filter.

YuccaPatrol

Over-filtered
Oct 17, 2004
gagaliya said:
so are you guys saying it's better to replace the carbon filter bag within aquaclear filters with another bio stone bag? so instead of:

mechanical (sponge) ->chemical (carbon) -> biological (bio stone)

in aquaclear 3 stage, it's better (or rather equally good) to have:

mechanical (sponge) ->biological (bio stone) -> biological (bio stone)

?
I have mine set up this way:

Mechanical sponge > thin layer of Fine filter floss (more mechanical) >biomax stones and additional Seachem Matrix biological media

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store