PDA

View Full Version : Pleco upside down

fyrefly13
07-21-2006, 10:30 AM
Hello,

This past week i lost both my Dalmation mollys. This morning my big (9-10") Pleco was floating upside down, I thought he was dead. When I gently pulled him over to where I could see him, he started wiggling. Then I could see his abdomen was puffy. I gently touched it and he flipped over and swam to the bottom. He kept trying to stay upright but I'm sure when i get home from work he will be floating or dead, i'm afraid. I put some Maracyn-Two in the tank and took out the carbon. Does anyone think he has swim bladder? My brother had a goldfish that would swim upside down for a week or so but then miraculously recover. Should I move him to a hospital tank and if so, what do I need to put in it? (Air stone, heater, etc.)

I love this fish so much! Help!! :confused:

chrismidi
07-21-2006, 10:48 AM
definatly quarentine him ! treat with a commercial swimbladder treatment (your local store should help)
as to what to put in your 'hospital' tank - the less the better
no substate but good filtration and increase the 'night time' (leave the lights out for longer)

hope he recovers soon

chris

fyrefly13
07-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Thank you, I feel like I want to leave work and help him lol. Hopefully he'll still be kickin' when I get home! He is an awesome fish. Thank you for your help!

graphicdesign_r
07-21-2006, 10:54 AM
How big a tank is he in? If he's stunted he'll have swim bladder like symptoms and it is incurable.

TheZoo
07-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Swim bladder problems can sometimes be righted by very frequent water changes...do as many as you can. I dont think you need to put him in a q-tank, but you can if you want.

fyrefly13
07-21-2006, 11:20 AM
He is in about a 33 gal. tank. I hardly do any water changes, only when it gets cloudy. I have a had a lot of luck with the tank, not really any problems. I used to test the water but it didn't seem to make a difference either way.

graphicdesign_r
07-21-2006, 11:53 AM
If he has been in that tank very long he is definitely stunted. 33 gallons is in no way at all appropriate for a nine inch fish, and plecos are incredibly dirty fish. It is likely as well then that the pleco's pollution of the water killed your mollies.

Healthy plecos reach 18 inches plus. You need a new home for that fish.

Good luck in any case.

ninjaseal
07-21-2006, 12:24 PM
hey graphic that is tiger barb as ur avatar? if so wat kind..

TheZoo
07-21-2006, 1:31 PM
Water changes should be done (usually) weekly, unless you are VERY lightly stocked. Sounds like you need to have been doing weekly or bi weekly changes of at least 35%. Start p on the WC regime slowly, do 20% a day, dont want to shock the fish too much. But keep up with it and he might pull through. (And get a larger tank for him!)

tmtpowers
07-21-2006, 1:54 PM
Also, start testing again. Those test will tell you if you are in need of a water change and can also sometimes tell you why your fish is sick.

graphicdesign_r
07-22-2006, 10:57 AM
9 INCH PLECO, 33 GALLON TANK, THAT IS YOUR PROBLEM. THE FISH IS TOO BIG FOR THE TANK. Stop telling this guy that water changes are going to solve his problem... what are you all crazy?

Buy a bigger tank, or take the fish back to a store, or give it away to someone with a bigger tank.

:rant2:

hey graphic that is tiger barb as ur avatar? if so wat kind..

:OT:

It's a three inch female green tiger barb hybrid I've had her two and a half years.

For future reference NS, I talk about trolls, not to them. So don't bother asking me any more questions after your performance in the other thread.

fyrefly13
07-24-2006, 8:59 AM
First off, I am a girl, not a guy. Second, the fish died on Saturday. Thanks for everyone's advice. :sad:

graphicdesign_r
07-24-2006, 9:18 AM
Sorry for your loss.

You need to rule out disease before adding fish (since you've lost mollies and the pleco). If there is anything left alive in the tank you may want to quarantine the fish to watch for more problems and tear down the tank to sterilize everything OR medicate for possible causes (parasites etc.) removing carbon filters for the treatment period and then change out the water.

Also when restocking research fish appropriate to your tank size (actually, people asking here usually get good suggestions from the reputable members). I still think the fish's growth was stunted, the damage from which is irreversible.

fyrefly13
07-26-2006, 8:12 AM
The other fish seem to be doing fine, although the other pleco seems depressed, he has pretty much stayed in one place since the other fish died. He is about 5 inches long. The mollies I didn't have any luck with in the first place, we bought a male and female, and the female died, so I bought another which was pregnant. She had her babies when I wasn't home and I saw no sign of them. Then a week or two later the male died and several days after thet the female died. I think I am done with dalmation mollys!

blkwdw13
07-26-2006, 8:39 AM
What else do you have in the tank, it sounds highly overstocked to me.

fyrefly13
07-26-2006, 8:49 AM
one 5 in. chocolate albino pleco, one 1 1/2 in. lampeye, one 1 1/2 in. glass-type fish, one 1 1/2 in mickey mouse platy, one 3 in. silver dollar, two 2 in. goldfish, three 3 in. goldfish, one 2 in. african frog, one 1 1/2 in catfish.

actually it hardly looks like there are any fish in the tank.

blkwdw13
07-26-2006, 9:07 AM
It may look empty but a lot of those fish are still young and have a lot of growing to do still for example the goldfish and most likely the catfish.

TheZoo
07-26-2006, 9:48 AM
TH goldfish alone are overstocking this tank. They may be small now, but goldies need at least 15 gallons per fish. THey are also coldwater fish and shouldnt be mixed with tropicals.

S.A.
07-26-2006, 10:19 AM
What are your water parameters? If you are having that high of a die off, the water quality is really not ideal OR your tank is infected.
Are you acclamating(sp) them before releasing them?
Has your tank been cycled?

edit: sorry I had not read the second page. Zoo is correct. You have mixed types and are very overstocked. Goldfish and plecos are dirty dirty fish. Don't get me wrong. I have two plecos in separate tanks. One actually is ready to move up, I can't afford the tank so he will be going to a new home.
Your cold water's need a different tank with cooler conditions and ALOT more room. Your plecos need more room as do the silvers. What type of catfish do you have? Platy's and glass fish are schoolers. On their own they do not do as well. I don't mean to sound like I am lecturing. Just trying to give you the info you asked for, info I wish I would have had when I started.

I hope it works out. Most LFS will take fish. You may want to check if they will relieve you of your larger fish (goldfish, silvers, and pleco) then maybe add some more platies or glass fish (although you may want to research them more) so they can school.

graphicdesign_r
07-26-2006, 10:44 AM
I'm sure you will take offense to what I would have to say about how inapropriately your tank is stocked. People get very attached to their tanks and criticism of the tank people usually take as criticism about them.

If you came here for help realize that you are not going to like what some people tell you, but your pet's well being should take precedence over your feelings.

If you care about your pets, do something about it and start finding out what kind of fish you should put in your tank rather than putting in whatever you think looks pretty. Your tank has a terrible mix of fish.

Problems:

1. The tank is overstocked (even though the fish are small now, they should grow quickly). Overstocking leads to stunted fish, lousy water quality, and will practically guarantee that your fish will live short, stressed out lives.

2. You have a mix of tropicals and coldwater fish. This cannot be succesfully done for extended periods because goldfish kept at tropical temperatures are more susceptible to disease and vice versa.

3. You probably don't do water changes regularly. You should be changing 50% of your water out a week minimum.

Fish are not toys, they are living creatures and deserve proper care. Your coming here and asking questions is the first step towards becoming a responsible pet owner, so kudos on that at least. Now you have some idea of where to start.

:look:

fyrefly13
07-26-2006, 11:27 AM
What are your water parameters? If you are having that high of a die off, the water quality is really not ideal OR your tank is infected.
Are you acclamating(sp) them before releasing them?
Has your tank been cycled?

Water parameters? I am not having "that high" of a dieoff. The dalmations were the only ones that died (except the pleco, he was about 4 years old maybe older) and i have not had any problems with any other fish. Of course I am acclamating them before release. Cycled? Maybe when I moved a few months ago.

What type of catfish do you have?

Don't know.

Platys and glassfish are schooling fish. On their own they do not do as well.

My platys and glassfish have been around for more than 2 years.

I don't mean to sound like I am lecturing. Just trying to give you the info you asked for, info I wish I would have had when I started.

I don't take it as lecturing at all. I appreciate everyone's advice.

suby7272
07-26-2006, 11:56 AM
I fully agree and second every bit of what graphicdesign_r just said.
However, one cannot stress enough the importance of water changes. No matter how efficient your filters and all other accessories are, water changes are irreplacable, and they better be atleast 50% weekly (like what graphicdesign_r said). I guess your constant, few and far in-between water change schedule wasn't catching up with the growth of your fish. This was a clear case of ammonia spike !!

All the best !!

graphicdesign_r
07-26-2006, 11:59 AM
I don't take it as lecturing at all. I appreciate everyone's advice.

Then stop being defensive. How so?

Like "the pleco was 4 years old" statement. Plecos can live well over 10 years, so it is an abnormal death due to something regardless whether you take responsibility for it or not.

You have not responded with your plans, what will you be doing to fix the problems in your tank?

mduros
07-26-2006, 12:19 PM
I didn't respond to this thread because your fish had died. But people are right here. 3 fish in an established tank is a high die off. Unfortunately, your pleco should have been much bigger at 4 years old and probably did get stunted from the size of the tank.

You do need to do weekly water changes in your tank, you are right, you have been lucky. The first time I went to the LFS I go to now, a woman was in there with her boy and one of the staff was showing them how to do a water change. She was surprised and said they only changed it when it looked dirty, he laughed, I laughed... And he explained to her the need for regular weekly partial water changes. I do a water change a week, sometimes twice a week if I want to give my fishies a special treat. They love it!

Especially since you had 3 fish die you should test the parameters. I am suspecting that perhaps your tank is suffering from old tank syndrome, a condition brought on by lack of water changes.

I don't know how big your chocolate pleco will get, but you should find this out and don't get anymore plecos, they are not social fish and are much happier being the lone pleco. They will tolerate each other better when raised together. And please rehome your goldfish, or your tropical fish, the two need different water conditions to live healthy lives.

And remember, we're only trying to help. We've all been there and made some mistakes at one point or another.
Take care,
Mary.

S.A.
07-26-2006, 3:39 PM
Water parameters? I am not having "that high" of a dieoff. The dalmations were the only ones that died (except the pleco, he was about 4 years old maybe older) and i have not had any problems with any other fish. Of course I am acclamating them before release. Cycled? Maybe when I moved a few months ago.

Parameters are the levels ammonia, nitrate, nitrites, ph, hardness, and a few other readings. If you moved your tank a few months ago, how long was the tank out of commission? Or was it a quick move (like mine) where the tank was drained, partial water retained, and fished placed in a moving container and then set back up rapidly? If the tank was dried out (gravel and filter both) you may have lost some beneficial bacteria and it could have (not necessarily would have) taken several weeks to reestablish the balance.

What type of catfish do you have? Don't know.

Please do a search and find out. It makes a huge difference. Some cats get very large and are not social creatures and a waste producers. Others are naturally small (ottos) and should be kept with nonaggressive fish, don't create a HUGE bioload, and in a small school.

I am glad you are here to find out the info. We are here to help. Please let us know what you decide to do with your golds, silver dollars.