Post your favorite summer recipe

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MsPuff

aquaholic
May 28, 2008
Saint John, NB Canada
So yeah... this is the first year we have our very own beautiful bbq... and we have had burgers and hotdogs close to a dozen times now.... but we would like to explore what else there is and also hear some great side dish recipes or even picnic... basically anything summery. So we figured we would turn to our friends at AC to see what their summer menu's include.

SpockthePuffer

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Pittsburgh
I haven't really made much of anything interesting.

I've been eating a lot of baby spinach with fresh strawberries, blue cheese, mandarin oranges and a bit of raspberry pecan dressing.

I also made a really easy parfait dessert, just bought some clear plastic cups and the instant vanilla pudding and cut up some fresh strawberries and layered the two ingredients in the cups. It was pretty much the easiest thing ever but it was good :D

If I do actually make something real I will post an update, lol

j_chicago

Usually Drunk
May 12, 2007
Chicago, Il
Real Name
Jason
One thing I try to do at least once or twice a summer is smoke ribs over mesquite chips for 8 hours. Then coat them in BBQ sauce and grill for awhile.

My wife also coats shrimp with some kind of lemon pepper seasoning then we grill those too.

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
i had to make punch for a picnic, so i froze water ballons until it was an inch thick ice shell, drilled a hole in it, drained the water and filled it with kool aid, froze that, and floated them in the punch bowl. probably be good with vodka

FluffynTex

Whatever it is -- I didn't do it!
May 21, 2008
West Texas
Corn Bread Salad
Bake a big pan of cornbread and let it cool. Chop up 1 medium/large onion, 1 small green bell pepper, 1 small red bell pepper and 1 small yellow bell pepper. Crumble corn bread and add the diced ingredients. Add 1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup and ranch dressing. Mix until crumbly and moist. So simple but soooo good.

Coconut Cake
Bake a white cake and let cool. Poke holes in top of cake down to bottom with butter knife and as you do pour in coconut cream, do this all over the cake, top with cool whip and then sprinkle flaked coconut over the cool whip. It's super moist and yummy.

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
You have to do some asparagus on the grill...it is sooooo yummy, just throw a little seasoning on it (like Mrs. Dash "garlic or onion and herb) or some lemon pepper. I usually put some aluminum foil under it so it doesn't fall through.

Corn on the cob, YUMMY!!!

Then of coarse fish!

I don't really have "recipes" I just kinda do what I want.

I do have a recipe for Tequila lime chicken...it's done on the grill and sooooooo good, if you want it..I can find it for you, I don't really follow the recipe anymore I just through it all together.

FireDancer7905

I'm in love!
Jul 15, 2006
SJ Bay Area
www.opheliabreathes82.blogspot.com
Real Name
Brandy
I love this pasta salad because it has a kick that most lack. My in-laws and extended family devoured a double batch today. It's also really good with a bit of shredded chicken mixed in:

Summer Time Penne Pasta Salad

1 lb penne pasta
1 garlic clove, quartered
1 tsp salt
1 cup loosely packed with stemmed fresh parsley
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (takes about 3 lemons)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup olive oil
1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
2/3 cup dried currants
2/3 cup toasted pine nuts (optional-- I don’t include these; you can also
use less of them)

Cook the pasta al dente. Drain, rinse under cold water, and drain again well. (Note: while the pasta is cooking, make the dressing!)

In a food processor, blend garlic and salt to a paste. (Note: without a food processor, I press or chop the garlic and grind it with the salt in a bowl, by hand. Then I put it in a blender to continue the next step.) Add 1 cup parsley and mince. Blend in lemon juice, vinegar, curry, sugar, cumin, and pepper.

Gradually add oil (through a feed tube, if you have a food processor) in a steady stream.

Pour the dressing over the pasta. Add onions, currants, and pine nuts, and toss until mixed. Season with pepper if desired.

Cover and refrigerate till chilled-- approximately 2 hours.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Wrap that asparagus in a nice slice of pancetta and grill that with some garlic and olive oil. I love grilling honeyed bananas and serving them with melted chocolate/caramel and ice cream with toasted coconut on top. Soaking peaches in liquor and grilling them is really nice too. My favorite bbq dish has to be peanut chicken though. Here's what you need:

1.5 - 2lbs skinless chicken breast
1tsp cumin
1 tsp garam masala
1 can coconut milk
peanut butter
sweet chili sauce
salt
pepper
2 cloves of garlic minced

Fillet the chicken breasts into thin cutlets. Marinate the cutlets in the cumin, garam masala, garlic, salt and pepper, and enough coconut milk to coat everything. Marinate for at least a few hours before grilling. Basting with the marinade while the cutlets are on the grill definitely helps the final product.

For the sauce, heat the peanut butter over a low heat until it begins to melt. Loosen it up with the coconut milk, and water if necessary. Add the sweet chili sauce to taste. After this, it will probably be necessary to add more water to obtain a good consistency. The sauce keeps really well and is great on toast also. The chicken and sauce also make really good sandwiches with lightly pickled sweet cucumbers.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
1 quart of water, two packs of Kool-Aid, 1 cup of sugar...put in blender w/lots of ice and make Slushies. lol....

you can even add vodka or rum if you like.

I know...it's so ghetto. but that's how I roll. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store