View RSS Feed

Fish Freaks Corner

Moving to a new home 2200 mile away with my Tank, Fish, and Plants

Rate this Entry
I was moving from Washington State to Kentucky and wanted to take my tank, fish, and plants with me. Here is what I did that worked.

Washington State to Lexington, KY. (2200 miles) for those who might be planning a long moving trip.

A three days driving trip meant my fish and plants were going to be in transit for 5 to 6 days. I planned on leaving early in the morning so I had to tear down my tank the day before. I arrived late in the day after driving 3 days and was beat. So my fish had to wait for a day or two before I had the tank all back together and cleaned ready for them to be placed back in it. I didn't loose one fish or plant. Also my plants grew while they were in a bucket.

I put the fish in an upright metal Igloo (Ice Chest) with water from the tank. I also placed my drift wood and my Amazon Sword in there as well to help the fish be able to hide a bit and feel a little safe. I purchased 2 new white 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot. One I placed all of my substrate with as much mulm as I could. It actually filled the bucket from my 29 gallon. I added enough water from the tank to just cover the substrate and covered it with its lid.
I filled a second new white bucket with tank water and placed all the rest of my plants in it and covered it with its lid.
I used a 130 watt DC/AC converter which was plugged into my cigarette lighter. I plugged my power strip into the DC/AC converter. I plugged in my canister filter and hung the hoses down under the drift wood to keep them under water. I also used my air pump with the air stone and 100 watt submersible heater.
I just laid the lid to the Igloo on top the hoses and cords on the Igloo leaving the water down about 8 to 10 inches from the top.
Result: No fish deaths, the plants all grew some, no water spilled, didn't have to do any water changes, I just topped up the water level a little a couple of times, and most of the good bacteria in the filter and substrate survived.
After setting up the tank again, plants, fish, etc, with the same water, everything seems to be growing better than ever. The next day I did a 50 % water change and then again 3 days later. The fish are happy and the plants are happy, and I am happy too.

When I stayed at a motel, I asked if they had an outlet that I could plug an extension cord into, and just ran the cord in through the door jam and plugged the power strip into it so my battery would not go dead. I don't know if it would have or not but just to be safe I did it anyway.

I hope this helps someone.

Joe

Submit "Moving to a new home 2200 mile away with my Tank, Fish, and Plants" to Digg Submit "Moving to a new home 2200 mile away with my Tank, Fish, and Plants" to del.icio.us Submit "Moving to a new home 2200 mile away with my Tank, Fish, and Plants" to StumbleUpon Submit "Moving to a new home 2200 mile away with my Tank, Fish, and Plants" to Google

Comments

That's a really impressive feat. And great post about it! I think this is a good reference for an emergency situation as well as a long move.

What sort of fish do you have?
    My fish are listed in my Blog under tank spec's. Some of them have changed since then.
    Joe