Unknown Tunnel Maker

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crazyhaggis

AC Members
May 6, 2007
Scotland
I’m having a strange problem if it is a problem. The rocks on the right hand side of my tank keep getting under-mined. It is although something is making tunnels under them. Over time this causes my rocks to collapse. I’ve noticed sometimes some of the tunnel’s ‘entrances’ are blocked with shells. During the day my Skunk shrimp likes to hang around this side of the tank, alhtough I've never seen her tunneling. When I check the tank at night I find her hiding behind the rocks on the left side of the tank.

Does anyone have any idea what could be making the tunnels, should I be worried about it and is there anything I can do to prevent rock falls?

Mustang Boy

AC Members
Aug 6, 2008
Tampa,FL
you may have a mantis shrimp in your tank it couldve come with your live rock as a hitchhiker and i know there are species that tunnel in the sand

manowar669

AC Members
Sep 11, 2004
pistol or mantis shrimp. The shells around the entrance seem like the behavior of my mantis and pistol shrimp (different tanks). they like to re-arrange the furniture.

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
pistol or mantis shrimp. The shells around the entrance seem like the behavior of my mantis and pistol shrimp (different tanks). they like to re-arrange the furniture.
that would be my guess too.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Are you hearing any strange noises coming from your tank that you can't figure out? Like "clicking" or the sound of a small tree branch snapping? Those would be the best indicator that you have something like a Mantis/Pistol shrimp in there.

While it is common for the blue damsels to dig holes, it is not common for that fish to stack shells/rocks outside the hole. That is definately a trait of shrimp and jawfish.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
Sounds like a pistol shrimp to me

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005
Yes. Fill in the holes, then lay-in-wait after the lights go out. You will probably see the perpetrator..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store