View RSS Feed

Flaringshutter

1. Update on the tanks, etc.

Well, the 120 is fish-only again! I'm eyeing new fish but I really don't have the room (fortunately!). The goldfish are getting a praziquantel regimen soon, to get rid of all those parasitic nasties. Hooray! Since the crushed shell moved with all the snails into the 55g, the 120 got some lovely black gravel again.

Here's a quick snap.

And ta-dah! The 55g. Snails ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Terrible day.

Very, very bad news today. I scoped the detritus when I cleaned out the filter and found all sorts of icky bugs, which might explain Upstart's big belly and Alexei's gasping.

Found both juvenile stages of anchor worms, even though none of the fish are showing the adult worms anywhere. Also found a weird bristly worm that I can't ID, and lots of roundworms (nematodes). I just can't ID them all - I'm a microscope novice - and so it's time for a vet visit. I'm not looking forward to ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Yay for microscopes!

Woo! I did actually buy a microscope - a gorgeous old lab workhorse, 1960s Bausch & Lomb off Ebay. Paid $60! It was a steal at that price - 40x, 100x, and 400x, with revolving lenses and an electric light under the stage. Everything is in incredible condition.

So I did a scrape & scope today, and everyone is clean! I even scraped a couple snails, out of curiosity, and they're clean too! I'm thrilled.

Cool things to see, too. I pulled a couple of spixi/marisa ...

Updated 07-24-2008 at 4:35 PM by Flaringshutter

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Finally broke down and decided...

To buy a microscope. The kids have been flashing once in a while lately, and spending a lot of time on the bottom. Of course, the tank is quite hot - up to 86 at one point - but even so it rarely gets above 82 and I want to be sure it's the heat and not ill health.
    Besides, I have quite a few snails of unknown and possibly wild-caught origins in the tank now and since snails are fluke carriers... better safe than sorry. A little extra money spent on microscopes is much better than a lot ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Full tank shots & fishy portraits.

I took a few shots of the tank today, with the new light, freshly changed water, and newly sunk driftwood!

The girls - Upstart & Alexei.

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast