Bloody fins?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PlecoPal

Registered Member
Jan 31, 2007
Missouri
I looked in my tank today, which contains two small 1in calico fantail goldfish. One of my fish has blood appearing in its fins, spreading from his body outward. The tank is plenty big enough for them, and we're preparing a larger tank for them when they're ready. What do you think is the cause for his bloody fins?

phaedraeos

AC Members
Nov 30, 2006
Boston, MA
What are your ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH?

IME blood in fins quite often results from really poor water (if there's no other obvious cause like agressive fish)

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
sounds like Haemorrhagic septicaemia, caused by one or more of the bacterial class of Aeromonas, Pseudomonas or Vibrio. these bacterial species are common in many apparently "healthy" aquaria as latent infection waiting to happen. happen it does when fish are in poor and/or stressed condition for some reason, which can include overcrowding, moving, rough handling, inadequate/innapropriate diet, temperature fluctuation, wrong pH or pH fluctuation, build up of dissolved organic compounds --- the list is practically endless.

the red streaking you observe on the fins is the result of haemorrhaging of internal organs and accumulation of released blood in more external tissues of the body such as fins. other symptoms which may occur as the disease progresses include ulcers.

there's little point in medicating these fish unless you are willing to eliminate the cause first. if you do otherwise it just won't work.

septicaemia is extremely infectious and the other fish will succumb soon. the result is always death.

treatment: Furizolidone at 20mg/litre as a continuous bath for 7 days. complete water change -- 48 hour rest period. repeat treatment. Nifurpirinol at 0.2mg/litre as per above. Oxytetracycline at 75mg per kilogram of fish (yes, you have to weigh your fish) with food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store