PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Christmas Moss as Substrate

snickle
02-04-2007, 11:18 PM
I have some Christmas moss on order planing to do a moss wall backdrop in my plecos/cherry shrimp tank. Hoping to control the ammonia levels. Plecos generate lots of waste. Duh.

I have seen a few things about using java or Christmas moss as flooring in a tank.

How about the floor and back wall of the tank all covered in Chirstmas moss, instead of a gravel substrate.

Thoughts?

cohazard
02-04-2007, 11:33 PM
I wouldn't do it, because Jmoss and xmas moss collect a lot of debris, and especially if you have plecs in the tank, it will be more hassal than it's worth.

Mgamer20o0
02-05-2007, 1:00 AM
it really looks good on a back wall. seen a couple people talking about doing it on the bottom of the tank. you can always try it out and if you dont like it get rid of it.

Jaysn
02-05-2007, 1:05 AM
What about putting it on top of a ugf plate? Once it grows out you'll never know the plate is there, and you can lift it up to vacuum under it.

cohazard
02-05-2007, 1:08 AM
What about putting it on top of a ugf plate? Once it grows out you'll never know the plate is there, and you can lift it up to vacuum under it.

Good idea...

Sammie7
02-05-2007, 1:27 AM
If you wanted to do the back wall you could use the grid type things they do needle point with. That is what I am going to do on my 5 gal hex next weekend. I've been looking for something more natural for it. I already have a java moss carpet in my 10 gallon and it looks great. As for cleaning it I just take it out( it's attached to thin pieces of slate) and brush it with a toothbrush. :)