Convict fry questions etc...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sonjamo

AC Members
Jun 11, 2007
By the way Nemo, I just recovered all my convict fry into a 10gal and i found a great, quick and super easy method to getting them out without spending hours trying to catch such tiny fry with a net. I used only the tubing of my syphon and it scooped each and every one of them quick and gently without hurting them. worked wonder for me. Had them all out the 20gal within a couple minutes!

How are your fry coming along?

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
I wouldn't for that one to break, you should invest in a new one soon. good filtration is important. Also if you're not using a sponge filter (so that the fry dont get sucked up) you should do something like put hosiery over the intake or something similar.
sponge filters are good because the fry can eat stuff that grows on the filters
Heya,

Congrats on the spawning!! One of the good things about convicts is they are great beginner cichlids and they breed like rabbits.. If you make errors, they will reward you soon enough with a new batch!

That being said, I never had a problem with my male eating the fry, but I think this could be the case. Now my krib pair did well, until their 3rd batch and the female caught the male eating fry and beat him up. LOL! Had to find her a new mate.

I would try a nice seasoned sponge filter they are awesome!

Good luck with the cons they were my first cichlid over 10 years ago and one of my favorites still today!

Be well!

Ang
By the way Nemo, I just recovered all my convict fry into a 10gal and i found a great, quick and super easy method to getting them out without spending hours trying to catch such tiny fry with a net. I used only the tubing of my syphon and it scooped each and every one of them quick and gently without hurting them. worked wonder for me. Had them all out the 20gal within a couple minutes!

How are your fry coming along?
you guys are saying that a sponge filter is good enough for a 20g with these 2 4inch cons? my filter is definitely slighty noisy since i went to sand and these two devils keep digging and churning sand. you can tell because the driftwood is powdered with it. it looks tacky and i'm thinking of taking it out since it always gets covered in sand. i tried the hoisery thing and it reduced the suction about 90%. i don't know what else i can do. besides it's already damaged i think. the flow is the same, just a tad noisey.

my first batch of fry of about 35 remaining are doing well in their own 20g. the siphon trick works until they get a bit stronger, they they are too fast;)

nmrsco

AC Members
Jan 6, 2007
rhode island
you guys are saying that a sponge filter is good enough for a 20g with these 2 4inch cons? my filter is definitely slighty noisy since i went to sand and these two devils keep digging and churning sand. you can tell because the driftwood is powdered with it. it looks tacky and i'm thinking of taking it out since it always gets covered in sand. i tried the hoisery thing and it reduced the suction about 90%. i don't know what else i can do. besides it's already damaged i think. the flow is the same, just a tad noisey.

my first batch of fry of about 35 remaining are doing well in their own 20g. the siphon trick works until they get a bit stronger, they they are too fast;)
get an good-sized sponge filter and a decent air pump, and it will be fine. my 20g has been running for months on only a sponge filter and I also have 2 cons and fry(which the male recently ate). I am going to get a new filter soon though because the sponge filter is pretty noisy

Sonjamo

AC Members
Jun 11, 2007
I did the pantyhose thing and it was alright. I'm currently using the mesh part of a small next that was ripped and it works a bit better simply because it actually has holes in it so the filter can still work but just fine enough so that the fry don't get sucked up. It however is a big inconvenience because you have to remove all the waste from the net/hosiery. I haven't tried a spongefilter yet but am definitely looking into it.

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
get an good-sized sponge filter and a decent air pump, and it will be fine. my 20g has been running for months on only a sponge filter and I also have 2 cons and fry(which the male recently ate). I am going to get a new filter soon though because the sponge filter is pretty noisy
I did the pantyhose thing and it was alright. I'm currently using the mesh part of a small next that was ripped and it works a bit better simply because it actually has holes in it so the filter can still work but just fine enough so that the fry don't get sucked up. It however is a big inconvenience because you have to remove all the waste from the net/hosiery. I haven't tried a spongefilter yet but am definitely looking into it.
ty so much folks! maybe i'll get a sponge filter. mine is so loud now i can't stand the noise. panty hose just clogged the crap out of mine. my filter is pooey now.

richos

AC Members
Sep 13, 2006
Gold coast, Australia
The sponge filter is always a great idea when dealing with fry.
Alternatively you can syphon out the fry as soon as they swim back up from the gravel. (When they hatch the yolk sac is attached to them and will drag them down into the gravel untill they have consumed it, then they will swim back up out of the gravel)
Just stick a hose into the middle of the swarm and sypon them into a bucket (make sure the bucket is 1/4 full b4 you start sucking up the fry) they are tough and this will not harm them at all. Then raise the fry in another tank (I have a 50 litre tank I use for the first few weeks) with a cycled sponge filter in it. For the first week or so, you will need micro food (your LFS will have fry food) then you can feed them freshly hatched brine shrimp or finely crushed flake or pellet food. (I just crush some pellets in a dessert bowl with the back of a tablespoon)

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
The sponge filter is always a great idea when dealing with fry.
Alternatively you can syphon out the fry as soon as they swim back up from the gravel. (When they hatch the yolk sac is attached to them and will drag them down into the gravel untill they have consumed it, then they will swim back up out of the gravel)
Just stick a hose into the middle of the swarm and sypon them into a bucket (make sure the bucket is 1/4 full b4 you start sucking up the fry) they are tough and this will not harm them at all. Then raise the fry in another tank (I have a 50 litre tank I use for the first few weeks) with a cycled sponge filter in it. For the first week or so, you will need micro food (your LFS will have fry food) then you can feed them freshly hatched brine shrimp or finely crushed flake or pellet food. (I just crush some pellets in a dessert bowl with the back of a tablespoon)
ty:)

AngJo72

AC Members
Aug 14, 2007
North Carolina
Heya Nemo,

A nice sponge filter will do fine in a 20 gallon. Just remember to not overfeed the fish. A main problem is people overfeed their fish. Also, the more frozen or live foods used, the less the waste. I have several 15 to 30 gallon tanks running with the triangle sponge filters bayleespapa sells on aquabid. Every few months I squeeze and rinse them out and put them back in.

Good luck!!

Heya Puddle freak! Looking good.. :)

Ang

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store