what do bloodworms eat?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

monkey_toes

"Maybe it's a hybrid"
Feb 7, 2006
Southwest Florida
My fish (especially my cory cats) love live bloodworms. I can only get them at one store locally, but the owner is moving the shop and he'll be down for 2-3 months. I bought a pound of live bloodworms and I'm keeping them in perforated-top containers in the fridge. I've had no problem keeping smaller quantities this way for a week or so, but to keep these alive for a couple months I'm guessing they'll need to be fed. Any idea what they eat?

rrkss

Biology is Fun
Dec 2, 2005
Bloodworms are mosquito larvae, if left alive they will grow into mosquitoes which will not be fun. I'd just buy them freeze dried, I am sure your fish will love them in the freeze dried state also.

suby7272

AC Members
Feb 2, 2005
rrkss said:
Bloodworms are mosquito larvae, if left alive they will grow into mosquitoes which will not be fun. I'd just buy them freeze dried, I am sure your fish will love them in the freeze dried state also.
To be precise Bloodworms are the Midge fly larvae. And yes, you cannot keep them alive and still prevent them from developing wings and taking to air :eek:

rrkss's freeze dried idea is fine.

Suby

Alestro Bakai

Shaman of the Whills
Apr 20, 2006
rrkss said:
Ditto. Freeze dried is just fine. From the ones I've tried, Hikari brand beats all hands down. My fish can't get enough of them...

Hikari freeze dried bloodworms

monkey_toes

"Maybe it's a hybrid"
Feb 7, 2006
Southwest Florida
freeze-dried = crap

At least as far as my cories are concerned. The hatchets and glowlights eat freeze-dried no problem, but the cories refuse to touch them (not that many get to the bottom, anyway). Besides, I've already bought the live ones. In the store, we determined that they did not metamorphose for several weeks at room temperature (pushing 80°F); I assume the process will take longer at 36°F or so in the fridge. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to say so. But back to the question: anybody know what they eat?

PeeJay

AC Members
Mar 2, 2005
Toronto
My Cories love frozen bloodworms...and they sink, unlike the freeze dried ones.

And sorry, I don't know what bloodworms eat.

Chickieepooh2u

Ooo, Ooo! Pick me pick me!!
Jan 12, 2006
Norfolk, NE
www.myspace.com
Honestly I'm not positive what they eat. I would think that since they are called blood worms that maybe they eat...blood. Kudos to you, because I could so not have those in my fridge. Ick. lol I get mine freeze dried.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
If it's chironomidae..the typical midge they forge on decaying plant matter(some eat plants).

they spend most of thier lives as larval stage in the mud at the bottom or ponds etc.

once they reach the pupal stage they wiggle/drify(slowly) to the top and hatch out.

I would take them and place them in small trays(use the old frozen blood worm or brine shrimp trays) and freeze them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store