dwarf hair grass

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eurostar

AC Members
Jun 5, 2006
anyone have any tips about this plant? does it have roots or does it need a fine substrate to hold it in? or if anyone has some good pics of it please post em up

Aquabum

Always B itchin
Nov 27, 2004
It's a great foreground plant. I love the texture. It's a bright emerald green in my tank.

She spreads by runners. Good Co2 and adequate lighting will help her spread more quickly.

P.S. I have it planted in regular black gravel, and she's doing very well.

Last edited:

paku

Gimmie a snail. NOW!
Jul 31, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
I am also interested in bedding my 10g with DHG. I am curious to see what people post on this thread. Also would you consider a c02 system for a fully bedded 10g or would the tabs do fine? Also how would you clean the substrate with a bed of grass? I have an undergravel filter as well as power filter... would the UGF make bedding this tank any harder?

Aquabum

Always B itchin
Nov 27, 2004
paku said:
I am also interested in bedding my 10g with DHG. I am curious to see what people post on this thread. Also would you consider a c02 system for a fully bedded 10g or would the tabs do fine? Also how would you clean the substrate with a bed of grass? I have an undergravel filter as well as power filter... would the UGF make bedding this tank any harder?

I would use a Hagen Co2 system. It's perfect for a 10 gallon.

Cleaning the substrate with a bed of grass isn't too difficult. Just gravel vac lightly off the top so as not to pull up the plants.

I've never had a undergravel filter, But I've read that it's not a good idea for the plants.

misopeenut

AC Members
Nov 3, 2005
i used to have a bed of hairgrass and ive never vaccumed the substrate :)
gravel is fine but flora base and aquasoils are btter from my experience as the latter has nutrients already dosed.
i was just thinking about getthing hairgrass so went to the lfs and they told me that they just got the shippment so they cant sell it, what is that??

forgot to post a pic

Last edited:

twig

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
When I asked that question, oh wise bubbles, i was told that there was two types of dwarf hairgrass and that only one of the types can grow in a low light environment.

Ms.Bubbles

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
twig said:
When I asked that question, oh wise bubbles, i was told that there was two types of dwarf hairgrass and that only one of the types can grow in a low light environment.
So which type can be grown in low light?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store