pregnant ghost shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
my ghost shrimp is full of eggs,what can I do to make sure they hatch?
I have heard they will only hatch in backish water,is that true?
thanks.

tai95

AC Members
Apr 24, 2005
It depends. There are a few species that are sold under the "ghost shrimp" name. Some are brackish and some are freshwater. If you have a BW species the eggs will need to hatch in BW. Even if you have a FW species I highly doubt you will have any surviving shrimplets. Here is a bit about breeding from petshrimp.com .

petshrimp.com said:
This shrimp is not as easy to propagate in the aquarium as most smaller algae eating shrimp of the Caridina or Neocaridina genus, since the Freshwater Glass Shrimp produces free floating larvae that need to be fed micro-food items before they molt into post-larva and assume a benthic (= on the ground) lifestyle. In most aquaria the larvae will not find enough food to develop into their next stage and will starve to death. However, in some old, established tanks with a lot of detritus and decomposing plant leaves on the ground the larvae might survive since there will be microorganisms in the water column. This shrimp does not require brackish water for larvae development as some of their cousins that hail from brackish water and marine habitats (such as Palaemonetes pugio and Palaemonetes vulgaris).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store