Should pregnant women do tank maintaince?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Omega

Clowning Around
Dec 29, 2005
Surrey, BC, Canada
My sister's preggy and I'm going to be an uncle!

Question; We know she can't do the cat litter, but what about her dirty fish tank? Has there been any problems with this?

jedoubblese

my tank is cleaner than your tank
Dec 17, 2006
Seattle and boise idaho
shouldnt be a problem until her belly gets too big and then no she will need help but water changes and stuff just fine as long as the tank is clean and shes not drinking the water it should be just fine

hmilstead

Heather
Aug 7, 2006
Glendale, AZ
Watch the heavy lifting if she uses big buckets for water changes. Water is 7-8 lbs per gallon. She should discuss with her doctor if she has weight restrictions on how much she should lift.

Kyohti

Curiouser and Curiouser...
Jan 5, 2007
Northeastern Oklahoma
Yeah, the main reason for no catbox changes is the bacteria and ammonia that can be inhaled and cause harm to the fetus. As long as she doesn't strain herself with the water changes... and of course she should probably steer clear of the handling of any chemicals as some can be absorbed into the skin.

But yeah... doctor knows best. But make sure the doctor understands how involving the aquarium process is because not all doctors know. (aka, have a list of chemicals she would use to maintain or clean the tank, inform him of the water changes and the need to haul water, and also of the cleaning of filters and possible bacteria and ammonia build-up in them)

Afterall, anyone needs all the pieces to make a complete puzzle, right? With that information, s/he'd be able to give you the best guidelines on how she can maintain her fish AND be a healthy mom for her little bambino!!

Congratulations to you both and good luck.... OH!! And post the doctor's opinions? Other women/fish-lovers might want the FYI for when they are hauling water at their third trimester!!! ^___^

Omega

Clowning Around
Dec 29, 2005
Surrey, BC, Canada
I will have her ask the doctor next time she goes and I will post the response.

In the meantime, I think I'll go over and do it for her. She says it's extremely dirty and who knows what kind of unsavory bacteria are growing in there. I'll do it the first time so it's clean and then await the doc's advise.

I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to syphon out all the poop from the gravel without having to change the water twice over. It's a 10-gallon and the gravel has never been syphoned before. :rolleyes:

Thanks all.

pugwash

Able Seaman
Mar 16, 2005
Land of Augusta
There are a lot of different bacteria in the tank, but these are water borne, unlike the cat litter which will have airborne bacteria. So long as she washes her hands/arms well afterwards, you shouldn't have any problems. The placenta is an amazing filter after all.

Had no probs when my lass was pregnant, except she wasn't able to help much after 6 months unsuprisingly. A healthy lad has since emerged and an avid aquarist!

sexymumma

Pregnant mummy!
Jan 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Well I am 6 months pregnant, and I do my tank maintance and I put my hand and arm in the tank.

I am very hygenic though and wash immediatly afterwards all up my arms and hands with soap.

garbon2535

AC Members
Nov 10, 2006
Nitrite Test Solution has been identified as harmful to the fetus/embryo according to the Material Safety Data Sheet. Most aquarium test chemicals are hazardous if swallowed, inhaled, or absorbed through the skin; however, Nitrite Test Solution has been specifically labeled as harmful to the fetus/embryo.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store