View RSS Feed

Neolamprologus crassus Breeding Journal

Following my attempts to successfully breed my Neolamprologus crassus.

1. They did it!

by , 02-14-2009 at 8:51 AM (Neolamprologus crassus Breeding Journal)
    The shaking seemed to pay off. They abandoned the nest they built in the front of the tank which was unfortunant because it would have been a great view of everything. After they abandoned that area they began to dig out a nest inside the rock formation but still near one of the openings. Then, the abandoned that too. They also started to, very aggressively, pick on one of the babies. I am going to make a guess and say that it was a male. It was not the biggest baby. In fact, the biggest baby was ...
    Categories
    Breeding
  2. Breeding update

by , 01-28-2009 at 3:39 PM (Neolamprologus crassus Breeding Journal)
    Last week I decided to rearrange the tank. I thought maybe a change of scenery might do the trick. They probably don't care much. However, I came home yesterday and they had started to dig out a 'nest' in the substrate. I have also raised the tank temp. up to 78 degrees. There has been a lot of body shaking by female. I'm not sure if females usually shake but she's doing the shaking in this tank. If they lay eggs where they have dug out the nest I will have an awesome view of the entire cycle. ...
    Categories
    Breeding
  3. Neolamprologus crassus Breeding Journal

by , 01-14-2009 at 10:47 AM (Neolamprologus crassus Breeding Journal)
    Back in Aug. 2008 I finally was able to get my crassus to breed. 4 months later I have not have another spawn. I originally thought it was because the parents needed time to raise the fry, but now the fry are around an inch and they still have not spawned again. So, I decided to create a journal to log my attempts to get them to breed again.

With the first batch of fry, there were 3 adults in the tank. I believe I have 1 female and 2 males. The reason I noticed the fry was because ...
    Categories
    Breeding