by, 04-05-2010 at 2:50 AM (3115 Views)
I hadn't seen either of the two MTS snails that were occupying the 6.6 gallon for a few days, and started to get a bit worried. Unsure why I would feel that way considering MTS aren't exactly the most "out and about" critters in the world. Shortly thereafter I did however manage to spot a new baby MTS happily munching on whatever biofilm it could nibble off the front "glass", so I guess all is well in snail world.
Another new addition...a baby Anubias barteri var barteri that I plucked off the mother rhizome from the 28 gallon. This is one of two plantlets that was growing on a old section of rhizome that I'd already removed from the main plant. I've never cut a plantlet off the main rhizome before, but since it was already growing it's own roots it will hopefully be okay.
The moss keeps getting bushier too.
In addition to the baby snail I've also found some other new critters inhabiting the tank...a small unknown copepod that dissappeared to quickly for me to get a good look at, and some small (less than 1.5 mm) worms that might be planaria. Those I mostly spotted on the tank walls, presumably feeding on biofilm, and are so tiny and thin it's hard to tell what they are exactly. I guess that is what happens when there are no predators around to consume them! Contemplating temporarily moving a small fish in there, but I'll wait and see if it's necessary.
There was some duckweed entangled in the moss I'd received, but the HoB filter wasn't being especially kind to it. Most pieces were simply getting caught up under the rim of the tank. I decided to try a DIY "corral" was fashioned out of a margerine tub rim, but my efforts in freeing all of the remaining duckweed pieces were in vain...most of them eventually got out of the rimmed area and have subsequently dissapeared. There is some ricca still entangled (and slowly growing) in the moss, so I'll leave it there for now less it meets the same fate.
The 28G after waterchange.
I'm happy that I can finally start lowering the temperature in the 28G. At the moment I'm lowering it by about two degrees a day. It may have been too late for some of my plants however. :/ The Java Moss looks flat out terrible, and have had a strange incident where some of the leaves of the Java Fern plantlets just flat out melted for no known reason.