Black moor is sick, what could he have?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Coronet

AC Members
Sep 30, 2006
Hey all, I have a sick black moor goldfish (he's approximately a year old) in a 20 gallon tank. The past month he has been sluggish spending a lot of time on the bottom of the tank. He'll sit there, not moving at all until someone comes up to the tank and he'll liven up a bit again. I'm not sure if this is normal behavior or not. He eats just fine as he always did, so I'm not sure what to think.

Also, he has been experiencing some fin rot (I think) which I have been treating with aquarium salt (2 tablespoons in the 20 gallon tank) and an anti-fungal medicine that turns the water blue/green. I have used the fungal medicine 2-3 times over the past month. His fins heal up, only to rip again later. :(

I also thought he might have had velvet due to them having it a few months ago due to stress. I treated them for velvet and ick (not sure which it was and the people at Petsmart suggested it could be both). I've also noticed the poor fish is swimming at a slight tilt. Very slightly to the left, that is.

His top fin isn't very perky as it's bent over, but I can't remember if he always looked like that or not. >_<;

Any suggestions as to what it could be? I change 30% of the water every week, vaccum the gravel when I do that, and use a water pH balancer to make sure nothing is out of whack.

Any help? I don't want the poor guy to get any more sick than he already is and die. :( He's such a sweet fish.

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
Wrong Forum, Will move for you. Hope your fish get better

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
first of all, stop using the ph balancer. a stable unchanging ph is much much better than a "perfect" one which has to be maintained.

black moors, like all goldfish, get big and produce a lot of waste. generally they should have a 20-30g tank without any other goldfish friends, and 20g more for each added goldie.
how many fish are in there with him, and what kind? you may be having problems with water quality - what are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings? tank temp?
also, you should throw an extra carbon filter pad in your filter if you can to get rid of all those meds. ich meds+velvet meds+ph chems+salt is overload imo.

Tongue33

AC Members
Dec 4, 2006
wataugachicken said:
first of all, stop using the ph balancer. a stable unchanging ph is much much better than a "perfect" one which has to be maintained.

black moors, like all goldfish, get big and produce a lot of waste. generally they should have a 20-30g tank without any other goldfish friends, and 20g more for each added goldie.
how many fish are in there with him, and what kind? you may be having problems with water quality - what are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings? tank temp?
also, you should throw an extra carbon filter pad in your filter if you can to get rid of all those meds. ich meds+velvet meds+ph chems+salt is overload imo.

:iagree: Definately stop with the Balancer.... The water that the goldfish sat in while waiting for you to buy it was closer to that of your tap than what you are doing to it every water change.. Your tank is not heated Right??? If so chuck the heater :)

In my personal experience Fin rot is a product of water quality... Answer the questions asked above and you will most likely get further assistance...

Aaron89

AC Members
Dec 2, 2006
England
put some dafia in the tank, as that helps clear the digistive system. i gave it to my dads cold water fish and they were fine, the next day i gave him some thawed out pea, let them float on tank, also good for digestive system and then he got better.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
that will cure constipation, but not the fin rot problem.

darkWinter

Registered Member
Dec 5, 2006
sounds like your fish has an internal bacterial infection. im not quite sure of the exact bacteria but the symptoms include laying on the tank bottom, fin and tail rot and long white poops with or without bubbles. i treated for this not long ago with an antibiotic food and melafix. you need the medicated food the most because it is an internal infection and water treatments dont get ingested enough.

daniellehaagen

AC Members
Oct 30, 2006
Honolulu, Hawaii
what kind of antibiotic food did you use? i noticed one of my goldies pooping a long white string today along with what may be some tail rot. I have been treating them for ich for about 13 days now (i explain more on another thread), but i believe that they have a secondary infection also. Should I stop treating with Quick Cure if I try this method of treatment for this internal bacterial infection?

darkWinter

Registered Member
Dec 5, 2006
i used the medi gold from goldfishconnection.com but any antibiotic food should work. meda gold is good because it has 3 different kinds of antibiotics. im not familiar with quick cure but since it is an anti paristic i would think you dont need it unless your fish actually have ick. from what ive read the fin rot clears up on its own after the internal infection is gone. i used melafix to aid in the fin rot clearing just in case. melafix is an "all natural antibiotic remedy" (quoted from the bottle). you can get it at most pet stores

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store