How long can fish live without filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jasx

Registered Member
Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
My filter (AquaClear 300 Power Filter) died today, and I was wondering how long I have before I gotta get another one. Are we talking hours? days? or weeks? The fish I got are just some tetras and cories, nothing fancy.

O and if you can recommand which new filter to buy that'd be great too. My tank is 30g.

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
many fishkeepers actually keep fish without filters. it helps if your tanks understocked...water changes every few days should keep things sweet. i would get a new filter sooner rather than later, and the choice is really upto you. i find the best ones to be the new fluval plus range...best filters on the market in my opinion. they do their job impeciably well, and are literally silent..not a sound comes out of them. they come in four sizes...for 1ft tanks, 2ft tanks, 3ft tanks & 4ft tanks.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What do you mean by 'died'? Sometimes the AC needs to have the powerhead cleaned out, or a propeller replaced. If need be, the entire powerhead can be replaced with a comparably sized one--no big deal at all. I'd try cleaning it completely before purchasing a new filter.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by OrionGirl
What do you mean by 'died'? .....
I agree...

Check the impeller out. Make sure it spins freely. You may need to tap on it or lightly bang it to free up the 'motor'.

If it still doesn't work - find safety googles and the largest hammer you can and bash it to bits! If that's not possible, find a concrete wall and throw it as hard as yor can against the wall. Both can be equally fun and enriching! :D If this is still not possible, you can use it as a potted hoseplant holder...

After this process, as soon as you can, proceed to your nearest local FS and get a new one!

Jasx

Registered Member
Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Thanks all. I'm sure the whole thing is garbage now since the motor part of it doesnt spin at all. I cleaned it and everything. I plug it in and nothing happens: no noise, and the unit doesnt get warm like normal.

And I thnk I'll do the hammer thing that sounds like more fun! Or maybe a drill mmmmm :D

wdhdoc

AC Members
Jan 18, 2003
western Pa.
Visit site
filter dead-ppossible replacement

In my humble opinion, for a 30 gallon tropical tank you could not go wrong with a Penguin 330 dual biowheel hang on tank power filter, currently about $30 bucks, shipping included, at Petco.com...could have it in 4-5 days by my experience with Petco and could probably have it in 3 days with expedited shipping for another 6 or 7 bucks. This would give you great mechanical, chemical, and biological filtrration...

just my opinion of course.

wdhdoc

AC Members
Jan 18, 2003
western Pa.
Visit site
futher thoughts

I forgot to add that as much as I would like to support my LFS, virtually all dry goods can be purchased at about 1/2 to 2/3 the price at my LFS from the internet aquaria supply stores (petco, petsmart, BigAl's, etc). The penguin 330 at my LFS is 65 bucks at one LFS, and 80 bucks at another! Similar savings I've enjoyed on recent purchases include, for example, a Marineland HOT Magnum Pro for $63 (vs. $95 at lfs)), an Emperor 440 power filter for $45 (vs 80 bucks at LFS), etc.
God bless the LFS trying to make a living, but that's the way it is.

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
There is no Emperor 440, its just 400.

You should consider getting an Emperor 280. Great filter. Can't go wrong with it. At Big Al's, its about $30 or so. If I were you, I would get it so you know for the future which one you think is better as that has been much debated here.

Last edited:

scott

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Georgia
Visit site
I have an emperor 280 on my 29g and it works great. I got it for 35 dollars including shipping ( I think) from big Al's. I like the extra container as you can put carbon or peat etc. in it without messing with the filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store