Shrimp colouring

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lucky777ca

AC Members
Jan 25, 2006
I bought 10 red cherry shrimps from another fish keeper here and I just noticed that there was a shrimp that was a light brown colour (turns out to be a female). After more than a week in the tank, all the females have changed from a light pink into the normal red colour, with the exception of the brown female, which is currently berried.

Is it normal for some cherry shrimps to be this colour or is it a different type of shrimp?

IMG_0001.JPG

lucky777ca

AC Members
Jan 25, 2006
I guess I'll be separating her from the rest of the group and see how her babies turn out.

Thank you for the reply everyone.

Danimal62

AC Members
Dec 24, 2007
I don’t know why everybody is so convinced that it is a crossbreed. By crossbreed I am assuming that everybody means it is a hybrid (crossbreed could also mean that it is the result of two color variants of the same species).

Looking at the picture there is nothing that screams hybrid to me. It looks like a wild type Neocaridina sp. of one sort or another.

Check with your supplier and see if they keep their cherries with any other shrimp or any other verities of Neocaridina heteropoda. There is a chance this shrimp is a completely different species, or it could be a cross between Yellow Shrimp and Red Cherry Shrimp which causes a “wild type” Neocaridina heteropoda.

You did the right thing separating it!

I would love to know why everybody thinks it is a hybrid?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I agree danimal, its not a hybrid, but another color variation in neocaridina. It certainly does look like a more wild type. I think there is some confusion on semantics. Hybrids are mixes of species. Neocaridina are all the same species, just different color morphs. So when they breed, they aree not hybrids, just produce different colors.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store