show me a filter that does not move top water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
I am sick of my tanks rippling at the top, I want to add some floating plants . I just bought new Hobs but would love to have floating fern and the likes. Is there a good filter that will not cost me a ton of money? and do as well as the HOB's? I have 2 HOB's on big tanks.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I would think you may be out of luck if you are running HOB. With canisters, you can always extend the discharge and diffuse it.

Have you thought of attaching a media pad or sponge to the HOB output to help soften the discharge?

kitokatlin

1.21 Gigawatts!
I would think you may be out of luck if you are running HOB. With canisters, you can always extend the discharge and diffuse it.

Have you thought of attaching a media pad or sponge to the HOB output to help soften the discharge?
Exactly, with and HOB it will always ripple, you can always fill the water line so it is as close as possibly to the HOB and it will ripple little to none at all, otherwise get a canister filter.

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
I do keep my water up to the top, but after 2 days my plants are once again turned upside down and around the tank. canister? whats a good kind with out paying a fortune, and are they cheaper to keep going then HOB's?

feemia

AC Members
Mar 20, 2007
South-Central Washington
Cut a strip a few inches long from the leg of some pantyhose and wrap it around the filter so that the water flows through it when it exits the filter. It will soften the flow of the water. I've done that with almost all of my HOBs.

lucy42083

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
I don't know if they are cheaper to keep going than an HOB, but they're not expensive to keep going, but yeah it's more of an initial investment. I have found that the Rena XP series are excellent canister filters, and relatively affordable (though def more than an HOB). The XP1 is $99 (@ drs foster and smith) and would be great for your 29, and I believe the XP2 is $129 and I think would be ok for your 55, maybe an XP3 though. I think canisters are the way to go, but yeah you're going to have to pay more.

Icom

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Iowa
I don't know if they are cheaper to keep going than an HOB, but they're not expensive to keep going, but yeah it's more of an initial investment. I have found that the Rena XP series are excellent canister filters, and relatively affordable (though def more than an HOB). The XP1 is $99 (@ drs foster and smith) and would be great for your 29, and I believe the XP2 is $129 and I think would be ok for your 55, maybe an XP3 though. I think canisters are the way to go, but yeah you're going to have to pay more.
go here for the Rena Filstar filters

www.kensfish.com

cheapest I've seen

lucy42083

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
WHOA great price -- have you ordered there before? How is their customer service? Shipping? I'm just always hesitant to order from an online retailer without a referral/recommendation, no matter what the price, but sounds like a great deal!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store